• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Strato 6TB HD Failure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogey2292

Hi everyone, just received a email from K Scape the drive failed. Rusty indicates I cannot replace the drive!

I don’t want to buy a new one even at a 25% discount. Any ability to get this repaired? Does it have any value to sell?

Thank you all,
Dave

Sorry Dave, but the drive cannot be replaced, so if it fails when the unit is out-of-warranty the only option is returning it for a discount on a replacement. If it has any resale value at all, it would only be as a trade-up component for that same 25% discount, so obviously you would get a dollar value less than whatever amount is represented by the discount, assuming someone wants to go through the trouble.

Note to owners of Strato's with internal storage: Keep the Strato under warranty as long as you can (meaning consider purchasing the additional 2 year extension available before the original 3 year warranty expires).

Jim

Sorry Dave, but the drive cannot be replaced, so if it fails when the unit is out-of-warranty the only option is returning it for a discount on a replacement. If it has any resale value at all, it would only be as a trade-up component for that same 25% discount, so obviously you would get a dollar value less than whatever amount is represented by the discount, assuming someone wants to go through the trouble.

Note to owners of Strato's with internal storage: Keep the Strato under warranty as long as you can (meaning consider purchasing the additional 2 year extension available before the original 3 year warranty expires).

Jim
Is this true? If this is true I have complete buyers remorse for this product after a few weeks. I cannot believe you can't switch out a HDD if it fails. You have to buy a whole new unit!? These things are ridiculously overpriced as it is, I can't believe this is their service policy. Definitely thinking about returning this now. Wow.

Hi everyone, just received a email from K Scape the drive failed. Rusty indicates I cannot replace the drive!

I don’t want to buy a new one even at a 25% discount. Any ability to get this repaired? Does it have any value to sell?

Thank you all,
Dave
How old was it when it failed? I’m also curious about environmental things like temperature, dust, etc. I’m not looking to give an excuse, but I just bought a Strato S so I am simply curious.

Is this true? If this is true I have complete buyers remorse for this product after a few weeks. I cannot believe you can't switch out a HDD if it fails. You have to buy a whole new unit!? These things are ridiculously overpriced as it is, I can't believe this is their service policy. Definitely thinking about returning this now. Wow.

Yes, it is the policy. The drive is not user replaceable in the Strato's that have storage, and K does not offer a repair service. This is why I've been recommending to clients they purchase the Terra/Strato-C combination versus a Strato with storage (only the Strato-S 6TB is available new from K). The drives in the Terra servers are replaceable. To be clear, it is still unusual for the drive to fail in the short term, but it is obviously always possible. There are many, many Strato's with storage out there, many out of warranty, that are still operating as they did when purchased.

I need to also be clear that the Strato-"S" units have different drives than those used in the original Strato, and amongst the 100+ we have sold, only one had a problem, and fortunately he was still under warranty so the unit was replaced by K.

@jmf, most, if not all of us understand that environmental conditions impact longevity as well, these are just computers.

I own and sell Strato-S 6TB's, but wouldn't if I believed there was some unreasonable risk of drive failure. On the few occasions that I've sold a used Strato-6TB (original 2RU model), I've made K's policy clear to the buyer.

@muscles, if you bought a Strato-S model, I would not be concerned, but I would keep it under warranty for the full 5 years, and as @jmf implies, I'd make sure the operating environment properly supported the component.

Jim

Yes, it is the policy. The drive is not user replaceable in the Strato's that have storage, and K does not offer a repair service. This is why I've been recommending to clients they purchase the Terra/Strato-C combination versus a Strato with storage (only the Strato-S 6TB is available new from K). The drives in the Terra servers are replaceable. To be clear, it is still unusual for the drive to fail in the short term, but it is obviously always possible. There are many, many Strato's with storage out there, many out of warranty, that are still operating as they did when purchased.

I need to also be clear that the Strato-"S" units have different drives than those used in the original Strato, and amongst the 100+ we have sold, only one had a problem, and fortunately he was still under warranty so the unit was replaced by K.

@jmf, most, if not all of us understand that environmental conditions impact longevity as well, these are just computers.

I own and sell Strato-S 6TB's, but wouldn't if I believed there was some unreasonable risk of drive failure. On the few occasions that I've sold a used Strato-6TB (original 2RU model), I've made K's policy clear to the buyer.

@muscles, if you bought a Strato-S model, I would not be concerned, but I would keep it under warranty for the full 5 years, and as @jmf implies, I'd make sure the operating environment properly supported the component.

Jim
Just to be clear, your recommendation would be for a Strato C and a Terra 24/48/72? The new Compact Terra’s drives are not field replaceable.

Jim
If a Strato S has a drive failure, can it function like a Strato C? IE - get a terra and use the Strato with the bad drive to function as the front end?

Jim
The drive can certainly be replaced. K doesn’t allow it to be replaced is the more accurate statement. That is a little ridiculous …..

Just to be clear, your recommendation would be for a Strato C and a Terra 24/48/72? The new Compact Terra’s drives are not field replaceable.

I think this needs to be cleared up, I'll post the official word tomorrow, but I've always been told that the Terra Server drives are field replaceable. There was never a distinction made between the compact Terra's and the full sized Terra servers. I'm still saying all Terra drives are replaceable.

Jim

It makes no sense to me that a $6,000 piece of equipment with a component prone to failure can’t be serviced after 3 years. I’m not saying it needs to be cheap. $1,000 would seem a price that both covers the cost to repair and is in line with the high end nature of Kaleidescape.

What is the rationale for this policy that I am missing?

It totally has me rethinking whether I would add a Strato to my Premiere system, especially since the only affordable option for me would be to go used.

I think this needs to be cleared up, I'll post the official word tomorrow, but I've always been told that the Terra Server drives are field replaceable. There was never a distinction made between the compact Terra's and the full sized Terra servers. I'm still saying all Terra drives are replaceable.

Jim
Would be good to know, my comment was based upon this thread…..

The drive can certainly be replaced. K doesn’t allow it to be replaced is the more accurate statement. That is a little ridiculous …..

Well, sure, of course any drive in any component is replaceable, but because of the design it is not something they allow owners to do, and it becomes a repair situation. K opted to to not have have a repair service many years ago, so nothing has changed. Instead of repair they offer a replacement Strato at a discount. They also replace the Strato at no cost if the owner's unit is still under warranty.

Jim

Would be good to know, my comment was based upon this thread…..

Well since that came from Mike, I'll go with that answer (I must have missed that post somehow), clearly Mike would know. I've been told they were replaceable, and that's what I've been sharing, and Mike's comment indicates that is not correct. I will still confirm.

Jim

Well, sure, of course any drive in any component is replaceable, but because of the design it is not something they allow owners to do, and it becomes a repair situation. K opted to to not have have a repair service many years ago, so nothing has changed. Instead of repair they offer a replacement Strato at a discount. They also replace the Strato at no cost if the owner's unit is still under warranty.

Jim
Is there a distinction between the S and non-S Stratos? Ie - an S is replaceable, but the non S is not?

Do you know if the unit (Strato or Strato S) would still operate as a "front end" to a terra server if the hard drive fails?

I'll confirm with K before answering the question regarding a Strato's ability to work with a Terra after a drive failure. I do have an answer, but given the misinformation I received (or misunderstood), I'd rather confirm before answering.

Based on what I was told there is a distinction between the original Strato and the Strato-S in the drive's being used for storage (higher grade drives in the "S"), but no other relevant differences.

Jim

Everyone take a deep breath, this is NOT as bad as some think it is, and because these compact Terra's are new models, and under full warranty for the stated periods, K has not evaluated what is needed to keep them operational, and this is part of what determines repair/replacement policy. I just spoke with K, they are now aware of your concerns, and someone will address this in the coming days.

Just because a product is not field serviceable, doesn't mean it isn't serviceable, let's keep that in mind and wait for an official comment from K.

Jim

I'll confirm with K before answering the question regarding a Strato's ability to work with a Terra after a drive failure. I do have an answer, but given the misinformation I received (or misunderstood), I'd rather confirm before answering.

Based on what I was told there is a distinction between the original Strato and the Strato-S in the drive's being used for storage (higher grade drives in the "S"), but no other relevant differences.

Jim
Someone from Kscape (forgot who) confirmed on AVSforum a while ago that Strato and Strato S have the same hardware and software. I believe this person was talking about the boards only, rather than the drives as those could differ from one Strato to another even within the same generation.

On a separate note, upon inspecting the Strato/S boards, they actually have connections/hardware for 2 HDDs. At one point, Kscape must have been considering two drive Stratos.

Hello All,

I was planning on purchasing one of these units from Jim but after he explained the current policy on these units I decided to pass. I do like the experience K provides and if they can figure out a better way to ensure a longer expected lifespan of these units I would be back on board.

While I do not believe K should have to have to indefinitely keep the Strato’s in working order, I do believe a longer “end of life” plan should be in place. Based on the higher end market segment K is in, I would have expected a better glide path to the units being obsolete. 3 years (5 with the warranty) does not seem reasonable to me.

I would think for a unit they are currently selling, an expected 8 to 10 year life span would be reasonable. This could look something like 5 years with the extended warranty (maybe add a year to go to 6 years), the next two years a fee of around $1,000 to replace/refurbish the unit, and around $1,500 for years 8-10 to replace/refurbish the unit.

This would give K a way to have end of life plan for current products as well as provide their customers with some certainty of the longevity of the equipment they are purchasing.

An option to upgrade the unit at a higher percentage than 25% discount earlier in the lifespan in would also be a nice add on, and possibly help move people off legacy products to new offerings. I do think 25% discount would be more than reasonable after 10 years.

We have decided to extend the warranty on all Strato/Terra products to five years. Customers who bought extended warranties will have their warranty extended a corresponding period beyond five years. (This will not apply to the older Premiere line.)

If you have a failure out of warranty, we will sell you a like-for-like remanufactured replacement, if available, for 50% off MSRP, with two years warranty. Alternatively, at any time, you can trade in your Kaleidescape component for 25% off MSRP on an upgraded product with full warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back