• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Strato 12 TB Duplicated Movie Question

MikeW

New to Kaleidescape ownership and this group. Thank you for the add.

I purchased a new Strato 12 TB and used a borrowed Alto to catalog my existing Blu-ray discs into the Strato. When I use my desktop to look at "My Downloads" within the Kaleidescape Store, I see about 9 movies where I have both HD and HDR versions of the same movie. Not quite sure how I managed that but is there any good reason to retain the lower quality HD version? If not, how do I erase only the lower quality HD version of those duplicate movies?

Thanks so much for your assistance,

Mike

When you purchase a movie in the Store that has multiple resolutions, you can select which resolution(s) are downloaded to your system. You do this at the time you purchase the movie. When you select "Purchase" it opens to the screen that shows you which versions will be downloaded. It is here that you will also see an option to "change" which versions are downloaded. You just uncheck the box for the version you are trying to delete from the download. (You still own that copy and can download it in the future.)

If you cannot delete a specific version already on your Strato, just delete the movie and re-download it from the Store using what I described above to only download the resolution you want.

Jim

In addition to what Jim stated, if you browse to the Strato on your network and go to the Movies Tab, you will see white arrows next to the titles with multiple versions. You click that arrow and it will expand to show you the multiple versions and types. From there you can select the main title and delete the versions you don't want to keep. I did this to remove the DVD/BR catalog of movies I have already D2D matched and purchased. You can do the same to remove the HD version.

Not quite sure how I managed that but is there any good reason to retain the lower quality HD version?

I only own an Alto, so I unfortunately don't have the option to download both :) but yes, there's a very good reason to keep both. I am a huge fan of bonus features and director commentary tracks. Almost no 4K versions have bonus features or commentary, so you'll need to download the HD version if you want those.

In addition to what Jim stated, if you browse to the Strato on your network and go to the Movies Tab, you will see white arrows next to the titles with multiple versions. You click that arrow and it will expand to show you the multiple versions and types. From there you can select the main title and delete the versions you don't want to keep. I did this to remove the DVD/BR catalog of movies I have already D2D matched and purchased. You can do the same to remove the HD version.

Yup, should have added that as well! Got interrupted (my 7yo needed help with his Lego build😊).

Thanks for catching that!

Jim

New to Kaleidescape ownership and this group. Thank you for the add.

I purchased a new Strato 12 TB and used a borrowed Alto to catalog my existing Blu-ray discs into the Strato. When I use my desktop to look at "My Downloads" within the Kaleidescape Store, I see about 9 movies where I have both HD and HDR versions of the same movie. Not quite sure how I managed that but is there any good reason to retain the lower quality HD version? If not, how do I erase only the lower quality HD version of those duplicate movies?

Thanks so much for your assistance,

Mike
To expand just a bit on what others have already written.

When you buy a movie, the Movie Store chooses a version or versions of that movie to download based upon the player configuration of your system. It tries to download whichever versions are necessary so that every player in your system can play the movie at the best quality that that playback zone supports.

If you have a Strato connected to an HDR display, it will choose a 4K HDR version if available. If you have an Alto, it will choose an HD version. If you have both the Strato and an Alto, then it will choose both.

As Jim noted, you can change the default quality selection at purchase time in the web and OSD store interfaces. The mobile apps don't support quality selection at this time.

One other caution -- if you have linked the Alto to the Strato so that they are in the same system, then some movies may download to the Alto. When a system contains a Strato and an Alto, we will download HD and SD movies to the Alto so that the Strato's storage is saved for 4K. (Alto can't store 4K content because it lacks some of the advanced content security features of the Strato.)

Back