• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Star Trek: TMP- The Director’s Edition request

I ended up purchasing TMP DE on 4k disc last year, if you want it bad enough get the disk it's worth it, for sure. ;)

I'll buy it in a heartbeat if it shows up on K.
I have the disc but would prefer to have it on K. The whole purpose of getting K in the first place was to minimize my physical media.

For what it's worth (to Kaleidescape), I'm just waiting until TMP Director's Edition is available before I buy all the original cast films. I'm in no hurry so I'm willing to wait. :)

I did something like that but completely opposite. I bought them all but waiting for the TMP Director's Edition before I watch them. I was hoping for a quick update. But still waiting....

To bad I got stuck on the first movie.

Okay, first off, I asked and it's still under consideration, but nothing to announce at this time.

I'm not exactly certain what's up with this title, but let me speak in generalities: it costs Kaleidescape actual money and actual time to put a movie onto the movie store. Everything from the original assets to the transcoding process to the "watched by an actual human" (potentially multiple times) QA passes to identify and resolve any issues with the transcode costs money, and the transcode & QA cost time. Money and time are both in finite supply.

So, for any potential new title, it is in competition with other titles for staff availability and time on the transcode hosts. And assuming that those are both available, we need to have a reasonable expectation of eventually selling enough copies to recoup the investment and make some money on it.

Again, to emphasize, I'm not sure whether the above rant is relevant for this title, but it certainly is a factor in when/whether certain movies make it onto the store, particularly when it's a case where there may be multiple editions of the film.
Appreciate this response! If it helps:

The Director's Edition sold VERY WELL on disc (I have this info from legit inside sources). One could reasonably extrapolate that it will sell well on Kaleidescape.

The 4K version of the theatrical release currently on KScape has technical problems that have caused some people not to purchase the title. Those problems were rectified with the Director's Edition. In fact, the Director's Edition was totally rebuilt from the ground up using original film elements and newly discovered sound elements. So it's a radically different version of the film, not just a generic "Director's Cut."

The film's director, Robert Wise, literally asked that this version of the film be the only one that goes into wide circulation and become part of his legacy, NOT the theatrical version. Star Trek - the Motion Picture had a massively rushed release and Wise always considered the theatrical version a rough cut. Sure, it's a sentimental thing, but I'd like to think that the director of West Side Story, The Sound of Music, The Sand Pebbles, The Andromeda Strain and The Day the Earth Stood Still would get some extra respect for his wishes. :)

Fingers still crossed!

Isn't the issue perhaps Paramount Plus making it available to Kaleidescape - as a special Director's Edition, Paramount Plus may consider it proprietary to their streaming service to get new customers? Of course, as its well known Paramount Plus is selling off some stuff including some Star Trek stuff, and looking to be bought out or consolidate with another streaming service, you'd think they'd be glad to sell this to Kaleidescape.

Isn't the issue perhaps Paramount Plus making it available to Kaleidescape - as a special Director's Edition, Paramount Plus may consider it proprietary to their streaming service to get new customers? Of course, as its well known Paramount Plus is selling off some stuff including some Star Trek stuff, and looking to be bought out or consolidate with another streaming service, you'd think they'd be glad to sell this to Kaleidescape.
That was true originally but now it's on iTunes and available on UHD disc, in two different packages (one ultra-deluxe with a bunch of swag).

Did anyone import the Blu-ray version of this and can confirm it has video bookmarks? Thanks.

Back