• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Star Trek: TMP- The Director’s Edition request

I agree, would be great to have the DC in the 4k HDR version.

(For the record though, it wasn't the "first time a television show had been made into a major motion picture," there were others earlier (Dragnet, McHale's Navy, Our Miss Brooks, are a few, BUT, I do agree the Star Trek folks did it better than those earlier attempts, probably because of improvements in technology, and the TV show had a much bigger audience than the early TV shows.) (If we include TV shows that made it to the big screen as a Serial, then Captain Video: Master of the Stratosphere would be probably be the first transition.):)

Jim

One could technically count the 1966 "Batman" movie as well. But I wouldn't call any of the ones listed "major motion pictures," based on my understanding of those productions. Many were marketing stunts dreamed up by their creators and the studios, with budgets commensurate with the TV productions. Star Trek - TMP did start the trend of the studios going back through the list of every successful television show from the 60s, 70s and 80s to see if they could turn them into movies. And of course TMP does stand out in terms of pure scale and budget.
But point taken :)

Can't argue with that, I agree the Star Trek transition was very well done, and unlike the others actually felt like a major motion picture, versus an extended version of a TV show.

Jim

It's bad enough not to have this, even worse to not understand why we don't have it. I know for a fact the the TMP - DE sold quite well on disc, so why is it not on Kaleidescape?

Come on you guys, we're one of your top dealers - can't we pull a few strings? Let's see this film in all its 4K HDR glory on Kaleidescape!
K's lack of any kind of response on legitimate questions like you have raised has been one of my major issues with this company. So very frustrating - and has been an issue for a very long time.

K's lack of any kind of response on legitimate questions like you have raised has been one of my major issues with this company. So very frustrating - and has been an issue for a very long time.
response like this?
https://www.kscapeowners.com/XF/threads/star-trek-tmp-the-director’s-edition-request.4826/#post-53135

This one seems a bit strange. At first, it was streaming only on Max. So figured they had some type of streaming exclusive. But now, you can rent or purchase on Apple, Amazon and Vudu. Obviously you can also purchase the disc.

FWIW, I asked the powers that be at CEDIA about a KScape release of TMP, was told they would look into it. Checking here to see if we can get an update from the powers that monitor :)
I know when Kaleidescape will release the Director's Edition. They will release it exactly a week after I give up waiting and buy the 4K disc :) Then I will save a massive $3 on disc to digital.

I know when Kaleidescape will release the Director's Edition. They will release it exactly a week after I give up waiting and buy the 4K disc :) Then I will save a massive $3 on disc to digital.
I have the 4k disc and it doesn't come with the blu-ray so there's no way to catalog at least for me, my external BD player won't read the 4k disc

I have the 4k disc and it doesn't come with the blu-ray so there's no way to catalog at least for me, my external BD player won't read the 4k disc
Forget the $3 savings then. I have a few 4K discs like that without the 2K disc. It is annoying.

I've been able to catalog 4K discs (using Asus 4K drive.)
Which model do you have? I have the Asus BW-16D1X-U that was on the K "Qualified" player list originally for cataloging but has since been removed from the "Qualified" list since they found issues with it

It's the Asus 16D1HT that has the older firmware. I used to use it to put my 4K discs on the server (before I got a Kaleidescape.)
To check, I just cataloged "Awaken" (doesn't come with a 2K) which is not on K, and it shows in the browser.
...tho I've not yet tried using a 4K disc for D2D.

It's the Asus 16D1HT that has the older firmware. I used to use it to put my 4K discs on the server (before I got a Kaleidescape.)
To check, I just cataloged "Awaken" (doesn't come with a 2K) which is not on K, and it shows in the browser.
...tho I've not yet tried using a 4K disc for D2D.
I have done 4k disc for D2D with Pioneer UHD drive and pretty much all of them are recognized by K as HD so I am able to then do D2D in the store.

FWIW, I asked the powers that be at CEDIA about a KScape release of TMP, was told they would look into it. Checking here to see if we can get an update from the powers that monitor :)
Did you ever hear anything? Don’t understand why they just can’t tell us what is going on with this!

Okay, first off, I asked and it's still under consideration, but nothing to announce at this time.

Still a head scratcher for why not.....

I'm not exactly certain what's up with this title, but let me speak in generalities: it costs Kaleidescape actual money and actual time to put a movie onto the movie store. Everything from the original assets to the transcoding process to the "watched by an actual human" (potentially multiple times) QA passes to identify and resolve any issues with the transcode costs money, and the transcode & QA cost time. Money and time are both in finite supply.

So, for any potential new title, it is in competition with other titles for staff availability and time on the transcode hosts. And assuming that those are both available, we need to have a reasonable expectation of eventually selling enough copies to recoup the investment and make some money on it.

Again, to emphasize, I'm not sure whether the above rant is relevant for this title, but it certainly is a factor in when/whether certain movies make it onto the store, particularly when it's a case where there may be multiple editions of the film.

For what it's worth (to Kaleidescape), I'm just waiting until TMP Director's Edition is available before I buy all the original cast films. I'm in no hurry so I'm willing to wait. :)

I ended up purchasing TMP DE on 4k disc last year, if you want it bad enough get the disk it's worth it, for sure. ;)

I'll buy it in a heartbeat if it shows up on K.

Back