• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

sporadic network connection

talitha

HI all
a couple of days ago my kserver 5000 starting acting up, in that no player can see it. Blue lights all round but pinging the server results in one returned ping every 10.
I now have the server on the bench and a direct patch cable to the unit from my laptop still only returns 25% of pings.
I can get the browser up, but it takes a few go's, and is very sluggish.
I'm thinking the nwtork port is poochjed but any suggestions would be gratefully accepted
best regards
Jerry

I have not seen a lot of NIC ports go bad like you describe (usually they just completely fail), but anything is possible. Another potential cause may be a hard drive that is in real bad shape. If a drive is struggling to read data and has not yet failed, it could definitely be causing the issue. You may want to contact K support and ask what they can see on their end... of course get it back online first ;).

Good luck,
Andy

Yes i tried that, but without a proper NIC thats not an option. I did get the serial log out but that doesnt show any issues. K are saying i need to replace the chassis at $7000 ! I'm pretty sure all i need is a motherboard at most :(
thanks anyway
J

You may be right about the Motherboard, but that's not a part they make available. If the problem is on the board, the only option is to get a replacement server. Support is providing the only option they have available, but obviously you can also shop used online (if you're okay buying without a warranty).

Many 3U's still in use exceeded their life expectancy years ago, so unfortunately these issues will start to present on older equipment.

Not sure if you considered upgrading that Server to a 1U+, but it isn't much more than the $7K quoted, and provides a 3 year warranty, reduced number of drive liability, smaller footprint, less electricity, etc. (obviously depends on how much storage your 3U has, the large capacity 1U+ is 36TB). I swapped my 3U's for 1U+ units, as have many of our clients.

Jim

I hadn't considered that really, as this one is already an upgrade and has 14 x 4TB.. i guess i will hunt about on ebay....

Might be worth trying to swap the memory, should be cheap to source a replacement. That and the processor are about the only off the shelf parts to check.

Back