• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Spiderman and Baby Driver 4K only release?

Mr. Integration

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
I had purchased the 4K version Baby Driver but I do not own a Strato yet. It appears that the HD version is not available yet. It appears Spiderman Homecoming may be the same way. These titles were purchased through a source different than Kaliedescape.

Has anyone else seen this issue with other releases?

I own an Alto and queried Kaleidescape regarding "Baby Driver" HD September 12th via Facebook; what follows is their reply. Have yet to follow up but plan to do so this week.

Kaleidescape: Hi Tony. In this case, we were able to get the 4K versions quite early. We expect the Blu-ray quality HD version to be released in a couple of weeks.

· Reply · September 12 at 7:05pm

I'd hate to think Kaleidescape while pushing UHD/4K/Strato adoption is neglecting HD/Alto owners but I wish they'd work a better deal with the studios to have same day UHD/HD availability.

I had purchased the 4K version Baby Driver but I do not own a Strato yet. It appears that the HD version is not available yet. It appears Spiderman Homecoming may be the same way. These titles were purchased through a source different than Kaliedescape.

Has anyone else seen this issue with other releases?

I try to keep track of these in the US BR Release threads (http://www.kscapeowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2854) and the ones I have documented are the 2 titles you mentioned plus the following:

The Mummy – Universal Studios (UHD version added 23 August; HD version added 4 September 2017)

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword – Warner Bros. (HDR version added 25 July; HD added 26 July 2017)

I hope this helps.

John

..........I'd hate to think Kaleidescape while pushing UHD/4K/Strato adoption is neglecting HD/Alto owners but I wish they'd work a better deal with the studios to have same day UHD/HD availability.

We would all like both formats at the same time, but the studios, not K, determine when those are made available (as previously explained by K). K isn't "neglecting" Alto owners, and when the studios release the HD version, it will be in the store. This isn't a contract issue, the contracts deal with access to the content the studio's release, and the studios retain the right to determine what is released, and date of release, so working a "better deal" isn't likely.

Jim

Yes, and from my perspective of tracking when titles arrive in the store it looks like the UHD/HDR versions have been pulled in earlier not that the HD versions have been pushed out (very small sample size, though). So it looks like progress is being made.

John

We would all like both formats at the same time, but the studios, not K, determine when those are made available (as previously explained by K). K isn't "neglecting" Alto owners, and when the studios release the HD version, it will be in the store. This isn't a contract issue, the contracts deal with access to the content the studio's release, and the studios retain the right to determine what is released, and date of release, so working a "better deal" isn't likely.

Jim

Appreciate the explanation. Thanks Jim.

There is also a cost of time and effort to make these titles available as well. Uploading is not free and costs time.

Good point, and I also doubt most owners realize that there is a cost for K every time a movie is downloaded.

Jim

Good point, and I also doubt most owners realize that there is a cost for K every time a movie is downloaded.

Jim

Fair point also, my downloads run at 30-40Mbps without issue for the 2-4 hours a movie takes. If I downloaded 24/7 for a month, it would likely cost K $200-300 in internet transit costs alone, not counting any of the Infrastructure overhead needed to store and deliver the content.

Jim

On existing, already owned content, or just when we buy each new title and download for the first time?

Interesting that HD version of Spiderman appeared as soon as the disc was released. If this was studio driven, they should have informed us.

Back