• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Solid State Drives At Some Point ?

nomad07

I have little to no experience with K servers but I wondering if there will be a switch to or offer optional upgrade to solid state drives at some point?

Certainly solid state is still much more expensive compared to mechanical drives but considering the income of the people who often buy K systems at least some would be willing to pay it.

Some may argue but even enterprise grade drives all fail eventually and will eventually need to be swapped out. Even with minimal usage they still seem to fail. Based on my personal experience and experience of many I know in the IT fields with their company and personal servers it becomes a real, but known, annoyance. For laptops and desktops it’s kind of a no brainer to use solid state. For the server side they just tolerate mechanical drives as they’re just cheaper to keep replacing then swap everything with solid date. For personal use for people with money to burn I would think they would want to minimize down time due to failed drive requiring a service call to replace and restore the lost movies.

Just a curiosity. Thoughts?

I'd guess this is likely going to happen at some point. Flash is in a race to zero now that the majority of manufacturing woes are out of the way - least for now. However, given the size of the discs K use, I doubt any switch will be anytime soon, least not without serious (major?) $$ costs.

MTBF on the enterprise drives is still good but as an example I have an 8 bay Synology NAS with 3TB Seagate enterprise drives. In the 6 years I've had it I've had 3 drives report "replace immediately" degradation.

The other two major limits would be wear-life, for the folks constantly deleting and downloading different content from the store, and how long you could keep a system out-of-service before the drives demagnetized.

That said, sticking a modestly-sized SSD in the chassis to handle the index, interface, and other system overhead could be quite beneficial.

The other two major limits would be wear-life, for the folks constantly deleting and downloading different content from the store, and how long you could keep a system out-of-service before the drives demagnetized.

That said, sticking a modestly-sized SSD in the chassis to handle the index, interface, and other system overhead could be quite beneficial.

Understand the wear with SSD on writes which is my I was referring more to the Terra servers over the Strato's. I would think the Strato get far more deletes then Terra's, especially when I see people buying multiples to house their entire collection.

SSD

4TB SSD drives are available for ~$500 (Samsung 860 series); I would love to replace the drives in my Premier server with them if only I had a way to initialize them...

Back