• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

So, what does one have to do to get 4.0?

MikeG

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
It's been a week, and I have yet to receive the updated software. My system states:

Your System upgraded to software version 3.8.0-7939 on March 9.

I have owned a Player 6000 and 1U server for a few months and do not know the protocol. I had assumed that this was handled in the backgorund with little assistance from me. Personally cannot wait for 1080p coverart, and hope it works on my, now, legacy player.

Turn on rant:
My upgrade to the new M500 player would require either of two things: 1) the discount on the trade-in of my current player is significant, or 2) they release the bluray jukebox, which is apparently a year away (at least). Lets face it, the player as it stands right now is useless to me. The K experience for me has always been the novel way of interacting with my media from wherever I am in my home, without misplaced disks, without fingerprints and damage from the kids. Until I do not have to get up and load the disk into the tray it just doesn't make sense. I venture a guess that almost all on this site already own reference quality players, and whatever size the jukebox will be is a non-issue for most as well. K missed the boat on this releasing them separately.
Turn rant off...

For the past six months I have been very happy with the units and cannot wait for the full Bluray solution to show itself. I will be upgrading, just depends when. Thanks to all who have contributed info on the subject.

Hi Mike,

You don't need to do anything to get 4.0... as you suspected, it's just random who gets it when as they roll it out to customers. There's almost no functional difference, so while I know it's frustrating knowing it's out there, you're not missing anything by not having it. If it's really bothering you, you could email Kaleidescape support to ask, but I'd say just give it another week or so.

On your 'rant'... i hear you, and understand. Check with your dealer on the upgrade pricing. While I know what you're saying, the nicer UI really IS a step up from the K6000. Now that my test unit is going back to K, I may well upgrade just for the nicer UI. I'll likely never load a Blu-ray disc until the Vault (not a 'jukebox' as you described it) is out (and even then I will be awfully selective in what I choose to import as Blu-ray rather than DVD), but I DO like that new UI. much sleeker, easier to read, and better graphics throughout.

--josh

So no graphic upgrade for the legacy players. That's too bad.

So the upgrade pricing is already available? And this would be different or dealer specific?

One more question if I may. How often does K issue new players? My question pertains to the fact that besides the new graphics, the M500 offers me little more until the "vault" is released, and would hate to upgrade again in one year.

Thanks for your reply.

So no graphic upgrade for the legacy players. That's too bad.
Correct, the processor can't handle the transparency effects and the rendering of all UI at 1080p.
So the upgrade pricing is already available? And this would be different or dealer specific?
I'm not a dealer, but only dealers can tell you the pricing and they do have ability to set pricing to some degree I believe.
One more question if I may. How often does K issue new players? My question pertains to the fact that besides the new graphics, the M500 offers me little more until the "vault" is released, and would hate to upgrade again in one year.
You can find the history of player releases over on the hardware forum in the "Kaleidescape System Specs" document.

Again, hard to give advice, it's more about personal preferences and budget. Some here would say the existing players are fine, and if 3D or lossless audio to PCM is important to you, then may be worth waiting until there's something like an M-Class with those technologies, which will probably come at some point in the next couple of years... I'd guess 18 months for a refreshed M-Class if I had to bet? Maybe upgrade your main viewing room now, leave the others as is until there's a new player, then swap the M500 into another room when you get an M600 or whatever the next is called? that's probably my personal plan, for what it's worth.

--josh

Great info Josh. As usual. Im waiting because of the requirement IMHO to use the vault and also for them to address the audio limitation- something I hope they will address and I kind of assume they will. The new UI is fantastic but viewed in isolation it is not enough to get me to move on.

Hi Mike. Just tagging on to Josh's comment regarding upgrades. K is giving dealers an incentive discount % that varies by player model. All K Player models are eligible, but it is up to the individual dealer what percentage is passed on to the client. The largest discount expires on August 31, 2010, at which time that discount is halved. I'm told that this is a "hard date" and is not likely to be extended (as has happened with some of the Server upgrades).

Upgrading for some is a difficult decision. I've got client's that share JerryL's opinion and will not upgrade until/unless the player decodes the HD codecs, and others will not upgrade until the disc loader (the semi-official term) is available. That said, we also have many client's that experienced the new OSD/GUI and upgraded immediately. I guess it goes back to the old "utils" discussion we all had in economics 101.:)

Jim

Thanks for the info Jim. The "hard date" for upgrading may get me off the pot sooner. I had been following the server threads and was planning on the same long server upgrade for the players.

The 1080 GUI is a big deal for me; always thought that this was a glaring omission by K. Very happy it is finally being addressed.

BTW, when will they release a Mac version of K conductor?

Frankly, the 1080p OSD/GUI was what "sold" me. The funny thing is that I would have upgraded to these Players even without BR!:)

(Being a dealer, I know to some my comments are assumed to be biased and that's fair, but business aside, I really do like the Players.)

No news on the "Mac" function, but they do know we are waiting....:(

Jim

My system was updated to version 3.8.1-8253 on May 25th? I don't recall anyone referring to this version before. What's in this version; wonder why I didn't get 4.0?

Have sex with the professor.

Wait- what did the OP ask?

?? What? Did I miss something?

He is referring to a 4.0 GPA.:)

Jim

As to 4.0 so far here is my feeling, said in conjunction with the audio and said with humor,

Rats- no video embedding here?

OH well, here is the video. I hope you get a giggle- whenever I feel like Im not getting things to go my way I think of this

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tIhwITwhSg"]YouTube- Charlie Brown: I got a rock[/nomedia]

Last edited by a moderator:
MODERATOR'S NOTE: An interesting (but unrelated) discussion took part here about the merits of 3D video at home. I moved it to it's own thread here for further discussion and to keep this thread on the topic of 4.0 upgrades.

My system was updated to version 3.8.1-8253 on May 25th? I don't recall anyone referring to this version before. What's in this version; wonder why I didn't get 4.0?

Me too. My system just updated to 3.8.1 on June 3, I wonder why I didn't get 4.0? K just sucked up a lot of my monthly download limit with an obsolete update :mad:

The updates relevant for non-BR systems are contained in that latest version. 4.0 contains the same updates AND the required upgrades to support the new functions of the M-Class Players. I'm not saying a 4.0 will not eventually find it's way to non M-Class sytems (but it may not), but in the interim you are not missing anything. Anyone adding a new M-Class Player will get 4.0, so if you've ordered one, your system will update by the time you receive the Player.

Jim

Brief update: So, my dealer emails me that my new M500 player arrived yesterday. Today I happened to be looking at my system, and to my surprise this:

Your system upgraded to software version 4.0.1-8388 on July 1.

So it looks like Jim was right ;) My system did update when my new player shipped.

A few observations on the new player:

1) the new UI is much improved, really like the cover art next to the list view. Faster too

2) disc load times are averaging 20% faster

3) no Mac native conductor

4) I noticed when watching 4:3 video streched to fit my 16:9 plasma (lots of kid stuff), when i stop the movie the Kscape UI is stretched too. Takes a few secs to return to normal. Is this a new glitch? Setting I don't know about? I don't think it's a setting on my tv (elite 141).

Overall I do like it, and worth the upgrade considering the trade in program currently being offered.

Back