• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

So managed copy at the end of March, any insiders hear rumors on K implementing it for CEDIA?

iansilv

I am just getting depressed over this whole thing... OK not really depressed, but you get the idea. :)

so now supposedly March 31st is the date that managed copy serialization must be implemented on all new Blu Ray disks. Anyone think CEDIA will be et place where K will unveil their new Blu Ray copying capability? Anyone here have any info or rumors on other major companies showing it off?

Anyone? (crickets...) :(

K is still planning for a release of the BR Player later this year, so I guess CEDIA is a possibility.

Jim

But nothing about that player copying disks, right? It's just about the Blu Ray player playing content?

But nothing about that player copying disks, right? It's just about the Blu Ray player playing content?

Correct, as far as I know at this point. However, K continues to work toward a solution that will eventually allow for importing BR (is what I'm told).

That said, it might be a moot point for most of the existing BR collections owner's are waiting to import, mine included. If MC does indeed function based on the specially encoded BR disks being discussed, then that would be a problem for those of us that have large collections that do not include the required code to allow for the MC.:(

We'll see.

Jim

Yes, we will likely have to repurchase our entire blu-ray collections again. That plus the lack of being able to import Blu-Ray in a media server I would want to own yet are the two primary reasons I haven't jumped into the BluRay format completely.

With over 700 BR disks, I'm hoping some of the studio's will offer a disk trade-in program.:D

Jim

They could avoid this whole mess by just charging a flat fee to load something to a server and not require you to keep the disc. Say, set up an account that manages all the licenses across multiple studios so you don't need 20 different accounts, then pay a certain fee per title you load that gives you the license to run it off your media server but isn't tied to owning the disc.

That way, they wouldn't need to worry about people netflixing a large library yet would still be able to take care of the legacy collection of titles out there already. The only real bummer would be people who bought the original disc that then had to pay the extra fee but they would at least have the disc to resell later or keep for use at times they are not near their server (in the car, on trips, etc).

That would also avoid the need for a trade-in program.

Not bad ideas. I'd even be willing to send the disk back in exchange for a download (assuming the K system could handle that), AND pay a reasonable fee. Too early to know for sure how this will turn out, but I'm not holding my breath for a disk swap program.

If I have to buy again, my collection will shrink considerably.

Jim

Not bad ideas. I'd even be willing to send the disk back in exchange for a download (assuming the K system could handle that), AND pay a reasonable fee. Too early to know for sure how this will turn out, but I'm not holding my breath for a disk swap program.

If I have to buy again, my collection will shrink considerably.

Jim

And US PSPGo owners who have PSP UMDs are still waiting for any kind of disk swap or download credit, but there seems to be nothing on the horizon. Certainly, these 2 issues are not exactly equivalent, but I wouldn't be surprised to see nothing at all offered by the studios. Even worse will be the difficulties I anticipate in identifying MC disks. If you go to buy a title that was released prior to the MC disk mandate, you might not be able to find a pressing of it with MC. Even if they did new disk pressing runs and those new disks did have MC for those older titles, who wants to bet that you'll have no way of specifying that with an online retailer (as in, they won't differentiate stock between the same title that is with and without MC). This whole thing has been a cluster you know what from the start and I have every reason to believe that the studios have ZERO interest in making MC work well for consumers. I used to have some hope for MC, I pretty much have none now.

Jeff

Unfortunately, I think you will be proven correct Jeff.

Regarding the MC identification, perhaps they will label the cover in some way to distinguish one from the other, and they could also distinguish the disks by pricing (an added cost for MC). I guess we'll see (assuming this even gets implemented).

Jim

There will likely be a new sku involved with the MC-re-releases, so it should be moderately easy at the more reputable retailers. With the rest, add it to the list of things you are taking a chance on for the lower price.

I'm still not convinced on whether it makes sense to take advantage of MC at this point anyway, given the cost of storage, or whether a changer is the better option until disk sizes at-least double again.

There will likely be a new sku involved with the MC-re-releases, so it should be moderately easy at the more reputable retailers. With the rest, add it to the list of things you are taking a chance on for the lower price.

I'm still not convinced on whether it makes sense to take advantage of MC at this point anyway, given the cost of storage, or whether a changer is the better option until disk sizes at-least double again.

I thought about that - having a different SKU. The question is will a new SKU alone trigger a separate listing by an online vendor? IOW, in the absence of a change to other features, would they actually consider the newer title to be different? My gut tells me that they won't, especially because doing so might inherently devalue the older stock. Now, if there are new prices associated with these new pressings for existing titles, then that might trigger a separate listing in which the retailers point out the existence of MC. Given the fact that editions which include iTunes or PSN copies are usually priced higher, they may push the cost up from previous discs. However, since MC is supposed to apply to all discs (regardless of version), they may just leave the premium to be assessed when you actually go to use MC. Again though, I see lots of issues.

Regarding the MC identification, perhaps they will label the cover in some way to distinguish one from the other, and they could also distinguish the disks by pricing (an added cost for MC). I guess we'll see (assuming this even gets implemented).

Jim

To this point, I haven't seen any labeling of recently released titles that indicate MC in any way at all. That being said, I think the mandatory date for discs to include MC may have been pushed to March 31st according to this article:

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=26972

So, if that date holds, we'll see if new titles released after that have any indication of MC on the box.

Jeff

Ok, so how long before we see MC on SD material? Will our K5/6000 players become redundant?

Panamar

Ok, so how long before we see MC on SD material?

Panamar

Never. This would require a modification of the DVD spec to include MC technical provisions (serial numbers encoded on each disc, etc). As such, you'd have to get the studios to agree and given how long they have dragged their feet on MC for BR, I have no reason to believe that they would ever go back to tinker with DVDs. And oh btw, all the millions upon millions of current DVD discs out there (like pre-MC BR discs) would not be MC capable.

Even if they did though, you'd probably be better off with a non MC solution like the one we already have. Why? There's additional cost to rip disks now, which MC will almost certainly have. Also, you have the ability to rip entire disk, including all menus and special features. We still don't know how MC will impact this ability across disks from all studios. In a worst case scenario, if MC was applied to DVDs, K would almost certainly add that functionality.

Jeff

Back