• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Slow Motion!

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
:confused::confused: Can anyone explain why my $30,000+ DVD system can't do slow-motion? :confused::confused:

The $39 DVD player I saw at Costco can do it quite nicely.

I can't think of any consumer video device, at any pricepoint or form factor, that doesn't have this ability.

There must be some technical reason but I can't for the life of me figure out what that is... if not, it's an embarrassing oversight by Kaleidescape.

--josh

... oh and frame advance/rewind while they're at it.

I don't know why, but I don't really use slo-mo when I am watching a movie. I do understand what your are saying, however.

the biggest reason for the slo mo request was to dial in favourite scenes exactly right.

Secondly of course was to watch people blow up! (coooooool!)

Ah. What I would rather have for both of those features is something I have missed since my Laserdisc days - JOG Shuttle! I would LOVE for that to be an option on a hard button remote.

Dizzman said:
the biggest reason for the slo mo request was to dial in favourite scenes exactly right.
YES, exactly! I make a ton of favorite scenes, and it's very tough to get the markers exactly right... If I miss the scene transition I want, I have to do the "8-second rewind" button, then try to time it exactly right.

Will Kaleidescape ever support slo-mo and frame-fwd, frame-rev ? Is it a hardware problem in the player? I continue to think this should be really a glaring embarrassment for kaleidescape that you can't do this on this super-high priced player.

Will Kaleidescape ever support slo-mo and frame-fwd, frame-rev ? Is it a hardware problem in the player? I continue to think this should be really a glaring embarrassment for kaleidescape that you can't do this on this super-high priced player.

I see that this post is three years old! but has there been any new info on this??? I was wondering the same thing, was about to post this question and saw that Josh asked it three years ago.

The system still doesn't do it (or at least if it does, I haven't figured out how to do it). Does anybody at least know WHY it can't do this especially when a "quick" rewind is about 8 seconds (which can seem like a lifetime when you are trying to do fav scenes)

I couldn't agree more (obviously, since I've been on this soapbox for 3 years). Kaleidescape should be embarrassed that they have no slow-motion or frame-advance/back on this high-end player.

I can contemplate what the technical explanation is: the storage medium and the playback decode happen in separate devices, across a home network... and the ability to request multiple, single frames (rather than a continuous stream) across the network is difficult in that environment. Single-frame MPEG2 frame seek is tough, due to the way the codec is implemented, even in a single box with no network latency. Yep, I get it... (I think)... But it doesn't matter, it still should be possible, even if it isn't as smooth as a high-end single-box player, and not having it is frustrating.

--josh

From what I understand, it is not a feature available in the hardware their player uses. While I don't speak for the company, I cannot imagine them making the same mistake when they come out with a Blu-Ray player but until then it just isn't worth investing in a new hardware rollout on DVD just for that one feature and nobody would really upgrade their players just for that feature - or at least in numbers that would make it a smart decision for them to do it now.

I agree with this. So much fun to look at effects etc. in slow motion to see how they were done or to look at mistakes in films

I figure if they were going to implement slow motion, I would love them to go all the way and put in a jog shuttle. I remember using that on my old Laser Disc player many times. It would be highly advantageous when setting favorite scenes to make sure they start and finish in exactly the right spot.

Amusing (and frustrating) that this thread Carlos just resurrected is almost a DECADE old. (May, 2006). Yet still no slo-mo on Kaleidescape. Ridiculous. :confused:

Back