• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Slow Download Speeds

Took 14 hours for the 2 parts to download despite 300 Mbs fibre to the house. Slowest download for ages but at least it completed unlike some recent ones in the UK that kept failing.
K have fixed that problem but perhaps there is still work to do with their hosting partners.

With a 250Mbps connection(not fiber) I never managed to get more than 47Mbps.

Re Star Wars, see below:

Mar. 13, 10:44 pm Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Supplement):Completed in 6 hours 15 minutes (30.5 Mbps)
Mar. 13, 8:58 am Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Supplement):Unexpected problem with import
Mar. 13, 7:06 am Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Feature):Completed in 2 hours 50 minutes (32.4 Mbps)

Wouldn't it be nice if we always got exactly what we payed for with ISP's and those providing content.....unfortunately, there are so many variables in the process of sending and receiving content there is very little consistency. I've had similar sized HDR content download in as fast as 1 hour 16 minutes, and as slow as 3 hours 44 minutes.

It could be K's servers, the ISP, or anything in between. Could also be our own equipment. We can complain, but who do we complain to without having the ability to verify where the slowdown resides? We all get up sold on speeds that test well, but fall short when it actually matters. Very frustrating.

Jim

But there is something strange going on with the SW supplements as mine just sits at 99% and never finishes. If it doesn't finish up by tomorrow, I may delete it and download again. SJ

Yes, this has been happening on occasion with other titles as well. It happened to me on the HDR version of Ghostbusters. K is aware of it, but I was not given any details about the cause. They did say it was being investigated. I had to delete the attempt and restart the download twice before it finally downloaded.

Jim

Well, it wouldn’t let me download the supplements as when it downloaded it stated that it was already downloaded (which it wasn’t). So, I had to delete the movie from my system and redownload everything. But now, the supplements downloaded and the main movie has been stuck at 0% for hours. Can’t seem to win on this title. Something is wrong. SJ

And now It tells me that the feature is already downloaded. What a mess. I now have the supplemental material to watch but not the movie anymore. I will try again and if it fails, will submit a support email to K to help. SJ

My downloads have slowed aswell. I was consistently getting around 70Mbs for all downloads until recently. The last few have been at 30-35Mbs and nothing has changed with my ISP. Other downloads from other services are working at the same speed as before.

I've downloaded a dozen titles the past few days, and still averaging 78 Mbs, with nothing lower than 71 Mbs.

Jim

For my brand new Stratos I have downloaded over 50 4K HDR movies in the last week - speed has never gone down below 80 mbps and at times I have seen it at 104.5 mbps.
I do have gigabit internet....
Most movies downloaded between 1 hour and 1 hour 40 minutes (except Lawrence of Arabia and Superman Batman extended edition kind of long movies).
I was thinking if in the future K can let you download at the full potential of my Gig Network and conservatively it is 500 mpbs - movies will download in 15 to 20 minutes... great for impulse buys before watching a movie.

You are all so lucky as despite having 300 Mbs fibre to the house I never get more than 35 Mbs for store downloads and more usually it is around 28 Mbs. Perhaps the staging server hosting providers outside the US need some pressure applying so as to get a better download service.

You are all so lucky as despite having 300 Mbs fibre to the house I never get more than 35 Mbs for store downloads and more usually it is around 28 Mbs. Perhaps the staging server hosting providers outside the US need some pressure applying so as to get a better download service.

Just rubbing it in... download speeds for Xfinity Gigabit are close to 900mbps on wired connections and 500 mbps (with my Orbi Network) on wifi....

Just rubbing it in... download speeds for Xfinity Gigabit are close to 900mbps on wired connections and 500 mbps (with my Orbi Network) on wifi....

Are these download speeds you are seeing from Kscape - or just in general?

Either way that's blistering - oh and definitely 'rubbing it in' :D

Are these download speeds you are seeing from Kscape - or just in general?

Either way that's blistering - oh and definitely 'rubbing it in' :D

In general - K Escape is topping out at 104.5

Funny that 6 or 7 years ago when I started using the K system it would take the same amount of time to download a Blu Ray as it does a 4K HDR movie today.

Now if K can open up to 300mbps most 4K HDR movies will download in 30 minutes and that would be awesome.

6jQtbJF.png

Those download times are about what I'm getting as well, and I think most are close, and probably netting somewhere around 75 to 90 Mbs.

Jim

I have 300up/300down and am downloading at close to 200. It is not only the down load speed but where your servers are located within the network of your house. I changed to a Pakedge RK-1 with 1gb throughput and made a huge difference. Most router's throughput is limited and netted based on how many devices are running through the network at the time you are downloading the movie. Blueray for me is 25-30 minutes on average. Check your throughput values on your routers. That's where the bottleneck usually occurs.

In general - K Escape is topping out at 104.5

Funny that 6 or 7 years ago when I started using the K system it would take the same amount of time to download a Blu Ray as it does a 4K HDR movie today.

Now if K can open up to 300mbps most 4K HDR movies will download in 30 minutes and that would be awesome.

Afraid I'm stuck with 37mbps, until cable comes along. The issue of speed on this thread was actually an issue with one of their CDN providers, which thankfully has now been resolved.

Would definitely be great to see those speeds. I can but dream.

I got a Strato about a month ago. I have downloaded about 50 4K HDR titles. I average 75mbps. My downloads generally take about 2 hours for a 4K HDR title.

I have 150mbps internet service with a Luxul Dual-Wan Commercial Gigabit Router.

I can download from Apple, Google, etc and fully saturate my connection. K servers only use about half my available bandwidth.

I could upgrade to gigabit fiber internet, but see no benefit until K servers can supply the content fast enough.

With movie store purchases coming to the on-screen GUI, they would greatly benefit from 20-30 min 4K HDR downloads.

My impulse buys currently go to AppleTV. Especially when the family is use to searching thru ITunes or Netflix or Hulu and immediately starting a show.

K is great for pre-orders and for building a collection of movies I want in the best of the best quality, with instant access at my fingertips.

Loading a disc just sucks in comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back