• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Slow Data Service?

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Anyone else noticed a slowdown in the MovieGuide data service in the past few months? Meaning - when you load a new disc, you get no cover art, sometimes for a few hours, other times for as long as 24 hours or so?

Seemed like when I first got the system the data would be there in just minutes after a disc was finished scanning.

I'm also seeing a lot more movies where there's just a "Play Disc", but no "Play Movie" commands, and some movies with no synopsis.

is it just me?

--josh

I have not seen that, but I will look into it. I actually have a couple of new disks I can load to check that out. I'll also ask K for a comment when I see them at CES.
Jim

Anyone else noticed a slowdown in the MovieGuide data service in the past few months? Meaning - when you load a new disc, you get no cover art, sometimes for a few hours, other times for as long as 24 hours or so?

Seemed like when I first got the system the data would be there in just minutes after a disc was finished scanning.

I'm also seeing a lot more movies where there's just a "Play Disc", but no "Play Movie" commands, and some movies with no synopsis.

is it just me?

--josh

Josh,

I notice that most DVD Region 3 movies won't provide "Play Movie" command after we imported the discs to the Kaleidescape server.
On the other hand the Region 1 version usually have "Play Movie" command.
I think it is something to do with the index system.

Fyi DVD software available here is from region 1 ( USA ), 2 ( Japan ) & 3 ( HK,IND ).

Kartono

if you do not get a play movie link, it means that the movie is not completely in the K database. in order for a movie to have a complete entry in the database, it must physically come to K so that they can find the exact details of where it starts, ends, etc. If the movie has been entered in the system and K has never seen it, they can get a UPC code and add cover art, movie details etc.

If you go to your web interface, and you go to movie guide data and select incomplete movie guide info, you will see a list of movies that k has never had in their posession ans as such, nobody has the play movie link. K will gladly pay the shipping to get those movies in and process them and send them back to you. they will even send you nice boxes to ship your movies in.

if you do not get a play movie link, it means that the movie is not completely in the K database. in order for a movie to have a complete entry in the database, it must physically come to K so that they can find the exact details of where it starts, ends, etc. If the movie has been entered in the system and K has never seen it, they can get a UPC code and add cover art, movie details etc.

If you go to your web interface, and you go to movie guide data and select incomplete movie guide info, you will see a list of movies that k has never had in their posession ans as such, nobody has the play movie link. K will gladly pay the shipping to get those movies in and process them and send them back to you. they will even send you nice boxes to ship your movies in.

Fyi most dvd region 3 are not listed in K data base.Their data base is mostly for Region 1 USA area. Therefore when I play dvd region 3 by clicking the "Play Disc" I still have to watch the FBI warning since the "Play Movie" option is not provided on the region 3 dvd.
It is a problem for us from region 3 country.
Actually it is part of their service to provide the data base/ index for region 3 movie as well.
If I send the region 3 dvd phisically from our country to K who will pay the custom charges when they ship back the dvd to us ?
The local custom charges is around 35% from the value of the goods you declare.
Will they pay for it ?
Anybody know,aware or experience this ?

Kartono

K (most of the time through your distributor) will take care of it.

THey have many other region DVD's in the database. it is just not always as easy to get them. but they do buy other regions all the time to proactively add to the DB. just contact them they will take care of it.

I know this as fact.

Back