• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Simultaneous Importing (2) x M-700 Disc Vaults with (1) 3U Server?

davidaron

Is it possible to have two disc vaults importing to one 3U server simultaneously? Would the import time be slowed down as a result?

apologies if this has been question has been posed before..

You can have up to 5 simultaneous imports to a server so 2 vaults is no problem. There would be a slight increase in the import time for each disc but overall, it will still be faster than importing each disc one at a time sequentially.

........apologies if this has been question has been posed before..

No need to ever apologize in this forum, ask whatever you want anytime. There are a lot of questions like this that have been answered before, and a search should pull those up for review, but unlike some forums you should never get the "Do a search..." answer from our members. We however post a link to a topic post if the answer is lengthy. Have fun.:)

Jim

Last edited:
Thanks.. Afraid that my results thus far have been pretty disappointing with the import time for Blu Ray increasing exponentially.

Currently it looks like I am on par for the import process to take about 2.5hrs per disc when importing simultaneously, where only 1 vault importing was on average 1 hr total.

Both are connected via Gigabit network switch, any suggestions?

Are they comparable discs? I was loving the ~1:15 load times at first... and then I started doing the newer double-layer-and-using-every-channel releases that shot the time up to around the 2:30 you are seeing now.

BD50s... that other 2:30 feeling.

as a matter of fact the last two were new releases (The Help and Moneyball) so very well could have been the case. KSCAPE explained earlier that there is not "problematic authoring" list of BluRay's like there is for DVD as the pressing of Blu's differs from disc to disc and greatly impacts the import time, very interesting.

after several days of testing under different scenarios it still seems as though importing blu ray's via one disc vault is more "time efficient" than 2 simultaneously. the average import time was well north of 2 hrs across the board (seemingly regardless of file size) for simultaneous imports, where most are imported in 1 hr or less via just one disc vault.

i understand that there are a number of different variables that can impact import times (disc pressing, network configuration, etc), just want to make sure i am not overlooking anything that could potentially be creating a slow down... considering the large amounts of data being transfered in blu ray discs, i suspect i am just coming up against limitations of my network/the hdd's.

my configuration is as follows:

3U server (12TB currently, 8x 2TB)
(2)x m700 disc vaults

D-link gigabit switches connecting all devices

I am not familiar with the switch you are using but is it a managed switch? I had issues with D-Link unmanaged switches in the past and once I switched to Dell's managed switches those issues have disappeared.

the switch is NOT managed, that is the last element I was going to try swapping out to see if that could be the culprit.

update here... Moved over to a managed switch and was having the same result with import times basically doubling.

KSCAPE support did a thorough analysis of my system logs/speed tests over a week's period of time and the engineering team in Canada came back with the verdict that everything was performing as it should and that this behavior is normal when importing 2 Blu Ray's simultaneously.

So bottom line: there is effectivelyno time efficiency achieved by having 2 M700 disc vaults importing Blu Ray's simultaneously into 1 server.

344 Blu Ray's down in roughly 2.5 weeks, hopefully only about another 10 days to go to get the rest of them imported!

Mr Poindexter: which are the parameters that you should tweak on a managed
switch to speed up the data transfer between K devices? It is the Qos, or allocate more of the bandwith to the MAC addresses of the devices, or is there something else?
I have a Cisco SG 200 smart gigabit switch that can be tweaked if needed
Thanks

It has been a while but I remember I had to turn off some feature called broadstorming or stormcasting. I cannot recall off the top of my head. Beyond that, I would ask K's technical team if you are having issues. I wish I could give more detailed answers but I don't have my notes handy.

I believe its Storm Contro, should be under the Security section of the online interface for your SG-200. QoS (short for Quality of Service) allows you to dictate bandwidth priority to each of the ports.

Hope this helps

Yeah, I'm guessing there is something more than just a K design issue. After running a little test, times doubled initially, but then fell back after a day or so.

Still, even if two vaults take twice the time, it still beats loading on one, waiting until it finishes, and then loading the other.

Dual Imports with M700

What I am seeing is very close to twice the import speeds when compared to using only one loader. Importing BluRays to a 3RU server using only one M700 vault on average takes about 40 minutes to 60 minutes. Importing BluRays using two vaults takes on the average of 50 minutes to 65 minutes.

My network switches are all Cisco 3750E GigE swithces with a 10Gb backbone. I don't know if this is what is making the difference or not. My vaults and server are all located on separate switches that are bridged using Inter VLAN routing.

Back