• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Show Available Upgrades

jmdls

Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but now with UHD/HDR coming out, and also with some titles initially coming out in one version, then staggered with another version, then with a better audio soundtrack added later, it would be awesome if there was a tab on your store account -- or on screen GUI -- that would inform you that a better version of a title you own is available.

For example, I downloaded The Professional, then a while later it came out in UHD which I downloaded. Then a while later it was available in HDR, but without the Atmos audio, which I downloaded. Would be awesome if I could see some kind of flag or something when they added Atmos audio to the HDR version without me having to keep manually checking. And this is just one title out of hundreds I own...

Not sure this would be manageable for K, but it would be awesome if it was! :)
John

Hi John!

Yes, we've been thinking about something like this for awhile now. Can't promise when/if it will come, but for sure we're interested in doing it. We do want to design it properly, though, so that you can tell when there's an update that interests you.

For example, perhaps we update a movie version because there was an issue with one of the subtitle languages. If you don't speak that language, you probably wouldn't want to spend time downloading that update.

Thanks, Mike!

Honestly, I think I would take the "any info is good info" approach to this even if that means telling me that I can now get The Fifth Element in Mandarin 5.1.

Sure, maybe many of the updates won't interest me, so I can ignore them and not re-download the updated version. I see something like when I log into my store account, there could be a tab that is something like "Updates Available" and then I could see all my titles that have an update, whatever that might be. I could then check to acknowledge that I see there is a new version/update, and then turn off that notification so I don't see it again (until there is some new update to that film), or I could click to download the new version of the film if it was a change that I wanted...

I've no doubt this is a major undertaking, but it was on my mind with The Professional so I thought I'd put it out there! :)

#Love
John

Mike,

It might be easier to simply offer an automated solution. If at 2 am my K system downloads an updated movie which offers a tweak to a subtitle language I have no use for I am indifferent if this occurs or not. That doesn't bother me any.

Perhaps a simple box in the control menu or in the Store could be offered and if checked anytime an updated version of a movie is available it downloads. That way if someone prefers to only download certain upgrades they could continue the current manual method but for what I would guess is the majority of K owners it would just happen.

This might mitigate a lot of the angst when a movie is initially available but their is a delay in obtaining the best audio or HDR.

This would appear to be in line with K's "it just works" methodology and would be very supportive of the Store and those who use it.

If a movie did have an update, and it was already on my system, it would be cool to be able to update it without having to manually delete the existing version. Just having it over-write the version on there now would be awesome. That goes for upgrades from SD to HD or HD to UHD/HDR, also. Maybe I don't want to delete for some reason, like there are SD players and HD players in the house, so maybe a check box for the option to auto-delete would be a good idea.

and as a step beyond this, for titles that have D2D options, or for which I've bought store versions, the option to Eject them easily from the web interface (like a list of 'here are DVD's and BD's you technically no longer need taking up space in your disc servers)

Back