• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Setup preowned system/components?

kragan

Hello,

For some time I've wanted a Kscape system, but have been budget constrained. Being an avid DIY person, over the past year I decided to work toward eventually getting a system up and running. Toward that end I have been buying used components on ebay and the marketplace. So far I have the following:
1U server (3- 750 GB drives)
2 K120 DVD/server (3-500GB and 4-500GB drives)
2 M300
2 M500
4 Modular Vaults (100 disc)

Except for storage/drive space I believe I am close to having a system that could handle my current needs of ~450 DVDs and ~250 BluRays

I'm currently using older Sony disc changers for my movie collection, so although I've powered on the Kscape components to verify they're functional, I've not actually connected/setup the system including registration.

Given the recent sad news for the company, I'm looking for advice around a few questions on how to move forward. In no particular order, here are some of the questions I'm wondering about and pondering-

• Is it too late for me to register these/create a Kscape account under my name?
  • Should I connect it up ASAP and begin to upload as many of my movies to it as possible?
  • Are drives still available for purchase and is it worth investing in those now so that I can fit my collection?
  • Should I let the components sit for now and wait to see how events unfold for the future of the company/support?
  • Abandon the effort completely?

If anyone has any thoughts I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Ken

If it were me, I'd sit on everything until a resolution shakes out. You *might* be able to get an account created and get started ripping things, but the reality is you probably want more drives and you would need to spend money to get some that were currently sitting available (most dealers don't stock them...they just ordered and drop shipped from K, which isn't possible right now, so used or unused new ones someone had sitting are you only option). And I wouldn't personally spend MORE money on a K system until I was comfortable someone was going to keep the doors open because if they don't the thing becomes a brick pretty quickly.

Sorry, but I think that's the best thing.

I suppose it's *possible* that whatever you do get ripped and added before they turn off the network connection to the guide database could live until your hardware crapped out, but adding new movies takes away much of the usefulness after that. You'll still get a "play disk" option, but no "play movie" option. So you still have to watch trailers and piracy warnings and whatnot. You'd also have to enter your own database info and upload cover art.

At that point, Plex makes just as much, if not more, sense, IMHO.

--Donnie

Thank you for the perspective. Last night I decided to connect it all up in a temporary arrangement to see if I could get an account created and registered in my name. After working through a few network issues with previously set static IP addresses, I got all the components linked up as a system and clicked the registration button. The link I got in the confirmation email shortly afterword didn't work, but when I tried it again this morning it went through. Now I have the system registered. I figured it would be better to be registered than not, since I'm unsure under what conditions future support could be offered. Here's to hoping for the best.

Thanks,
Ken

Good call. It seems we have a bit of good news in that K has a skeleton crew still operating to handle hardware issues and keep the software running while they sort out the financial issues and ownership further. So what you've done was certainly not a bad idea.

As to whether you go spending any *more* money right now, that's a different call entirely. But as far as ripping movies to it, well, worst case you've wasted some time if it all goes very south. I think if it were me, I'd start uploading and get some enjoyment out of it and keep your fingers crossed someone works out the back end for us. There are good signs so far, anyway.

--Donnie

Back