• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Setup help with Co-star switch

Chaos Theory

I’ve have the following components in my system:
Strato
M500
3U
M700
DV700

Sorry if this has been asked before but I’m a bit late to the party with the Co-Star device. How do you connect all this together with the Co-Star? The guide on Kaleidescape’s website doesn’t seem to mention the disc vaults or the 3U. Any help or diagrams would be appreciated.

All here

https://support.kaleidescape.com/article/Kaleidescape-Co-Star-Installation-Guide

Strato plugs into HDMI 1, Legacy Premier component (M500 / MV700 / DV700) plugs into HDMI 2 costar output is connected via HDMI cable to receiver / display.

Pairing of Strato and legacy player is done via the on screen / browser menus.

The 3U just 'sits' on the network and the legacy players accesses for playback and isn't connected via the costar.

Hope that helps a little.

Yes - one strato to one premier component via a costar.

I’ve have the following components in my system:
Strato
M500
3U
M700
DV700

Sorry if this has been asked before but I’m a bit late to the party with the Co-Star device. How do you connect all this together with the Co-Star? The guide on Kaleidescape’s website doesn’t seem to mention the disc vaults or the 3U. Any help or diagrams would be appreciated.

I am assuming that all the equipment except the Strato are all part of an existing Premiere system. If so, you just need to pair the Strato with either the M500 or the M700 player. You do this by connecting the HDMI outputs from the Strato and M-class player and plug into the Co-Star switch. The output of the Co-Star switch then goes to display or what ever you are using for video switching. The last step is to use the browser to “pair” the Strato with the M-class player so it knows which component to control.

Exact details are listed here (Co-Star Quick Star & Co-Star Installation Guide):

https://www.kaleidescape.com/co-star/

There are some good FAQ documents as well.

I hope this helps.

John

ETA: Looks like I am too slow this morning - I need more coffee!

More coffee in the morning is always good...... but due to the time difference it is already mid afternoon this side of the ocean so some catching up needed ;)

I’m not too concerned about the M500 as it gets little (if any) use these days. All the discs go through the vaults.

So if I connect the Strato and the M700 to the Co-Star, what happens to the DV700? For blu ray films that have been recorded to the 3U, I thought the system had to confirm the presence of the disc in order to play the recording? How can it do that for discs in the DV700 that are on the 3U?

The DV700 will continue to be part of your system, there is no change. Disk presence will continue to be confirmed the same way as it's done today.

If you have CDs on your 3U, there is one caveat with paired systems/players. You can’t access them via a Strato and co-star switch. If the case I would suggest that you keep the M500 and use it for music playback.

The M500 will not be able to play music from the server if the server is part of a CoStar union. I recently checked in this for myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Music is still playable in a paired system it is just not playable via the premier component that is paired with the Strato and is using the costar as Telem points out. All non paired premier components that have the ability to play music will continue to be able to do so.

The M500 will not be able to play music from the server if the server is part of a CoStar union. I recently checked in this for myself.

Please check again. The server is not part of anything, the players are. Connect the standalone M500 at a different HDMI or digital input of the amp or processor or TV and use it as a different source, it will access only the 3U server content and it can play the imported CDs.

I will try this! I hope I just misunderstood the response I was given. Thanks!

It works for me as I had to do exactly the same when I added a Strato into my Cinema room.

I have an M300 paired with a Strato and a M700 that I use for music and to play scripts from content on my 3U. It works.

John

Sorry to be late seeing this thread. Hopefully the good advice already posted by others has already helped you get everything set up. Let me just expand a bit in case others come across this thread in the future.

In the Premiere system that you have described, you have two components that are capable of movie playback. Those are the M500 and the M700. (For those who are perhaps not familiar, an M700 is a disc vault with an integrated M-class player). In some installations, people have an M700, but they are not actually using the player capability. They're just using it to manage their optical discs. In other installations, they may be using the M700's integral player for one of their viewing zones.

So, how you proceed will depend on how your system is set up. The easiest thing to do is to look at the back of your M500 and your M700. Which ones have HDMI cables connected? Is it just the M500? Or does the M700 have one as well?

If you are only using one of the two M-class components as a player, that's the one you'll pair with the Strato using the Co-Star switch. If you are using both M-class players, you need to decide which of those two will be paired with the Strato. Your other player will remain un-paired, and you can continue to use it to play movies and music stored on the Premiere system.

As much as it generally pains me to watch myself on video, you may find this demo we put together prior to the Co-Star release helpful. A few small details have changed, but generally it's still accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPi66M_OfEA

One final tidbit.

In my own installation at home, I was actually using an M700 only for disc management. Video for my theater was provided by an M500. When I brought home a Strato and paired the M500 and the Strato using Co-Star, I lost the ability to play music stored on the Premeire system in my theater.

Since I had the M700 with its unused player zone, I went ahead and hooked up the M700 as an additional source in the theater, and now I can use it for music playback when I want to do so.

Back again! I’m attempting to pair, all the components are listed (3U, M500, M700, DV700) but it keeps saying the two systems are not registered to the same contact.

How do I check/correct this before proceeding?

Incidentally, the M700 is going to the Co-Star, the M500 straight to my AV processor. It doesn’t really get used much these days.

Oh, and there’s no music on the system either. I have a separate QNAP server for that.

Regarding the M700 vs M500, that's fine. Just be aware that when you select the M500 source on your AV processor, you will only see movies stored on the Premiere server. You won't see anything stored on the Strato. When you select the Co-Star source, you will see all movies from both systems.

Back