• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Setting up scripts with upcoming moving trailers

lawder

I'd like to set up a script that plays not only my home theater intro, but also some upcoming movie trailers and a THX/DTS intro or two. What is the best way to get new movie trailers and THX intros onto Kscape? Do I need to burn this content on a BD and then import into Kscape, or is there an easier way?

Thanks,

-Michael
---

Today, discovered that “Angry Birds” has a few extras, one in particular called “Silence your Bird phone”. You could Script that Scene in front of whatever movie you are about to play.
I have not found THX/DTS/DD Extra scene to script.

Grab a Dolby Atmos & DTS:X demo disc import them as they both have great clips to put at the front of a movie :)

It is possible to have an intro play before all movies? I thought that scripts only play the items that are specified within each script (on a Premiere system anyway). For my setup, if I decide what movie to play in advance for a party, I edit a single script that I have setup to be triggered by my automation system. In that script I specify a trailer or two, an intro and then the feature presentation that I want to show. Then I can just press a button on my phone to dim the lights and start the script.

Yes. I have a “Movie Night” script that I just keep modifying with the latest movie along with any trailers or scenes that I think would be go intro material depending on whom I am having over.

John

That is what I thought. On one hand it would be cool to have an intro play before every movie selected through the UI, but also it might be annoying after a while. Having to make a selection and edit the 'Movie Night' script in advance of movie night is not that hard.

Back on the subject of trailers, I have an issue with creating custom scenes for trailers. Some titles (ie Terminator 2) have the THX trailer on the disc which would be nice to make into a custom scene for use in the 'Movie Night' script. But the only way to see it is through playing the movie in disc mode. K does not have predefined scene for the THX trailer or for trailers that play when a disc is first inserted into a player. While T2 is playing in disc mode it is not possible to create a custom scene because the menu option is not available.

But... When one selects a title whose disc is not cataloged by K, (the 2015 BD of Christmas Vacation does this for me), Disc mode is the only option available to play the movie. In my case of the aforementioned title, the option to create a custom scene is available. I used this option to create a scene for the entire length of the movie. I named this scene 'Play Movie' and when I chose that scene, the movie plays!

So... It seems like it should be possible to create a scene for any content that is reachable in disc mode (such a THX trailer, pre-menu trailers, even the F-B-I warning screen if one was so inclined) for use in a script, but the option is hidden for some reason.

Any ideas on ways around this problem?

It is VERY rare to find a BR movie that has not been bookmarked by K that you can mark scenes. There is almost always encryption that makes it so you cannot Mark scenes. If you found one, you are very lucky.

I have found that most of the BR concert discs that are not bookmarked allow marking “New Scenes”. Movies not so much -I don’t I have had any BR movies that I could mark without being marked first by K.

John

That is good to know. It seems my ideas of bookmarking trailers, warning screens and other junk via disc mode are DOA. I am guessing my Christmas Vac. disc is somehow a bootleg.

But what about actual DTS & Dolby BR demo discs? I would imagine those are encrypted as well. Are they likely to be bookmarked by K? Or would they have to be mailed in?

Oh and I was mistaken above, T2 has a DTS trailer not THX.

Last edited:
The other category of discs that seem to allow marking of scenes are calibration discs like Spears & Munsil and Disney WOW: World of Wonder. The Spears & Munsil disc has a nice DTS-HD MA 7.1 demo that I have marked and use every now and then.

I haven’t tried any Dolby Atmos our DTS:X demo discs to see if they are already marked by K our allow scenes to be marked.

John

Just a quick note to close the loop on creating trailers... I made my own "home movie" disc with some DTS and Dolby trailers found on thedigitaltheater .com. I used multiAVCHD v3.0 b729 (the last 3.0 version) and it works great. I had first tried using the latest 4.0 version but k would not play the disc. I found a thread that said there was a problem with some players (Panasonic) not liking the menus created by the 4.0 version. So I am assuming that was the problem. I was able to make a custom scene for each trailer and can now use them in scripts. :D

Back