• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Separating Terra & Strato, but keeping them on the same system

ht guy

⭐️ Premium ⭐️
Currently I see a single view of all titles on both machines.

As the Alto contains concerts and the Terra, movies, (with the exception of the handful that are UHD/HDR,) I'm considering separating them as I'd like to be able to view only movies from the "my movies" or "all my movies" view.

Is that something that can be (relatively) easily done?

If you have two servers on the system, how do you switch between them?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Yes if you have an HDMI cable from the Strato to the surround sound processor and a second HDMI cable from the Alto to the surround sound processor, then by switching inputs on the surround sound processor you will see only one or the other At a time.

Note that in the set up, if you want to keep both your Alto and Strato powered up all the time, then you want to keep the Alto and Strato separated, i.e. not paired together.

Currently I see a single view of all titles on both machines.

As the Alto contains concerts and the Terra, movies, (with the exception of the handful that are UHD/HDR,) I'm considering separating them as I'd like to be able to view only movies from the "my movies" or "all my movies" view.

Is that something that can be (relatively) easily done?

If you have two servers on the system, how do you switch between them?

Thanks.
You would need to ungroup the Alto from the Terra/Strato system and activate it as a separate system (on the same store account). By doing this, The Alto would only show content that is stored on the Alto hard disk (your concerts) and your Strato would only show content that's on the Terra's hard disk (your movies).

On the store, you would now have two different systems (you're allowed up to 5 on the same account) and when you purchase a title from the store, you can choose which systems the movie is downloaded to.

Last edited:
Thanks @AlanG and @JohnJ . Much appreciated.
John, when I go to the "my movies" tab in the online store, will both systems be combined, or is it possible to switch between systems for that view?
Likewise, what will "Downloads" show?
Guessing I'll switch systems under "Manage" and "My Systems?"
Also, when I ungroup the Alto and then set up as a separate system, am I correct in thinking the content will remain?

The "My Movies" page on the store will, by default, show all of your movies however, there are tabs that allow you to see just the content that is on each system:
1666199663474.png
The Downloads page will similarly show you the downloads on a per system basis.

When you ungroup the Alto and reregister as a separate system, the content will not be deleted.

There is one hiccough though: when you ungroup the Alto, any store download content that is on the Alto will be automatically queued for restoration to the Terra. Unfortunately, there's no way to stop this from happening and you'll need to go to your download queue (on the web store) and remove the queued restorations from your download queue. It will say that it's going to delete the content from your system but it's not actually on your Terra system so you should be fine. Just to be safe, clean up the restoration queue before you activate the Alto as the second system.

Last edited:
Thanks John.
That all looks and sounds like exactly what I am going to do.
One other question. When I put a blu-ray in the Alto, will it know 4k is possible / will those offers appear?
Will cataloging work in a similar manner?
I'm co-star (Lumagen) connected if that makes a difference.

Hold the phone. If your Alto and Strato are Co-Star connected, you can't have them in separate systems. That is only supported with Alto and Strato players that are in the same system.

Thanks John.
That all looks and sounds like exactly what I am going to do.
One other question. When I put a blu-ray in the Alto, will it know 4k is possible / will those offers appear?
Will cataloging work in a similar manner?
If there is a UHD/HDR digital offer available, it will be displayed on the Alto's OSD even though the Alto can't download/play UHD. For example, here's a sample screen shot of the Digital Offers flyout on one of my Altos:
1666211573347.png

As for discs that you catalog on the Alto, they will only appear on the Alto's OSD. They will not appear on the Strato. So in other words, once you activate the Alto as a stand-alone system, you can't use it to catalog movies that would appear in your Strato's library. But you can still catalog the title and get upgrade offers on the store that you could then purchase and download to your Strato.

BTW, if you have the Alto activated as a separate system, you can't have it Co-Star-paired to the Strato. That will cause problems. When you want to Co-Star pair an Alto to a Strato, that is what's knows as "Player Pairing" and to do that, the Alto and the Strato must be part of the same system. The Alto and the Strato have a shared libarary and the Alto is really only there to provide the ability to play Blu-ray discs and to catalog discs into the library.

Co-Star pairing players that are part of separate systems is known as "System Pairing" and that is only supported between Encore and Premiere systems (e.g. You pair your Strato to an M-class player that is part of your Premiere system).

So in your original use case that you described above, you need to do the following:
  1. Un-pair the Alto from the Strato (i.e. turn off Co-Star player pairing).
  2. Remove the Alto from the system (Terra's Browser Interface on the Settings > Components page).
  3. On the web store, delete all of the restoration download items that were created when you ungrouped the Alto from your system.
  4. Connect the Alto to your display device as a completely different source (so when you want to watch movies, you switch to your Strato; when you want to watch concerts, you switch to your Alto).
  5. From the Alto, initiate activation using the same email address that you used to activate your Terra/Strato system on the store.
  6. Complete the activation by clicking the link that you'll receive in your email.
I know that this can be confusing so I hope I've managed to answer your questions and concerns here. If not, feel free to post any follow-up questions you may have.

Last edited:
Totally clear and done.
Thanks so much.
Can't believe I didn't do this sooner.
Much better setup.

So in your original use case that you described above, you need to do the following:
  1. Un-pair the Alto from the Strato (i.e. turn off Co-Star player pairing).
  2. Remove the Alto from the system (Terra's Browser Interface on the Settings > Components page).
  3. On the web store, delete all of the restoration download items that were created when you ungrouped the Alto from your system.
  4. Connect the Alto to your display device as a completely different source (so when you want to watch movies, you switch to your Strato; when you want to watch concerts, you switch to your Alto).
  5. From the Alto, initiate activation using the same email address that you used to activate your Terra/Strato system on the store.
  6. Complete the activation by clicking the link that you'll receive in your email.
I know that this can be confusing so I hope I've managed to answer your questions and concerns here. If not, feel free to post any follow-up questions you may have.
In order to make step 3 easier (and given how quickly they may propagate - ISP speed dependent,) should downloads be paused before performing step 2?

So everything works great.

For anyone else considering separating your Alto and Terra systems, from what I understand, it may not be possible to see Alto content from a Strato C. It works great if part of the same system/grouped with the Terra, otherwise, as AlanG pointed out, it will work great as a separate system for a single location in your house...which is my plan.

Last edited:
Correct, once you separate the components into different systems, you can only see the content on whichever system you are viewing at the time.

Jim

Get that. I was hoping the Strato C would be able to play movies from the Alto, like it does from the Terra (i.e.: even if you dedicate a Strato C to an Alto, they cannot communicate.)

Ah! Got it, sorry, misunderstood.

For any new owners reading this, a Strato-C can only connect to and receive content from a Terra Server or a Strato with storage (Strato-S or original Strato). The only way it can also receive content stored on an Alto is if the Alto has been added to an existing Terra system, or Strato with storage system.

Jim

Back