• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Selective Replication?

Drhemi

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
It has been a while since I performed a replication. I am wondering at this point, is it possible to replicate specific titles or groups of items. For example, can I move some blu-ray quality downloads from one server to another? I am trying to free up space on the one server and trying to avoid re-downloading which would eat into by internet provider's monthly bandwidth limit.

Also, once one server in a multi-server system is close to full, is there any way to prevent new imported content going to that server? Maybe it is not important, but I am trying to maintain some space on the one server to better allow for software updates/database updates, etc. It seems to keep filling up.

Thanks.

Wayne

1) Selective replication - it's been a while for me too since I did this but I think you can move titles to the trash that you don't want copied. You can then move them back after replication

2) Selective loading - No you can't. The system selects where to put the content. I had one server that would lock up during down loads. I checked with K and they did not have a way to restrict downloads to my other server. I had to either turn it off or disconnect from the network. K did an excellent job resolving my problem, however.

John

Wayne, unless things have changed since the last replication we did, the only way to control what gets replicated is to temporarily place the content you do not want to replicate into the "Trash" (but obviously don't empty it). After replication is completed, you can move it back to the movie section.

There is no direct control of the importing that I'm aware of, we usually just temporarily take a Server "offline" (disconnect from LAN, or power down) during imports to prevent content from writing to that Server.

Jim

Sorry, I see John and I answered about the same time.

Jim

2) Selective loading - No you can't. The system selects where to put the content. I had one server that would lock up during down loads. I checked with K and they did not have a way to restrict downloads to my other server. I had to either turn it off or disconnect from the network. K did an excellent job resolving my problem, however.

John

Hi, what was your download issue and how did they fix it?

I've got a server that locks up on about the 4th dvd download if I download a load. They download at 50mbps. How ever it now also randomly locks up when nothing is playing or downloading. Some times it locks when watching films too. So in short it randomly locks up for no reason :)

Support suspect the motherboard, there are no crash logs. Got an RMA today though for a trade-up.

Thanks

Edit: answered my own question :) I see it was conductor. You had replied in another thread of mine. Thanks.

Thanks, everyone. This is what I expected as far as the server import/download issue. I guess I can put things in the trash before replicating, but it may be too much trouble for the benefit. My system is up and running again as a unit after K.'s help (one concern was not enough space on one of the servers) so I think I will leave it be for now. Does anyone know if there is a minimum recommended GB to have empty on a server?

Thanks,

Wayne

Does anyone know if there is a minimum recommended GB to have empty on a server?

The operating system reserves the required amount of disk space it requires for various operations (guide updates, operating system updates, etc) from the very first time it boots up so you can take each server down to 0 GB if you wish. On the other hand, if you want to play it safe, leave at least 2-3 GB of free space on each server.

The operating system reserves the required amount of disk space it requires for various operations (guide updates, operating system updates, etc) from the very first time it boots up so you can take each server down to 0 GB if you wish. On the other hand, if you want to play it safe, leave at least 2-3 GB of free space on each server.

Thanks!

I have 20 GB at this time.

Wayne

Hi, what was your download issue and how did they fix it?

I've got a server that locks up on about the 4th dvd download if I download a load. They download at 50mbps. How ever it now also randomly locks up when nothing is playing or downloading. Some times it locks when watching films too. So in short it randomly locks up for no reason :)

Support suspect the motherboard, there are no crash logs. Got an RMA today though for a trade-up.

Thanks

Edit: answered my own question :) I see it was conductor. You had replied in another thread of mine. Thanks.

Yes, it was a problem with a 1st generation C1 in conjunction with Conductor.

John

Another option for directing imports/downloads is un-grouping the server temporarily. All the fun of un-/plugging things without having to actually do it.

Fun tip: the system will try to optimize imports/downloads by putting each to a different server, in order to maintain 1:1, even if they would not ordinarily go there due to remaining space optimization (apparently an easy way to go "negative" on space too.) Can't blame it too much, mutistream imports take sooooo much longer (generally twice as long.)

That's what I would have figured, but was recently told that dropping below 20-30 could cause slower response-times. Not that it is bearing out.

As a follow-on question. I recently purchased another 3U with 14-4TB drives. I already have a 3U with 8-3TB and a spare 3TB HD, plus a 1U with 4-1TB drives. The 1U is at the vacation home. I'd like to replicate all the content on the 1U to my existing 3U (I have plenty of space), then replicate my existing 3U to the newer 3U and replace the 1U at the vacation home. Now I have a few titles on my 1U that are not on my existing 3U and I have more music on my 1U than I do on my existing 3U.

What are the proper steps to replicate? I read that the titles I don't want to replicate to place in the trash first; so I got that part; does this also apply to music?. Once that is done I want the rest to be replicated over to the existing 3U. What are the next steps. I've got 2500 movies on my 3U and just don't want to make any mistakes.

Thanks in advance.

In addition to moving unwanted content to the Trash (YES, including Music), be sure the server you plan to replicate to (or from) is on the LAN with your other servers.

On the user interface (my-kaleidescape) homepage, select "Settings", then "Components", then identify the Server you plan to replicate FROM and select "Replicate from this....Server" just below the Mac address. You should see the other Server(s) you can replicate to in the on screen menus. Then just follow the very easy instructions to start replication. Here is a link to the most current Replication Guide:

http://www.kaleidescape.com/files/d...e-Replication-Reference-Guide-for-kOS-6.0.pdf

Have fun.

Jim

Okay great! (K Support is still the best in the industry, IMO.)

Jim

Another QQ, I am going to buy more HD's for my existing 3U after the replication. Is it always best to install the new disk with the system off? I've read where people have 'failed' a drive deliberately to replace it; I'm not replacing any I'm merely adding. I didn't know if they failed it by turning the system off, ejecting the drive and then turning the system back on or if they ejected the disk while the system was on.

If you are adding drives to an existing filesystem, you can simply insert the new cartridge into an empty slot. No need to power down the server.

Personally, I only add one new drive cartridge at a time and wait to see that it had been added to the filesystem successfully before trying to add another one.

I'm not a fan of intentionally failing drives, but for those that have done it they usually just eject a drive while the system is running. (In fairness, I'm only aware of one situation of losing content during the process of intentionally failing drives to replace them with larger drives, most that have used this method have reported no problems during the process.)

Jim

If you're failing drives as the replacement method, it may as well be on, since it needs to be anyway for the actual failure. Then again, with RAID-K's apparent night of the living dead functions, you may as well start by failing the hot spare, as that should reduce build time to zero.

For new drives, I prefer doing it while off, because the cartridges usually take a few tries for the catch to actually engage and stay pat... for which I would just as soon not accidentally have a drive flagged as failed because it springs back out.

Back