• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Selecting which version to watch change

Rengozu

While this likely doesn't apply to many, I feel there are too many steps involved when there are multiple versions of a movie downloaded on my system. If I select a movie with more than one option, either standard or directors cut or even for resolutions like HDR or UHD, the next step should automatically be asking me what my preferred viewing of the movie should be.

I hate scrolling down the list to find the alternative options.

While this likely doesn't apply to many, I feel there are too many steps involved when there are multiple versions of a movie downloaded on my system. If I select a movie with more than one option, either standard or directors cut or even for resolutions like HDR or UHD, the next step should automatically be asking me what my preferred viewing of the movie should be.

Just a dialog that pops up when you press PLAY that asks which version would be a great option.

Currently, I have both HD, HDR and sometimes UHD versions on my system. I can press “play“ and the HDR version stars playing. I, personally, don’t want a menu to pop up where I have to pick the version I want. I just want the HDR version to start playing.

John

Last edited:

Help me understand which list you're scrolling down here?

Currently, I have both HD, HDR and sometimes UHD versions on my system. I can press “play“ and the HDR version stars playing. I, personally, don’t want a menu to pop up where I have to pick the version I want. I just want the HDR version to start playing.

John

Then an option to turn it on or off could work. In my head the way it should work is if you select the movie from the main movie screen with a LONG button press, it should automatically play the best version available. If you select it with the QUICK press that brings up the other menu with movie synopsis and options, then when you scroll down to select play movie it should provide the options of which version to play.

Help me understand which list you're scrolling down here?

When you tap the select button on the movie it brings up the movie synopsis and other options. You have to scroll down through:

Return, Play Movie, Play Scene, Play Trailer, Extras, Movie Store, Add to Collection, (select) More Options. > Return, (select) Play Version > (select version) Just feel it's a lot of extra clicks for something that could be there when you select Play Movie originally.

On few occasions, some movies Mike Mad Max Fury Road I forget all about having an alternate version available (like the Black and Chrome edition) because it's buried in the menus.

If you’re changing button presses, I (and probably many others) will have to modify control systems. If there is a way to do it so it doesn’t affect me, I don’t have a problem with it (although, selfishly, I would prefer K would work on something that benefits me).

John

If you’re changing button presses, I (and probably many others) will have to modify control systems. If there is a way to do it so it doesn’t affect me, I don’t have a problem with it (although, selfishly, I would prefer K would work on something that benefits me).

John

I’m speaking of the button presses as they’re used on the mobile app. (Ex: hold = play, tap = OK)
It would have no affect on anyone’s control systems as your programmed play button would stay the same.

Just asking for a cleaner way to select the version played from the actual movie synopsis menu.

OK, now I understand what menu you're asking about. Can you please describe the cases in which you need to venture into the Play Other Version menu? Please exclude Black & Chrome for now, because that's a weirdo.

OK, now I understand what menu you're asking about. Can you please describe the cases in which you need to venture into the Play Other Version menu? Please exclude Black & Chrome for now, because that's a weirdo.
My main use for it is switching between HDR and UHD versions. I have multiple Kaleidescape zones in my house and while I always use HDR on the TV’s, in the dedicated theatre room I have to drop it down to UHD sometimes because some movies are too dark with HDR on my projector. (Like Black Panther 2 most recently)

Okay, thanks very much for that added detail. We have automatic logic to only display the best playable version in each zone, but you're effectively saying that your definition of "best" is different from ours since you're preferring to send SDR to your HDR-capable display.

That's definitely a use case I've encountered before myself, and I agree it's a lot of navigation to get to the other versions. I don't think it's likely that we would add the sort of accelerator you're looking for, unfortunately.

If we had a preference that said "in this zone, prefer SDR even though the display supports HDR", would that address the issue, or do you really need to decide on a movie-by-movie basis?

Okay, thanks very much for that added detail. We have automatic logic to only display the best playable version in each zone, but you're effectively saying that your definition of "best" is different from ours since you're preferring to send SDR to your HDR-capable display.

That's definitely a use case I've encountered before myself, and I agree it's a lot of navigation to get to the other versions. I don't think it's likely that we would add the sort of accelerator you're looking for, unfortunately.

If we had a preference that said "in this zone, prefer SDR even though the display supports HDR", would that address the issue, or do you really need to decide on a movie-by-movie basis?

It’s a movie-by-movie basis. I almost always download the HDR version first as the zone does technically support it, but depending on the movie sometimes I have to go back and grab the UHD version as well because it gives my setup better results.

Most movies I’d just delete the HDR to save space and not have to deal with the hassle of switching, but there are other more watched movies like the Marvel stuff that I’d prefer to keep both options when needed.

It’s a movie-by-movie basis. I almost always download the HDR version first as the zone does technically support it, but depending on the movie sometimes I have to go back and grab the UHD version as well because it gives my setup better results.

Most movies I’d just delete the HDR to save space and not have to deal with the hassle of switching, but there are other more watched movies like the Marvel stuff that I’d prefer to keep both options when needed.
I have the same experience, but I only have one system, so if the HDR is too much for my projector, I delete it and download the UHD version (which is a fantastic option to have, BTW). Thor Love & Thunder, Daniel Craig 007 films, and I believe Goonies as well, are all examples of titles I've opted to watch UHD over HDR.

Again, simpler for me with a single player.

Got it. Okay, thanks for explaining. I will take this feedback to the team.

I’m speaking of the button presses as they’re used on the mobile app. (Ex: hold = play, tap = OK)
It would have no affect on anyone’s control systems as your programmed play button would stay the same.
You mention tapping on the mobile app... Mike, is this something where a possibly-lower-impact change could be that if you just hit play then while it is loading the mobile app could display the alternate versions/resolutions available. If someone wants to switch, they tap the button, and if not, it simply goes away a few seconds later after the content loads (could possibly do a similar "secret handshake" thing for other input modes, like press 1/2/3/4 within three seconds of hitting play, but that seems a lot more likely to run afoul of navigation, macros, or other programming.)

With any request like this, we have to balance the benefit to the customer(s) requesting the feature versus the added complexity for users who don't need or want the feature. Plus, of course, we have to consider the prioritization of any features and try to get the most "bang" for our development resources.

I doubt that we'd implement something where options popped after you start playing (either on the OSD or in the app), because most folks wouldn't need those options or understand why they were there. And adding some sort of preference to show them would add unnecessary complexity for most users.

With that said, there may be a solution that will be an improvement over the situation as it is today. We will definitely discuss internally.

I do agree with the unspoken thought that fixing very specific issues or preferences can all too easily damage the experience of the masses. The thought that it could just be configured is an easy one to reach for but increasing the complexity (I have been there numerous times) always bears a cost whether it be processor/maintenance/future changes/testing/performance etc (typically all of the above and they all add up to $). This isn't a comment on the OP/issue BTW.

Totally understand prioritizing feature development for the masses, but I would add that I think the ability to customize the interface is an underutilized option on many devices. The ability to turn software features on/off is such a great capability that can allow each user to streamline their process or really get into the weeds.

Back