• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Second Screen iPad app

One thing that would be nice to remove is that it turns on a unit to view the data, but doesn’t turn it off….
I was thinking about this use case, and I'm not sure how to go about resolving it.

The app wakes the player from standby because you may do something like play a movie or a scene or song, so we want the player to be ready for that.

But when would be the right time to turn the player off? We have no way of knowing, really, if you have stopped using the app because you're finished interacting with the Kaleidescape system, or if it's because you've switched to some other form of control. So doing it automatically would be sort of an exercise in guesswork.

We could potentially add a power/standby button to the Remote tab, but that would make for a manual step. Players do go into low-power idle by themselves after awhile, but it's true that this does take some time.

Seems like just having a power off button would be the simplest. That’s what I do (from my control system) if I use that app and I’m done. Not that big a deal, but thanks for thinking about it.

I would like to see a child mode for the second screen app.

Basically, just a cover view of the child collection that jumps straight to playing the movie when you tap on the cover art (instead of bringing up the additional info screen).

The IR-based child remote isn’t very useful when you equipment is in a rack out of the line of sight.

Hello all,

Just wanted to let you know that we’ve released version 1.10 of the Second Screen app.

This is primarily a bug-fix release, but there are some new features, including:
  1. The app runs at full resolution on large-screen iPads now.
  2. The browse/back behavior works like a regular iOS app now, rather than always going back to the top when you tap the back button.
  3. The brightness control now directly adjusts the iPad’s screen backlight. (It used to leave the backlight at its current setting, and dim the UI graphically)
  4. The app will no longer take players out of standby when first connecting. The player will come out of standby if/when you ask it to play something. (Note that Standby is not the same as the automatic Idle mode that some players enter).
  5. There is now a power button on the Remote tab, so you can put your player into standby after using it.
Please note that there are some issues when the app is connected to a Strato player that is part of a Co-Star pair, especially when content is playing on the paired player. What’s most noticeable is that the app may not correctly display the title of the playing movie, and tapping the “Movie Info” button doesn’t work. The movie counts shown in the list of collections may also be incorrect in some cases (but the collection is shown correctly when you actually view it). We plan to address these issues in a future kOS software update.

I felt that I should probably elaborate on my parenthetical note about Standby not being the same as Idle. Standby is the state your player goes into when you use the power button (on the remote or the unit itself) to turn it “off”. Some control systems are also set up to put the player into standby when you turn off the associated zone or switch to a different source.

Idle mode is what you get when you don’t interact with your system for awhile. The player(s) will blank their video outputs, dim their front panels, and hard drives may be spun down. When you connect to an idle system with the Second Screen app, it is by definition no longer idle — you’re interacting with your system. So in this case, the player will “wake up” and restore their video output, front panel glow, and the hard drive will of course spin up so that the app’s queries can be satisfied.

I just wanted to clarify this since it might look like the app is “turning on” the players, but in the case of idle players, they were never in standby.

I’d also like to thank the folks who commented on the standby/wake behavior and other aspects of their Second Screen usage. It was helpful to us in working on this update!

And you fixed the problem I reported previously about when you mark two or more scenes you couldn’t get Back to the first scene to rename it! Thank you!

The app is a lot quicker when switching between my standalone Premiere system and my Strato. Also, I have had problems where picking my Premiere system would time put and go back to my Strato. I would have to pick it 2-3 times before I connected. This problem seems to be fixed.

John

Howdy folks!

Happy to hear that you use and enjoy Second Screen. I'd be interested to know what features you most value, and what requests you might have for additions. Can't promise anything, but that sort of feedback is super valuable to us when we're planning upcoming development work.

Hi Mike.

For me, I use the app mostly to quickly find out if I have a specific title in my library or not, as typing is faster than scrolling, and then suibsequently start it. For most other uses, I use the OSD.

What would be really neat, is if you made it able to stream content from the servers to iPad.
I know this is possible if you want to put in the engineering effort.
Right now I'm using a Slingbox to achieve this, which works, but who knows how long the servers are gonna be around.

M suggestion would be, to create a "player," that instead of an HDMI out, has a transcoder built-in, and connects to a central service, that then allows us to stream without port forwarding and whatnot, similarly to a Slingbox. None of this is impossible to achieve, and would really be a value add to your product.
The kicker here though is that I'd want to be able to access both my Encore and Premiere system. If you're adamant about not letting an Strato class product access the Premiere system, you could add an HDMI input on the transcoder/player to take the output of M-Class player.
Or you could design the transcoder as a standalone product, and have people hook up a Strato and an M-Class Player, potentially via the Co-Star or 2 separate inputs on the transcoder device.
The latter is obviously a messier solution, but gives the separation to keep the studios happy, which I presume are the actual real reason Strato players can't access Premiere server content in the first place.

Best regards,
Mike Petersen.

I seem to have movies which are downloaded, but don’t show up on the app. Is there some limit to this? Looks like all HDR movies are missing… Thanks. SJ

Second Screen performs the same parental control and quality filtering as the player that you've selected to control. So for example, if you have selected an older HD-only player, you won't see any 4K movies. Or if you have selected a player that is set to PG and below, you won't see any R-rated movies.

Adding to the above, since you said specifically that it's all the HDR movies that are missing -- if the player is not receiving valid EDID information from the display, possibly because the display is turned off, or on a different input, or there's an intermediate device in the chain that is turned off, then the player will be hiding HDR content because it doesn't see an HDR-capable display connected.

Oh… I was hoping to use to browse movies prior to turning on my system. Like, give the app to our guests and have them pick something, etc. Maybe I can still do this by turning on our family room zone (vs theater). Thanks for clarifying. SJ

It seems to vary from device to device. Some displays continue to send a valid EDID on all inputs, even when they're in standby. Others will only send valid info for the currently selected input. I'd suggest giving it a try with your family room zone with the TV off -- it might work! I'm able to see all of my movies on my theater player even when the projector is off, probably because my Radiance Pro is still sending valid EDID while it's in standby.

I never knew this! I have two zones. One is my Home Theater with a Lumagen 5348 the a Strato C while my family room has a Strato S 12TB hooked to a Sony OLED TV. I use Sceond Scrren all the time to search movies while my systems are shut down with no issues.

John

I never knew this! I have two zones. One is my Home Theater with a Lumagen 5348 the a Strato C while my family room has a Strato S 12TB hooked to a Sony OLED TV. I use Sceond Scrren all the time to search movies while my systems are shut down with no issues.

John
Lol. Theater with a Strato C (and 5348, etc.) and family room with another Strato and Sony OLED. Sounds VERY familiar! :)

It seems to vary from device to device. Some displays continue to send a valid EDID on all inputs, even when they're in standby. Others will only send valid info for the currently selected input. I'd suggest giving it a try with your family room zone with the TV off -- it might work! I'm able to see all of my movies on my theater player even when the projector is off, probably because my Radiance Pro is still sending valid EDID while it's in standby.
Worked perfectly when I switched to our family room! The theater powers down completely when not used, but the family room setup (Strato, Marantz 8805, Sony OLED) must be sending some valid EDID. Thanks for the suggestion. SJ

I just discovered this. Wow. What a great app!! Thanks to the developers!! Is there an iPhone version? Can’t find one.

Is there any app like this for android or only choice is app from kscape only? I wish I can play music videos without using projector ON and just listen to audio.

Back