• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Second Screen App not seeing full collection

Edgar

Hi, my Second Screen app is only seeing 35 of my 151 movies. I created a "Downloads" collection in case is was only seeing "new" movies, but that didn't help. I rebooted the server and player, and the app briefly did recognize the full 151, but reverted to the same 35. And that 35 is a weird mix, some HDR, some HD, for movies that are HDR. I have changed some cover art files, but all are JPGs, not PNGs. Anyone experience this? Any suggestions? I'd like Second Screen to work! I've tried it on an iPad and on a Macbook Pro, same problem on both.

On the top middle of the screen does it say “All Movies”?

John

Check parental controls if you haven’t.

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey folks, thanks for fast replies. The top middle does say "All Movies" and the parental controls are set to all movies as well. However, the act of going into the parental controls made me check the player itself, and it was last on viewing just the Collections page. I switched it to the Covers page, and it restored all my movies! I'm seeing my full 91 movies I've downloaded.

One of the things that frequently causes this issue is if you’re connected to a player that does not support HDR, and you have a lot of HDR content in your library.

Now, you may be thinking, “My player definitely supports HDR!” However, your player determines whether it supports HDR based on the EDID information it gets back on HDMI from your display. And we’ve seen certain displays (or HDMI signal chains in general) where when things are powered off, they report incorrect/incomplete/bogus EDID information. This would cause your player to hide from its onscreen display any movies that it thinks you couldn’t play. And this, by extension, would cause Second Screen to hide those movies as well, since it’s designed to track what your onscreen display is showing.

If you were using the app with the TV off, and you turned the TV when you checked the player (or selected the player as the source, etc), it may have been that act rather than switching to the Covers view that caused Second Screen to show the whole library. Nothing about switching onscreen display places should cause that sort of update.

One of the things that frequently causes this issue is if you’re connected to a player that does not support HDR, and you have a lot of HDR content in your library.

Now, you may be thinking, “My player definitely supports HDR!” However, your player determines whether it supports HDR based on the EDID information it gets back on HDMI from your display. And we’ve seen certain displays (or HDMI signal chains in general) where when things are powered off, they report incorrect/incomplete/bogus EDID information. This would cause your player to hide from its onscreen display any movies that it thinks you couldn’t play. And this, by extension, would cause Second Screen to hide those movies as well, since it’s designed to track what your onscreen display is showing.

If you were using the app with the TV off, and you turned the TV when you checked the player (or selected the player as the source, etc), it may have been that act rather than switching to the Covers view that caused Second Screen to show the whole library. Nothing about switching onscreen display places should cause that sort of update.
That makes a lot more sense, and explains why I actually still have the problem. I came back to ask about that, and found the answer sitting here! Thanks for the detailed response, I can now stop thinking about it, and just plan to use Second Screen when my system is on.

Except he notes in the OP that the titles listed are a mix of HDR/HD/etc., so is the player failing to filter completely/correctly or is something else at fault?

I've noticed before that when my Mac goes to sleep, and I wake it up again, I don't get all my movies listed either. It has something to do with SecondScreen reconnecting with all the servers (I have several). Closing the app fully and relaunching it fixes the issue. I mostly use the app on my Mac, so I'm not sure it also happens on an iPad.

It shouldn’t be an issue with connection to multiple servers, unless one of the servers is offline. On the Kaleidescape system, all of the servers in a system run a distributed database and one of the servers is the ”primary”. That one is the one that Second Screen connects to, and it has a complete view of the entire library.

Even in the case of Co-Star, where you actually are running two separate systems, the Strato/Terra system connects to the Premiere system and fetches a representation of that system’s library, which it merges with its own. So once again, it’s a single connection to the system.

Without knowing a little more about the circumstances where you’re seeing a partial listing, I can’t quite guess what’s up, but there are a few possibilities. Second Screen does do progressive fetching of large libraries for performance, so it’s possible that your Mac went to sleep before that was complete and it didn’t resume as it should have.

Back