• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Scripting on Strato (Tips Please!)

RAV

I started playing with scripts on my Strato. Love the feature, but I am curious as to whether I can improve upon my results.

As an experiment, I created three scenes of short clips with great visuals (HDR) and sound (Atmos). I led off each scene with the movie's cover art (nice feature BTW), but I found two things that diminished the result...

First, there was an approximately five second blank screen "delay" between each cover and the associated scene (but no delay between the scene and next cover). Is this normal?

Second, the transitions in some cases were abrupt because of sound cutoff (no audio fade option that I can see). I can obviously choose my edit points more carefully to minimize this - but any other tips?

Thanks!

I do scripting with a Premiere system so was going to let people with Stratos comment first. However, with the lack of response I will jump in.

When I play scripts with scenes from different movies, I get anywhere from 3 to 6 secound delays between scenes. When I play scripts between screens from the same movie, I get 1-2 second delays. All of this is with HD content. My memory is that SD content was always faster (but it's been a while).

I have always assumed that the delay is due to buffering of content to ensure that things play flawlessly (which they always do).

I thought that going to 4K would require longer buffering and hence longer delays. From what you are getting, it sounds like delays are similar.

The transitions will be abrupt - sound and video cut off right where you set it.

Neither the delays or abrupt cutoffs ever bothered me. I was just thrilled to have this capability that I had never had before. The one thing that I wish I had was a random play option like is available with music on the Premiere system (I do a lot of scripts of songs/scenes from concerts).

John

Thanks – that is very helpful. That tells me that what I am encountering is entirely normal and to be expected.

To be clear – I am also very happy to have this capability on the Strato. It is yet another unique benefit of the Kaleidescape system (and great fun to play with).

My “engineering brain” of course is thinking through how the feature could be optimized to make it even better!

Sorry for the ultra late response, but I too am interested in anything that helps us dive deeper into what is one of my favorite features of the Kaleidescape system.

Regarding the fade-in/fade-out idea, I wonder if that would be possible through the use of a proper control system (ie RTI, Crestron, etc.). Essentially having a command sent to the AVR at the beginning/end of a scene to manually step up the volume and then back down. Hmmmm. I'll, have to look into that. I'd imagine it would be best to attempt to implement this via IP or RS-232 control, right?

While the abruptness has never bothered me whatsoever, it would be cool to tweak the scene functionality a bit more to do something like that! Interesting question, OP.

Back