• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Script Issues

brendon

Hey

I'm having problems getting a script to run on my server.
I followed the direction here: http://www.kaleidescape.com/files/documentation/Kaleidescape-QRG-002-Scripting-Tips.pdf

Since that did not work I tried to downloaded a few of the *.dat files from the "Downloads" area to import. Still nothing. I don't have all the DVD?s listed in the .dat files but according to Josh's post, if you have at least one of the movies it should import. Well I get the following error when I try to import files via the web utility.

"This file does not seem to be a script that was exported from a Kaleidescape System."
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Brendon

Hi Brendon...

The main problem seems to be that the *.DAT files that are posted here are all FAVORITE SCENE files, not Script files. They're different.

Favorite scenes are like bookmarks - they identify a startpoint (and optional endpoint) in a particular title. You import those via the web utility by going to the MOVIES tab, choosing "Favorite Scenes" from the pulldown list of collections, and then finding the "import file" thing at the bottom of the page. I highly recommend Kaleidescape owners try these out, and download the big collections we have here... it's an amazing (and free!) boost to the fun-factor of owning a Kaleidescape... the ability to get right to the best scenes, songs, action sequences, and memorable moments in thousands of movies.

SCRIPTS are different - they are a set of instructions that trigger events or cause things to happen (which can INCLUDE playing of a favorite scene, or a trailer, or a whole movie, but also things like controlling your lights, bringing up cover art, timing delays, switching soundtracks, etc.). Scripts can ALSO be exported, shared among users, and imported... but to my knowledge no one here has ever shared a script file for another user. Why? they're just less useful since they're highly personal in terms of taste, how you like to watch movies, and even your hardware setup. And they're pretty easy to make for yourself, to get things just the way you want. But overall, scripts just don't seem to be used very much, and are shared even less (if ever). A script that I make to play my favorite intro, trailer, trivia quiz, and setting up my masking and lighting is just statistically FAR less likely to ever be interesting or relevant to someone else. That user can make their own customized script in just a few minutes that does what THEY want... if they even care to automate a sequencing of a movie night or multi-step process.

Favorite Scene files lend themselves far better to sharing: they are a bit harder to make, (time-consuming, not difficult) and are instantly usable and valuable to thousands of other potential owners. Unlike scripts, everyone with that movie may find my Favorite Scene file for that movie useful and interesting, so they have more "sharing" value. (though even with that, I've long been surprised at the low utilization of FS sharing, even here on the forum.)

Try downloading and important favorite scene files here on the forum (those *.DAT files), and get used to how they work. THEN you can make your own scripts that play a bunch of scenes in sequence. I've done this so my daughter can, for instance, watch all her favorite songs from Season 1 of Glee, or from High School Musical, without interruption. (and without the naughty parts of Glee!)

So while Kaleidescape did take the time to make it technically possible to export and share scripts, it's pretty likely it has never happened among disparate owners... maybe only ever used between a dealer/integrator and his customers, or between a single customer's home and 2nd home or yacht? Just my guess...

Hope that helps explain...

--josh

Last edited:
On the script side of things, can you be more specific on what isn't working? Perhaps I can help.

Thanks for the info and explaination Josh.

@ Croptop, I figured out what I was doing wrong. Thanks for the added offer. :)

Brendon

Back