• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Scaling and processing question

vdeangel

I have a Samsung 1080P DLP set (which apparently can take inputs of: 480i/p, 720p, and 1080i).

I just recently purchased a Denon 3808 which has a recent faroudja chipset in it (sorry don't know anything more about it than that) which does video processing for either A to D or D to D (passthru?).

and I have a movie player (can never remember the model number but it is the last version outputting 1080i, not 1080p like the new players).

Is this just try and see what I like the look of or does theory and practice meet somewhere here?

What should I output at from the player resolution-wise? Should I scal or deinterlace or whatever is going on in my new Denon, in my Samsung? or in the player? or not at all? There are a few too many permutations here for me to try everything so I'd like to know if there is a common practice or a way to look at this logically to get the best output from my K player.

(then I might ask about my comcast dvr box which has variable output resolutions and my HD Series 3 TIVO box which does this as well!) :)

Thanks!!!!

Not sure which model Samsung you have, but if it's "native resolution" is 1920 x 1080, you would want to (probably) send it HDMI 1080i from the Movie Player 2 (which is what you have based on your description). I say "probably" because it is always possible that a different rez output could produce a better image. Testing the different player outputs is the best way to know, and most of us use the "Covers" page to evaluate the image (but you should obviously test other material as well). Regarding chipsets and processing, it is possible to have two exact chipsets in two different devices and get different results. Processing is more than the chipset alone, it involves the manufacturer's own implementation and can vary widely among manufacturers.

To further complicate things some flat panels have excellent processing, in which case you might consider sending 480i content and let the display handle the processing. Alternatively, the display's processing could be mediocre and having another pre-display device in the chain do the processing and then send the content in the display's native rez would likely yield a better image. Testing and more testing is the only way to be sure.

Jim

From the description you give it sounds like you have an early 1080p set if it does not accept 1080p. Regardless I would set the output of the k-scape to 1080i and let the display do the de-interlacing. I would also do the same for the Tivo/Cable box. The Denon should be set for A to D at a 1080i output.I would definatley not want the Samsung doing any processing.

Back