• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Running with Three Disks on KSERVER-1500

ddetton

I just replaced a bad KSERVER-1500 chassis yesterday with one that I bought from @AlienWarlock (thank you). I powered it up with serial logging on and it does boot normally. I have three working disks in the array and it does it report a disk missing which is accurate. I can access the web interface and I can see all of my content. However, when I start my M500 player, it reports that a disk is missing and will not bring up the interface. According to Rusty in kscape support, I should be able to use the system with three disks. I do plan to get another disk, I just wanted to verify that the system should run and play movies with three disks in the array. Thanks!

Yes, a 1U Server (K1500) should operate normally with 3 drives (assumes the drives are good and there are no problems with the file system).

Jim

I think that something just needs to get reset but there does not seem to be anything that I have access to. I have a notification in the kscape app that says a disk failed nine years ago which seems to be related to a drive in the chassis' previous life. I sent the drives to Rusty and he verified that the file system is good. The web interface works fine and the serial log indicates no issues. Except that I am running with three good drives which I should be able to do. Looks like another call to Kscape support. Thanks!

Yup, best to check back with Support, your problem is not the number of drives.

Jim

I asked this a while back and MikeKobb responded with the below. Basically the ability to play content is locked down in the case of a missing or failed disk. This is to prevent users from ignoring the failed disk message. But it is possible to have support override this (although not recommended).

Well that explains it. I just wanted to make sure that the replaced chassis was going to work with my three good drives. I’ll see if kscape support can bypass the error so that I can confirm I have a working system before laying down another $600. Thanks @AlienWarlock!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

@ddetton, based on what AW just posted, I may have misunderstood your meaning of a "missing" drive. I assumed you meant the Server only has 3 working drives confirmed by Support to all be good drives, and that you had an empty slot ("missing" drive). I did not think you were referring to a prior "failed" drive as the missing drive.

If it is indeed the case that the 1U originally had a 4 drive set, and one failed in the past, leaving only the 3 you currently have installed, then that would explain what you are seeing. As AW posted, and Mike's note explains, once a drive fails in a 1U, you must have it replaced or the server will no longer playback content. This is to protect the content on the remaining drives because a 2nd drive failure could result in the loss of all content if it happens before the first failed drive is replaced.

You will need to add a new drive before the system will playback content. I hope that's clear.

Jim

Back