• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Rome Season 1 release date, Stargate SG-1 masters?

Season 4 is available in HD now. I won’t purchase it until the issues are resolved on the first 3 seasons.

Our media team are investigating. We have an escalation open.
It has been about 3 months. Any update on these? I understand these are many TV episodes and can take a while to process all. I would like an update whether this is in the works. Thanks.

Sorry I missed your earlier query! It is still being worked on. We identified some issues with the way the content was encoded and have found improvements for those. There's still an issue being investigated, however. Long story short, the video is a slightly odd size (presumably a non-square pixel thing). That's what's causing the player to show it as HD even though it is actually SD. I'm not sure if that's going to require another transcoding change or if it will be addressed in kOS.

Sorry I missed your earlier query! It is still being worked on. We identified some issues with the way the content was encoded and have found improvements for those. There's still an issue being investigated, however. Long story short, the video is a slightly odd size (presumably a non-square pixel thing). That's what's causing the player to show it as HD even though it is actually SD. I'm not sure if that's going to require another transcoding change or if it will be addressed in kOS.
I appreciate the update. Looking forward to the corrected versions. Do you know if Season 4 is suffering similar issues? I was hesitant buying it after the first 3 seasons.

I am told that Season 4 is natively HD, so I would not expect the same issues.
I purchased and watched the first few minutes of SG-1 Season 4. So far it looks very good.

The audio is DTS HD-MA 5.1 and PCM 2.0 which are marked improvements from the DVD and Blu-ray releases.

Do you know if the later seasons will be added to the store in the future?

Yes, HD versions of the later seasons are in the plans. They're being done on a time-available basis so it may take awhile to cover the remaining seasons, but they should continue to arrive over time.

Yes, HD versions of the later seasons are in the plans. They're being done on a time-available basis so it may take awhile to cover the remaining seasons, but they should continue to arrive over time.
Excellent news! Thanks for the update!

Is there any plans to add other SG shows to the store? Atlantis and/or SG-U?

Personally, I would love that. Especially SG-U. Nothing that can be announced at this time, I'm afraid.

Particularly irksome since Season 1 came out on BD, but Season 2 is only available in HD as part of the complete series...
I own the Season 1 only. I didn’t buy the complete series. The initial release Season 1 has lossless soundtrack whereas the complete series has lossy Dolby Digital 5.1. From what I read, they also messed up the 5.1 mixing on the complete series. Maybe there will be a German or UK release for Season 2 with better merits.

Amazon, Vudu, and Apple all have them available (ironically not Peacock,) so would have to figure the EST assets are out there if K ever thinks they are worth the time to mux.

Same here on all three seasons. I tried some other SD downloads and all is 480i60 except these Stargate SG-1 seasons.
I noticed the LD-S9 in your signature. I have a few LD players. Love the format. There is only one SG-1 release on LD which has the pilot episode. It looks and sounds very good.

I noticed the LD-S9 in your signature. I have a few LD players. Love the format. There is only one SG-1 release on LD which has the pilot episode. It looks and sounds very good.

It was a great format indeed. That one I missed. But newer saw the series until now when I bought in K. 5 episodes I believe I've seen so far.
I have the deluxe edition of the movie Stargate which was the uncut version. $60 for 9 minutes longer movie but bought in release anyway. Those were the expensive days buying movies.

There was also this for 25k yen, approx. $200 in 1995 dollars.

People say Kaleidescape is expensive. No format will dethrone Hi-Vision Laserdiscs in premium pricing. $8k for the player, $2k for the Muse decoder, and $200-$300 for each disc back in 1992. Hey, that gets you Stargate in HD, two decades earlier than any home…only if you lived in Japan as this was a Japan only format :)

There was also this for 25k yen, approx. $200 in 1995 dollars.

People say Kaleidescape is expensive. No format will dethrone Hi-Vision Laserdiscs in premium pricing. $8k for the player, $2k for the Muse decoder, and $200-$300 for each disc back in 1992. Hey, that gets you Stargate in HD, two decades earlier than any home…only if you lived in Japan as this was a Japan only format :)

I was thinking about a HLD-X0 or HLD-X9 to be able to play these Hi-Vision discs when I bought my LD-S9 back in 2005. But the movies as you say they were expensive and still expensive in 2005. I just not could justify the extra cost for the small amount of movies released on the Hi-Vision format.
I did buy the Japanese release of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. I think it's still the only release of the theatrical version.

Sorry for the off topic.

Back