• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Reviews missing on some popular albums

AlienW

Let me start by saying that the album database that k uses is pretty impressive in that in recognizes most of what I throw at it. Out of almost 500 albums loaded, only 36 were unrecognized or wrongly recognized and thus required keying in all the information. And then there is the occasional album that is recognized but for some reason don't have the album cover... No big deal, just go to google images and download one.

The issue that I am wondering about is why do some very popular albums that are fully recognized (ie they have track info, genre info, album cover, artist photos, etc...) not have the album review text populated?

Example: I loaded the Pink Floyd albums recently, Echos and Dark Side of the Moon have the review but The Wall and Wish You Were Here do not. I have several other examples, but these seemed like the most egregious. I can understand that many less popular albums might not have have a review... For these examples however, I can see the review on allmusic.com, but for some reason it is not making it to the k interface.

Dark Side of the Moon - the exact review text seen in the k interface is here:
https://www.allmusic.com/album/rele...20th-anniversary-limited-edition-mr0001746727

The Wall - no review on screen, but present on allmusic:
https://www.allmusic.com/album/release/the-wall-mr0000683777

I guess for The Wall especially the issue could be with the various alternate versions in the database for this album, but it should be possible to pull the review from the parent title if it is it not present in the particular alternate database record. Just a little bit of LEFT JOIN might do the trick ;)

I did a little bit of asking around, and it seems that the root of this issue lies with how our data provider links reviews to different versions of the same album. With an album like The Wall, which has been reissued many, many times, the problem is more likely to come up than with others, unfortunately.

Fundamentally, the problem is that sometimes versions of the album are slightly different, which affects recognition and track listings, so we can't just collapse them all together blindly, lest we introduce other issues.

Hope this helps explain the source of the issue. We'll take a look at this album specifically to see if there's anything that can be done.

Back