• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Responses to Classical mode?

KirkPatton

Hello all,

Just joined the group . . . I was actually pointed here by the support guys at Kaleidescape.

I'm a Kaleidescape dealer here in the Midwest, and since I'm a fairly prolific classical music collector, was asked for feedback on the new "Classical mode" that's currently in beta . . . I wanted to hear a couple of other opinions before ranting back at them. Here's what I've noticed:

First, I really like the extensive cross-referencing of composers and performers between various discs, even with compilations . . . the main problem that I have is keeping track of where I am in the heirarchy, and I sometimes get confused as to from where a set of details are derived (okay, am I still in a subheading for this album? Or have I moved into a "composers' area" of the list?) I also think it would be nice to be able to sort composers (and even performers) by different characteristics and chronology.

As far as how to change this, I would actually like to see three separate "lists", referring to the "list" section of the on-screen GUI, one for non-classical, one for classical performers, and one for classical composers. This would be in lieu of the tabs in the "collections" section.

Within the Composers list, the additional fields (moving horizontally) would be things such as year of birth, nationality, style of works, and scale of works. Performers could have year of birth or inception (for ensembles), major instrument, major discipline. Examples:

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, 1756, Classical, Symphonic/Chamber/Opera
Josquin des Pres, 1440, Renaissance/Polyphonic, Choral/Chamber

Gidon Kremer, 1944(?), Violin, Chamber/Solo
Tokyo String Quartet, 1978(?), String Quartet, Chamber
Peter Oundjian, 1956(?), Violin, String Quartet/Chamber

That way, one could sort on the year, and have Josquin surrounded by Obrecht, Tallis, Palestrina, etc. or select Polyphonic, and add people like Bach to the mix. You could also bring up all of the string quartets, or select Oundjian and see the Tokyo String Quartet recordings where he played as the first violinist. When one narrowed the list (i.e. selecting Gidon Kremer), all of his recordings would then still come up in list format, in the same way that using the Search feature currently works.

Anyway, what do others think on this?

Regards,

Kirk Patton

This way

Hi Kirk, welcome to the forums, glad you found it, and very cool that Kscape support is recommending this little forum here.

You're much deeper into this thinking on the Classical subsystem than me, but your thoughts reflect my initial impressions of it. I tried to convey some of that sense of "where am I? how'd I get here" in my initial review of the classical subsystem. You've done a much better job...

I think in general, they're headed in the right direction but it definitely needs some context and structure rethink. It is quite easy to get lost. You end up hitting the "Stop" button and watch about 30-40 successive popups cascade off the screen that have layered themselves during your "travels"...

I'll defer to you on the ways that real classical aficionados would really use the system.

We've actually had surprisingly little discussion about the Classical system here on the boards... Originally I think it was because there were only a few beta testers here that had access to it.

Now that system 3.3 is released, users may not remember that this mode is accessible to all, if a bit hidden. But I've tried to remind people here about it...

hopefully more will try it and chime in with thoughts and feedback. Yes, the Kaleidescape engineers and UI team do watch these threads and are very interested in our thoughts. It truly is a chance to help shape a product that we all love,

--josh

Back