• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Request from Kaleidescape: Mobile Apps feedback

I have it on my iPads. Not sure what else it works on...
as previously discussed, it is able to be installed on any M1/M2 ("Apple Silicon") macs as well. I use it on my Macbook and it's great.
It is NOT installable on any Mac with Intel processors.

I pretty much only use Second Screen, and it's a pretty poor app.

In the "movies" tab, the menu at the bottom keeps going away after a few seconds, so if I need to pause a movie (intermission), I have to tap the button to have it slide out again, and then tap intermission.

Or on the "remote" tab, the intermission button is there, but it uses all the screen real estate with no nice function. Why isn't the movie poster there? Why isn't the time elapsed / time remaining displayed there? You need to revamp that tab!

And why can't I search on duration in that app? Yes, I can sort by time on the system itself, but the whole point of Second Screen is to be able to find the movie to watch on the app. I'd love to have a criteria builder like:
  • Genre
  • Duration (probably with a slider that can reduce from either side)
  • Era (perhaps per decade), able to select more than 1 era
  • Actor
  • Director
  • Watched
  • Last Watched
  • Sound Format
  • Resolution
But clearly, I want to be able to combine these criteria. I have over 500 movies already, and more coming, so if I want Sci-Fi movies from the '60s, I want it to show 2001: A Space Odyssey and any others that match those 2 criteria.

Here's what that looks like in ROON with 3 criteria:

• 1960's
  • Blues
  • Live
Screenshot 2023-02-01 at 12.06.20.png

Another super annoying thing, is that at least half of the time, Second Screen will not show all movies. With movies, TV shows and Concerts, I have over 600:

Screenshot 2023-02-01 at 16.48.02.png

But this is what Second Screen shows:

Screenshot 2023-02-01 at 16.46.32.png

And that's without filters set on Second Screen.

Do your totals include titles that are not downloaded?

John

It would be nice if the volume slider on the app could be changed (via additional commands during startup/connection from the app to your control system). It only allows 0-100. Many processors use -100-0. Thanks!
I’m curious what the experts do for this? I’m used to Trinnov -100 to 0 as the scale. Think there is no way to change this that I’m aware of. Assume there are other audio processors which have the same scale. For the app it is 0-100%. Makes it a bit confusing. For the interim, I’m just taking the Trinnov volume and multiplying by -1 to get a positive number and displaying that on the app. The app rejects negative numbers. I could convert to 0-100 I guess, but too much work and would be different than the normal scale on various remotes. First world issues….

Another super annoying thing, is that at least half of the time, Second Screen will not show all movies. With movies, TV shows and Concerts, I have over 600:

View attachment 3310

But this is what Second Screen shows:

View attachment 3311

And that's without filters set on Second Screen.
OK the plot thickens... I was just about to watch a movie, turned everything on, and grabbed my iPad... That shows 600 movies.
So I took my MacBook, relaunched Second Screen, and now that shows 600 movies too...

It seems if the Strato C is powered off, or if it doesn't see an HDR capable device, that it'll NOT show the HDR movies. That seems silly. @MikeKobb is that expected behavior?

OK the plot thickens... I was just about to watch a movie, turned everything on, and grabbed my iPad... That shows 600 movies.
So I took my MacBook, relaunched Second Screen, and now that shows 600 movies too...

It seems if the Strato C is powered off, or if it doesn't see an HDR capable device, that it'll NOT show the HDR movies. That seems silly. @MikeKobb is that expected behavior?

I’ve noticed this every so often as well.. you just need to occasionally take the Strato C off standby and it will show all movies. Appears to only effect HDR titles

Yes, it will only ever show content it thinks can be played, so if it thinks there aren't any HDR-capable displays they won't appear outside the web interface.

The Second Screen app is designed to follow the movie presentation of the zone that it is controlling. Imagine, for example, that you have an iPad in the kids' playroom. That iPad would show the movies for that zone, respecting both the playback capabilities of the zone and also the current parental control level.

So, be sure you select the correct player zone when you're using the app. Also, as noted, our players will not show you HDR-only movies in the library if the connected display says that it can't play them. The UI is designed to show you what you can play. Unfortunately, some TVs will report different EDID information (display capabilities) when they're turned off, and that affects what the player shows in the UI, and therefore what Second Screen shows. It might be that it will work okay so long as your player is actually turned on, though, so it could be worth experimenting there.

Back