• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Rent vs. Buy Behavior Feedback/Poll

How will rentals affect your purchasing behavior?

• I will buy less and rent more.

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • I will buy about the same and not rent.

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • I will buy about the same and additionally rent.

Votes: 35 79.5%

• Total voters

TrackZ

Hello all,

With the rental feature on its way, I'm curious if and how your content behavior might change with regards to buying less and renting more.

I put some poll style questions, but feel free to post and dialog as well.

Is there any related to rental logistics that might affect if and how you use them?

Thanks!

I think nothing still will collect but I will have more choice than just buy and delete and will give me more space to use it for my collection as I have around 30TB storage space it’s nice move and it’s give K to think more in PVOD even after the COVID gone and it will gone and every one will hope to be safe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello all,

With the rental feature on its way, I'm curious if and how your content behavior might change with regards to buying less and renting more.

I put some poll style questions, but feel free to post and dialog as well.

Is there any related to rental logistics that might affect if and how you use them?

Thanks!

Would love the option to rent, and ultimately if I really enjoy the flick, I would buy with a credit of the rental price on the purchase option (even if this is time barred). Typically now if we are on the fence, I rent on itunes, and wait for a sale or purchase the bluray for the DV700.

Agreed. I usually rent (or used to go to the theater) a movie and only buy it if it's something I know I'd watch again. And if getting to apply all or a portion of my rental to the purchase was an option, THAT would probably increase the number of purchases I made.

I'm interested in the rental ability - more user features can only be a good thing - but certainly echo the comments above about pricing wrt buying following a rental. I hope there is some level of "credit" towards a purchase if you do rent first. It still leaves a bad taste every time I buy something that is HD only, to which a 4K version then appears but the cost is the same as if I hadn't bought the HD version in the first place. If the 4K version had been available first then I would have bought that - in effect, this actually reduces my willingness to buy. I hope similar scenarios can be limited/least mitigated somewhat on rentals.

Should add that a pre-download option would be super useful too - the same way preorders work - similar too to the new feature on Xbox Series X where you can download anything ahead of time but it won't play until the "license" is in place, ie purchased/rented. It can take anywhere from 2-12 hours to download a 4K film from where I am given my reliance on LTE and all the fun that comes with that... roll on "end of 2021" when I'm told I'll be enabled for Fibre to the home... <believe it when I see it>

P
Should add that a pre-download option would be super useful too - the same way preorders work - similar too to the new feature on Xbox Series X where you can download anything ahead of time but it won't play until the "license" is in place, ie purchased/rented. It can take anywhere from 2-12 hours to download a 4K film from where I am given my reliance on LTE and all the fun that comes with that... roll on "end of 2021" when I'm told I'll be enabled for Fibre to the home... <believe it when I see it>
Pre-download is there like mulan it’s in my system but wont appears till the release day and most of pre order are the same download before the due date of release

Yeah, I meant having the ability to download any available title, whether you own it or not, not just preorders. That way I could pick a bunch of films ahead of a Friday night and then just pay for the one we choose to watch and we are all ready to go with no delays. That’s what Microsoft are allowing from next month, maybe sooner.

I think that’s a game changer, particularly for those with less than epic internet connections

Yeah, I meant having the ability to download any available title, whether you own it or not, not just preorders. That way I could pick a bunch of films ahead of a Friday night and then just pay for the one we choose to watch and we are all ready to go with no delays. That’s what Microsoft are allowing from next month, maybe sooner.

I think that’s a game changer, particularly for those with less than epic internet connections
Compare microsoft to K is not kind of apple to apple but as I chose to go ahead with xbox rather than PS5 for the first time use a PS4 player seem to be great option I will had

Welcome to Xbox 😎🤓👍🏼

Aye, K might not be allowed to do that across its library but you never know

I think a partial pre-download is something that we will eventually see. You can still start the movie instantly while the balance of the movie downloads.

Its hard to say. I'm sort of using a rental model already because I have a nearly maxed-out 12TB Stratos and about. 20TB of UHD content that I've purchased. So I download movies to the Stratos when I think I might want to watch them in the near future, then delete them to free up space for more downloads. I know I could buy a Terra and I'll probably buy one eventually, but for now I'm pissed that I have about 40TB of very expensive disk space free on a Premiere server that I can't use for 4K downloads. So in the mean time I'm using this model and if I could start watching a download instantly, that would be awesome. I have 400MB download speeds consistently.

Back