• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

• 🔷Why can't I make a new post here in "The Marketplace"? 🤔

All registered users can reply to other members' posts here in the Marketplace, to respond as potential buyer or ask questions of the seller.
    However, only members who have paid to become "Premium" members or "Patrons" can make a new "for sale" post here in Marketplace.

Premium memberships can be purchased for as little as $10... a very reasonable fee in order to sell equipment here, far lower than the seller's fee would be on eBay or Audiogon or other sites. Our site doesn't sell ads or sell user's information. This small fee is the only source of funds for the site to offset the costs it takes to run the forum.

For more information on purchasing a Premium or Patron membership, please see the Account Upgrades section of your user profile.

WANTED: Reformatted Disc(s) for 1U server

macas2k

⭐️ Premium ⭐️
Hi,

I would either like to buy 1 X 750GB/ 1TB to go with the basic 3 X 750GB that I have or 4 X 2TB discs to increase capacity. I am using the standard 1U server.

Discs need to be empty/ re-initiallised so I can use them in my 1U server.

Many thanks.

...if you find a set of (4) 2Tb drives that came out of a 1u server they won't need to be invalidated, they'll just drop straight into your server as a file system.

That, and you will need to arrange for an empty chasis w/ replication ... unless you plan to just manually re-import everything. *shudder*

Then again, if you are willing to get 4x2, why not just go the disc cartridge upgrade program route?

Disc upgrade

Hi,
I could do the upgrade but it costs 7500 use in Europe. Want to see what is available before I commit to this.
Thanx for advice, 4 discs in a matched set also would be great.
Cheers.

I don't know if this facility is still available but it used to be possible to rent a server from K via a dealer to enable a replication to take place.

It might worth checking with your dealer if you have a lot of discs to re-import.

1U Server discs

Hi,
I have 3 X 1U servers so not too worried about having the ability to replicate. One server is empty with 3 X 750GB discs - this is why I want either 1 X 750GB or 4 X 2TB (or even 4 X 1TB) as I have no content on that server.
Many thanks.

Hi macas,

I have 3 750GB hard drives that have not been reinitialized. They came out of a 3U server, replaced with 2TB drives. I don't know how to format them.

E-mail me if you'd like to make an offer... thinkrick at gmail.com

Thanks,
Rick

Hi macas,

I have 3 750GB hard drives that have not been reinitialized....I don't know how to format them...

I don't think the 750's can be invalidated, they're too old now...in which case they need to be kept together as a file system. Hence I suspect they might not be suitable for this application.

Hi macas, .......... I don't know how to format them........Thanks,
Rick

This is done by sending the disks to K to be reinitialized. Contact your dealer, or K Support directly, to get the details. The disks cannot be used by anyone else until they are reinitialized (unless all of your disks are going into an empty Server).

Jim

Jim, Kaleidescape won't invalidate 750GB discs anymore. I tried to get mine done, they said no.

Is it K policy now not to reinitialize disks that are beyond their maximum warranty period?

This is not a new development. Prior to having any discs invalidated you must provide Kaleidescape with the serial numbers of the discs, and they will then advise which ones can be accepted for invalidation and which can't. Their age is the determining factor, I think 3 years? My understanding is all 750GB discs are now too old to qualify for invalidation.

I could be wrong about this, but I think the only options for 750GB discs now are to:
1. keep them together as a functional file system, or
2. send them to Kaleidescape for a like-for-like exchange (whether the disc works or not doesn't matter), or
3. send them to Kaleidescape with their server and have them exchanged for new discs and a refurbished server.

Hi,
I have 3 X 750 already so the above discs are not really an option. Ideally a set of drives above this size as this is what I have already. Many thanks for all the advice.

I'm in a similar position to you. I have 2 file systems of 750GB discs that aren't much use to me any more. Your choices are limited, option #3 in my post above is about all you can do, or buy some 2TB on the used market and either re-import or borrow another server and replicate.

Hi,
Yes, I have 3 X 1U servers. I ideally want some 2TB drives as you say above.
Cheers,

Back