• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Recommendations for a Projector Screen

flitebynite

I'm looking for recommendations for a high quality Projector Screen.
I currently have a 110" (Pic attached) Screen that was the existing one when I bought my House. I have added a high quality Sony 4K / 3D Projector and I'd like to pair it with an equally high quality Screen.
I have room for a 120" maybe even a 140".
Are there any drawbacks to the larger Screens?
Curved vs. Flat?
Other features to consider?
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Chris

P.S.
A little extra info that may help others help me.
Projector is a Sony VPL-VW600ES
1700 ANSI Lumens
My seated position is 16 feet from the face of the Screen.
I have 100% controlled (including color) lighting.
There are no windows in the room or Ambient light.
16:9 is my preferred aspect ratio. Due to the fact I use this as my every day TV.
Thanks again for your help.
Chris

Attachments

• Movie Screen.jpg
    Movie Screen.jpg
    498.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Hey Chris,

I just put together my theater room using a 132" fixed-width 16:9 screen from Seymour AV and love it. I must say that working directly with the guys at Seymour was a pleasure too, making the whole experience that much easier (there were definitely headaches elsewhere :)). My projector is not true-4K (an Epson 5050UB), but I've been very happy with how the image looks thus far. In addition to Kscape Strato, my sources include Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Phono (no video there), and an Xbox One.

Ultimately, my decision was budget-based as I really wanted an automatic masking screen to take advantage of the Kscape aspect triggers (the UI looks amazing in 2.40 BTW), and Seymour had the most reasonable prices. If I chose to spend more, there are some other great brands on the market with similar screens (e.g., Stewart Filmscreen, Da-Lite, VuTec)... I'm just not sure how much I would have noticed with my projector/setup.

There are LCR speakers behind my screen as well which limited the material selection to only those with acoustically-transparent (AT) properties. Ultimately, I chose the Center Stage XD from Seymour (with a published 1.2 gain) and have been extremely pleased with the sound-quality as well as the lack of a moiré pattern (I read this can be more common in AT screens with their weaving patterns).

There are a number of great resources online, but one I found helpful on some of the screen materials is here: https://www.accucalav.com/wp-content/uploads/accucal_front_projection_screen_report.pdf

For reference, my main viewing location is about 14 feet away to the front surface, and I do like the larger size (If I recall, some of the online calculators were recommending more like a 120" size). My kids love it too, all though the wife has mentioned she'd wishes it was a little smaller. At 16 feet, that size (or there about) may also work nicely for you. Ultimately though, it comes down to your preference... just think about where you like to sit at a public theater (front, middle, back). I tend to sit in the middle toward the front third and like more of an "IMAX" feel.

Good luck,
Andy

Hey Chris,

I just put together my theater room using a 132" fixed-width 16:9 screen from Seymour AV and love it. I must say that working directly with the guys at Seymour was a pleasure too, making the whole experience that much easier (there were definitely headaches elsewhere :)). My projector is not true-4K (an Epson 5050UB), but I've been very happy with how the image looks thus far. In addition to Kscape Strato, my sources include Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Phono (no video there), and an Xbox One.

Ultimately, my decision was budget-based as I really wanted an automatic masking screen to take advantage of the Kscape aspect triggers (the UI looks amazing in 2.40 BTW), and Seymour had the most reasonable prices. If I chose to spend more, there are some other great brands on the market with similar screens (e.g., Stewart Filmscreen, Da-Lite, VuTec)... I'm just not sure how much I would have noticed with my projector/setup.

There are LCR speakers behind my screen as well which limited the material selection to only those with acoustically-transparent (AT) properties. Ultimately, I chose the Center Stage XD from Seymour (with a published 1.2 gain) and have been extremely pleased with the sound-quality as well as the lack of a moiré pattern (I read this can be more common in AT screens with their weaving patterns).

There are a number of great resources online, but one I found helpful on some of the screen materials is here: https://www.accucalav.com/wp-content/uploads/accucal_front_projection_screen_report.pdf

For reference, my main viewing location is about 14 feet away to the front surface, and I do like the larger size (If I recall, some of the online calculators were recommending more like a 120" size). My kids love it too, all though the wife has mentioned she'd wishes it was a little smaller. At 16 feet, that size (or there about) may also work nicely for you. Ultimately though, it comes down to your preference... just think about where you like to sit at a public theater (front, middle, back). I tend to sit in the middle toward the front third and like more of an "IMAX" feel.

Good luck,
Andy
Thank you Andy.
Your input is certainly appreciated.
I've seen Seymour online. I'll check them out.
Chris

I personally would find a good dealer who could work with you. Things to consider is light output especially for 4K HDR. You may want to get a gain screen that can support your projector. The other thing is possibly getting a masking system. With a 16:9 screen, you would only need top masking as you can shift the picture to the bottom (assuming your projector or video processor can do this). Stewart makes great screens although usually higher priced. Dealers also can get you samples of material. SJ

I agree with all the input you’ve received so far except for screen size. i sit 16’ from a 110” screen and feel that it is perfect in my room. Performance wise I could’ve gone 120 but went with 110 due to aesthetic issues. i have caved to many clients wishes for bigger(120-150) and I‘m usually unhappy with the results. Having said that you’ll be the one watching it so pick the one that makes YOU happy. Finally, Da-Lite has some great products and design tools on their site.

Good luck!

I did a Stewart Cima Neve in my room. It's great.

Buy it here for an amazing discount:

I did a 135". I sit about 13' feet back and currently have a JVC NX7.

Only at trade shows, haven't sold, or used, their screens yet, but two integrator friends have, and they indicated the screens were very good, and at a lower cost than would be expected given the quality. Just from a general knowledge sense, I've never heard any negative comments about Elite's products, and we usually do if there is a problem, so I think they could be fairly considered in your search.

Jim

Only at trade shows, haven't sold, or used, their screens yet, but two integrator friends have, and they indicated the screens were very good, and at a lower cost than would be expected given the quality. Just from a general knowledge sense, I've never heard any negative comments about Elite's products, and we usually do if there is a problem, so I think they could be fairly considered in your search.

Jim
Thanks Jim,
Chris

Jim

I have been used Elunevision as well and had great success. Their reference 4K is a great option, well reviewed and goes well with my JVC.

I haven’t had the pleasure of seeing full size side by side comparison to a lot of the other brands to be fair, but the local dealers here seem to think they perform really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I considered Elite as well as Silver Ticket before buying the Stewart. My research told me that Elite and ST are good, but not great, and Stewart was great. Regular Stewart screens were very very expensive, but the Cima line made it affordable. Your screen is something that will stay in your room for a long long time even as you go through projector upgrades over the years. "Date your projector, marry your screen" right? Same with speakers vs. your receiver/preamp. One will stick around, and one will see regular upgrades.

I ended up going with a Stewart Luxus Ultramatte 130 screen when picking up our Sony 885es. dimensionally worked out to be approx 138” at 2.40 aspect ratio. Also opted for it to be wall mount/retractable as we flipped the room dynamics and it retracts down over a north facing window.

I ultimately went with the Elite Screens Aeon Cinewhite 135" 16:9.
I was able to get it assembled and hung last night.
It fits in my enclosure very nicely.
I watched Ad Astra last night. It looked awesome compared to the old Screen.

Attachments

• 20200129_053848.jpg
    20200129_053848.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 38
Back