• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Reader? I have

wdpvideo

Hello,

I have a Rimage system, which I would like to turn into a reader for my personal use. Rimage is the same as a reader just built much better, Basically its a computer with network capability just like a reader, Why Kaleidesacpe sells that crap as a reader is beyond me but anyway that?s besides the point. My Rimage can hold 600 Disc and had robotics and everything just like the reader. Here a link to my system
http://www.rimage.com/products/producer-series/7100n-a-7100.html
Can I install the software that the reader uses on my system to do the same thing? What software does it use? And can I buy just the software that drives the reader for my Rimage. Sorry Kaleidescape I think the reader is junk and most that own them think the same thing. I know a Rimage system is very expensive and out of the question but disk makers makes a better unit than the reader and I thought you could not build a bigger piece of junk than disk makers but I was obviously wrong. Anyway, I did not mean to get on my soap opera can any one help? Please forgive me of bashing the reader I just want to help with future equipment and I think Rimage can build a reader that would blow the one away on the market Kaleidescape offers plus I know that the robotics on a Rimage is top notch and no I do not work for Rimage. My company just blu-ray and DVD duplicate 1000?s of disk a month and they are top notch machines. Anyway please help me if anyone can?

P.S: Kaleidescape I love you guys what a great product. :)

You cannot directly obtain, nor can you modify K's, software. First, it is not available to us on a direct basis. Second, even if it were directly available it would be a violation of the SLA to use the software to incorporate any device into a K System that was not approved by K.

On to the discussion of the "Reader" as you call it. I'm not sure if you are actually referring to a "Reader" (as in KREADER that originally came with a K-System and was used to load single DVD's) or if you are referring to a "SPEEDREADER" (used for multiple disk loading). It appears from your "link" that you may be referring to a SPEEDREADER.

If you are referring to the KREADER, this was discontinued long ago (not because of performance, but because K integrated the "reading" ability into their KPLAYERS). Many of these are still in service and work as advertised so I would strongly disagree with any comment indicating they performed poorly.

If you are referring to K's SPEEDREADER, I have a couple of problems with your comments. First, you indicate you think it is a "piece of junk" (I disagree, but you are entitled to your opinion). My question is: On what basis do you form this opinion? Does it not load disks? Did it break down? If so, did you contact support? Maybe your opinion is formed based on a comparison between the KSPEEDREADER and the "commercial" product you linked to in your post? If so, is that fair? Further, if your opinion is based on such a comparison, you must obviously see this device as an alternative to K's SPEEDREADER, and presumably "better." If so, what does it do "better?" What does it cost?......

Second, in stating your displeasure with the "Reader" you indicate "most that own them think the same thing." Really???? Who? I know MANY owners, and none as ever complained to me, nor have they ever made a negative comment about the speed reader or it's capabilities. Is it really fair to imply YOUR feelings to others? On a personal note, I still own a Bulk Loader that has always performed flawlessly (other than a single shipping issue I had when I shipped it to a friend to import his content, but this was not a K issue). I do not own the KSPEEDREADER, but those I've seen work as advertised.

Not saying there are not commercial products that might do a better job, but K is after all a business, and as a business they have to select products that best address their market. In doing so, there is always a cost-benefit analysis conducted to balance business requirements with clients needs and spending limits. I doubt (but don't know) that K could have marketed a Speed Reader priced higher than the current device.

Just my opinion.

Jim

Last edited:
I think the issue with the Speedreader had to do with some spindles bending and causing some issues. Those happened because people treat a spindle like a handle and once they do, problems happen. The bulk system linked seems to avoid that issue by not having the spindles in an area that could be mistaken for a handle.

At any rate, no way you would be able to get the Kaleidescape software onto that reader. I contacted the manufacture of the Kaleidescape speedreader to see if I could get a 4 drive system with the Kaleidescape software on it and they coudln't do it. Not that they wouldn't do it due to licensing but that the modificaitions they had to do on their 2 drive system wouldn't work on the 4 drive system so it would require a bit of work on their end and for a 1-off purchase I don't see that making sense.

I do not have a speedreader but do have a bulk loader and it has worked reasonably well to the point that I am satisfied. My only gripes are the load time to fill and empty the carousel and that the bulk loader is slower than the speed reader on CD's. It also doesn't have the work arounds for the problem discs that the single tray readers have but there are so few of those that I run into that it is easy enough to pop those in a tray manually while the bulk loader is chugging away on the rest of the titles.

*I love to see the opinions by the way cinelife that's what mine was. I am talking about a Speedreader (I did not know it was fast?) however you quote If you are referring to K's SPEEDREADER, I have a couple of problems with your comments. First, you indicate you think it is a "piece of junk" (I disagree, but you are entitled to your opinion) I guess you have no interworking with robitics...to know junk when you see it, and yes I have used speed readers in the passed and when looking to buy one, most will say to you "Save your money' They are junk and whatever you do don't ship it! I can see why because in understand what the reader is bang for buck its junk. It is software driven with a robotics.
Its that simple...Sorry to hurt your soft feelings. Next time I find a Thread you do not read.

.........I guess you have no interworking with robitics...Sorry to hurt your soft feelings. Next time I find a Thread you do not read.

Correct, I do not.

You didn't "hurt my feelings," you can't, it isn't possible. I spent 12 years as a trial lawyer, every insult that is possible has been thrown at me over the years.:)

You can't, I read every thread, it's my "job.":D

Seriously, relax, you are entitled to your opinion and to express it here on the forum (otherwise your post would have been deleted!!:eek::D). I'm kidding (about deleting).

Jim

Well, I have a speed reader and it works as advertised. When it picks up a disk, it is noisy because it shakes the dvd to insure that it has only one rather than two. Other than that it is reasonably quiet except for the fan. However, if I am planning to load at night, I just shut the door to my office and I hear nothing.

12 years as a trial lawyer? Anything has to be an improvement on that experience.

Back