• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Quick K store movie labeling question when it comes to HDR and UHD

Rengozu

With an actual 4K UHD disc, the majority of them released feature HDR coloring. Was just curious the difference or why/how there are lots of movies in the K Store that have only the HDR marking and aren't considered UHD while there are others that have both. What criteria get a title get the UltraHD label? With discs I just always understood it as the HDR being optional for UHD but that it had to be UHD quality to utilize HDR.

The HDR flag by itself means that the download is both UltraHD and HDR. Movies that are flagged only as UHD are only available in SDR UltraHD. Movies that have both the HDR and UHD flags mean that two different downloads are available, one that is both UltraHD and HDR, and one that is UltraHD and SDR.

It all depends on what source files the studios make available to Kaleidescape.

To expand a bit:
HDR badge: Movie is 4K, high dynamic range
UHD badge: Movie is 4K, standard dynamic range
HDR badge + UHD badge: Movie is 4K, and is available in both high dynamic range and standard dynamic range versions.

Why would we offer both HDR and SDR versions? Because many projectors will produce a better image with SDR material, since their light output is lower than flat-panel displays. Since we have many customers who use projectors, we make the SDR versions available when we can to serve them best, while offering HDR versions for those who view on flat panels or ultra-bright projectors.

Thanks so much for those answers! Having a projector myself, now I'll have to play around with both. Was just always accustomed to them being a package deal together that it didn't occur that sometimes there was a split option provided with us projector owners in mind.

Why would we offer both HDR and SDR versions? Because many projectors will produce a better image with SDR material, since their light output is lower than flat-panel displays. Since we have many customers who use projectors, we make the SDR versions available when we can to serve them best, while offering HDR versions for those who view on flat panels or ultra-bright projectors.
The other benefit is that UHD can be downscaled, if the Strato is connected to a non-4k display, while HDR versions cannot, so you need fewer versions downloaded in a mixed-resolution system.

Since we have many customers who use projectors, we make the SDR versions available when we can to serve them best, while offering HDR versions for those who view on flat panels or ultra-bright projectors.

For movies with HDR and UHD options, is there any space saving benefit when downloading both resolutions? Like, is it just like downloading two full size 4K movies, or would they share some data between the two files?

To expand a bit:
HDR badge: Movie is 4K, high dynamic range
UHD badge: Movie is 4K, standard dynamic range
HDR badge + UHD badge: Movie is 4K, and is available in both high dynamic range and standard dynamic range versions.

Is there any way of knowing whether I should be using HDR or SDR versions with a specific projector? I have a Sony VPL-VW590ES with a Lumagen Radiance Pro - should I look for certain specifications on the projector to determine which version to use? Thanks!

Is there any way of knowing whether I should be using HDR or SDR versions with a specific projector? I have a Sony VPL-VW590ES with a Lumagen Radiance Pro - should I look for certain specifications on the projector to determine which version to use? Thanks!
Just whether it can do HDR10 (that one can) and your preferences.

Yeah, it's pretty much based on what looks better to you. The Radiance Pro has very well-regarded tone mapping when properly set up. You could download both versions of a couple of movies and see what you think.

And.…you can download this Script that has both HDR and UHD versions of the same scenes one after the other for several movies:

John

And.…you can download this Script that has both HDR and UHD versions of the same scenes one after the other for several movies:

John
Oooh, awesome idea.

Back