• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Questions on Premier System

seaninde

1. I received my first Kaleidescape components today. A 3U server and M500 player. Got it registered and everything seems to work, all blue lights. How do I get it updated to latest software. Or what is latest? It is on 8.6.2.21846 now, last updated Dec 1st (I assume means last December).
I tried to import 2 Blu-Rays and it did not recognize either title (Halloween III & Halloween H20) The Halloween H20 came up with entirely different movie.

I entered the barcode, but it did not seem to update it.

Not sure how this works. The 2 movies are on the Movie Store, so shouldn't it recognize it?

2. In the iPhone mobile app, is the remote control only for encore systems? It does not find my Premier system for the Remote Control part of the app. The rest of the app recognizes my account and everything.

3. Movies started showing up on Home tab under recommendations, but then showed up in my Movies tab, even though I did not buy them or anything. Why are they also under the Movies tab?

Little confused on how it works.

Thanks!
Sean

Recognizing a disc vs what is in the store is a completely separate thing. You can email loan@kaleidescape.com describing the problem and they will sort it out and update your system. You may have to send them the disc if you want the 'Play Movie' option added.

The iphone app should control both types of systems. You may have to enter your system IP address to get the app to recognize it.

The Movie tab shows all the movies that have been imported (from disc) or downloaded (from the store) into your system. You can use this to edit movie metadata, add to collections, move to trash, etc.

The system will automatically apply updates. Just leave it powered on. You can't really manage this process.

Recognizing a disc vs what is in the store is a completely separate thing. You can email loan@kaleidescape.com describing the problem and they will sort it out and update your system. You may have to send them the disc if you want the 'Play Movie' option added.

The iphone app should control both types of systems. You may have to enter your system IP address to get the app to recognize it.

The Movie tab shows all the movies that have been imported (from disc) or downloaded (from the store) into your system. You can use this to edit movie metadata, add to collections, move to trash, etc.

The system will automatically apply updates. Just leave it powered on. You can't really manage this process.

Thanks,

I did try and enter IP address in the window, but it did not find it. I was using an iPad not iPhone, but thought it was same app.

Also, there were 2 movies that cam as Recommendations, but I did not download or buy them. However they showed up in the Movies tab too, not just on recommendations tab. Not sure why.

How do the D2D offers happen? (which is what I really want so I can just download the Blu Ray (HD) from the store) instead of having to have the disc.

Thanks!
Sean

D2D offers is an automatic process, as your content is cataloged any available offers will show up in your account. When logged into the Store online, the D2D (and Digital Offers) are shown under the "Manage" section.

Jim

Thanks Jim,

Another question. Does the 3U server ever go into standby mode to save power, or is it always just running at 100%.
If so what triggers it to go into standby.
I am using the Premier Setup Guide (175 pages) from 2017. Not sure if that is the latest but seems to cover everything and mentions standby but now when or how it happens.

Thanks!
Sean

I'll let Mike or John confirm, but AFAIK there is no standby mode, as found in some other K components. When it's On, it's On.

Jim

If you purchased a used system it could still have content from the previous owner that is being shown in the Recommended box and the Movies tab. Premiere servers came preloaded with some sample content which could also still be there if not deleted by a previous owner . I don't think that a 1U or 3U has a standby mode. The players can go into standby which happens when you press the power button on the front of the player or the remote control.

There is definitely no standby on Premiere servers. They are either powered on and all disks are spinning full speed or they are powered off completely. Nothing in between.

Regarding the remote on the mobile app, Apple added a new security feature to iOS in iOS 14 (I believe), which was intended to ensure that apps couldn’t go poking around your local network without your consent. The way this works is that when an app first tries to access your local network, iOS will display a dialog asking if you want to allow this. It’s the sort of dialog that is, unfortunately, very easy to just click “no” on without fully reading it or even really realizing what it’s asking. And once you’ve said “no”, iOS will never ask again. The app will simply be blocked from seeing anything on the local network. It’s also quite difficult for the app to figure out that it has been blocked.

None of this interferes with the app contacting the movie store — it’s only for the local network, which is of course what’s needed to control your player.

So, if your app is working fine to browse the movie store, but the remote tab can’t find your system even if you manually enter the IP address, go to the Settings app on the iPhone (or iPad), scroll down to the Kaleidescape app, and make sure the switch is in the “on” position for local network access.

0FB62EDB-4525-4B39-BED3-4A246EEF2C1E.jpeg

Regarding the remote on the mobile app, Apple added a new security feature to iOS in iOS 14 (I believe), which was intended to ensure that apps couldn’t go poking around your local network without your consent. The way this works is that when an app first tries to access your local network, iOS will display a dialog asking if you want to allow this. It’s the sort of dialog that is, unfortunately, very easy to just click “no” on without fully reading it or even really realizing what it’s asking. And once you’ve said “no”, iOS will never ask again. The app will simply be blocked from seeing anything on the local network. It’s also quite difficult for the app to figure out that it has been blocked.

None of this interferes with the app contacting the movie store — it’s only for the local network, which is of course what’s needed to control your player.

So, if your app is working fine to browse the movie store, but the remote tab can’t find your system even if you manually enter the IP address, go to the Settings app on the iPhone (or iPad), scroll down to the Kaleidescape app, and make sure the switch is in the “on” position for local network access.

View attachment 2257
That was it! Support helped me figure it out.
Thanks!
Sean

Back