• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Questions about video distribution...

mantonuc

Hello everyone,

So, I am just starting to get excited about jumping into the whole K-scape world. One of the things I want to be able to do most is to watch music videos throughout the house during parties. I have a question about the feasibility of this. For instance, I have somewhere around 10 TVs throughout my home. Is there any ability to "distribute" the video such that all TVs could be viewing the same video source at the same time, coming from the K-scape?

Also, how powerful is the "scripting" functionality? Ideally, I would like the ability to randomly select individual songs off the music video DVDs and play them throughout the evening to keep the guest entertained... Can this be accomplished in the K system?

Matt

Hi Matt,
With the Kaleidescape system you are not really distributing video, youre distributing data. In theory it is possible to do what you want, but the practical side of this is that you would have to have 10 players cued up to play all at the same time. If you used the web utility (or remotescape on your iphone/pad) its possible to tell one player at a time in fairly quick succession to play but they won't be synchronized down to the millisecond. I think other people have asked Kaleidescape for this kind of function so maybe they will come out with a way to tell multiple players to play the same thing all at once.

I'm also 95% sure you can accomplish what you want with scripting. I've done that with parts of movies- I dont see why you couldnt do it with music dvds. One suggestion for scripting: I find its easier to set begin and end points using a laptop and the kaleidescape java controls.

Hi Matt,

I utilize an 8x8 HDMI over cat 5 matrix to distribute to 5 locations. I installed the unit myself and can provide you more information if you like. This set up does allow for exact synchronization. I believe on blu ray concerts they are chaptered by the song. I may be wrong on this but you can always do scripting to get the songs you want. PM if you have questions about the matrix.

Best regards,

John

One of the things I want to be able to do most is to watch music videos throughout the house during parties. I have a question about the feasibility of this. For instance, I have somewhere around 10 TVs throughout my home. Is there any ability to "distribute" the video such that all TVs could be viewing the same video source at the same time, coming from the K-scape?Matt

Hi MAtt,
I posted one way to do this on this forum you can read it HERE. It's explains how I an distributing audio but it will the exact same way for video.

I use one player and distribute that player to all my displays (7+) using the Crestron DM system.

Hope that helps a bit.

Thanks guys, I will do some research on these products over the weekend... By the way, do you guys know what outputs are on the cinema one? Is it only HDMI, or are there other outputs ad well?

Matt

Thanks guys, I will do some research on these products over the weekend... By the way, do you guys know what outputs are on the cinema one? Is it only HDMI, or are there other outputs ad well?

Matt

Video outputs include:
HDMI
Component (Y, Pb, Pr) (RCA)
S-Video
Composite (RCA connector)

Audio Outputs include:

Zone 1: HDMI, Digital Coax (RCA), TosLink (Dig. Optical), Analog Stereo (RCA) (Zone 1 is both movie and music zone.)

Zones 2 and 3: Analog stereo (RCA) (Zones 2 and 3 are music zones.)

Jim

Thanks Jim. Do you know if the composite and HDMI are output simultaneously... The reason I ask is that I currently have a video distribution system in the house that could be used to feed the "lesser" TVs in all of the spare bedrooms while driving the living room display via HDMI...

Matt

Thanks Jim. Do you know if the composite and HDMI are output simultaneously... The reason I ask is that I currently have a video distribution system in the house that could be used to feed the "lesser" TVs in all of the spare bedrooms while driving the living room display via HDMI...

Matt

Yes, they are, but secondary video is affected by the primary video settings. You cannot select secondary output independently. What you get in the secondary output is affected by both, the primary output setting, and the KPLAYER model (different models give slightly different results).

(Also, the audio synchronizes with the primary output, so it may be off with a secondary output. The only way to know for sure is try it.)

I'll post again shortly on how the various model players affect the secondary video (gotta deal with a screaming baby!).

Jim

Back