• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Question on Downloads

seaninde

Hi All,
I have my 3U server up and running and will be getting a Strato soon.

I have been downloading a lot of D2D upgrades for my DVD/Blu-rays I have imported to my server.

But I have a question on 4K ones. Some of the movies are marked UHD/HD. I know the Premier can't accept UHD(4K), but if I choose the upgrade now will it download the HD version?
What happens once I get the Strato, can I download the 4K version or do I have to buy it again?

Thanks!
Sean

Yes, most (but not all) UHD/HDR content also comes with an HD version (and sometimes SD as well). You can also select which version you want to download by selecting the "Change" option in the purchase screen (assuming your equipment can handle more than one version).

When there are multiple versions available, the Store shows which versions you can download based on your components/systems. You can then select the download location and which version you want to download.

Yes, if you purchase the UHD/HDR version now, but your system currently can only download the HD version, you can download the UHD/DR version after you add a Strato to your Store account. You will already own the UHD?HDR version, so there is no additional cost.

Jim

To add a little bit to what Jim said (and looking ahead to what you might be trying to accomplish):

1. For titles that have 4K options, you can purchase the titles and cancel the HD download (knowing that you will be getting a Strato). Of course, If it is going to be a while before adding the Strato you probably want the HD version.
  2. once you added the Strato, you go to the Store—> My Movies and filter on ”UHD or better” and “Not downloaded to (your system) and this will give a list of all previously purchased 4K content not download.
John

To add a little bit to what Jim said (and looking ahead to what you might be trying to accomplish):

1. For titles that have 4K options, you can purchase the titles and cancel the HD download (knowing that you will be getting a Strato). Of course, If it is going to be a while before adding the Strato you probably want the HD version.
  2. once you added the Strato, you go to the Store—> My Movies and filter on ”UHD or better” and “Not downloaded to (your system) and this will give a list of all previously purchased 4K content not download.
John
1 - Or if you want the special features, then you'll need the HD copies.
2 - Since you will end-up in the download all button anyway, would that be faster than just going there and then using the checkboxes atop the columns to unselect everything but HDR/UHD, without the pre-filtering?

John
Wow that good to know. Yeah the Strato is on the way, but wanted to get downloads going on stuff I am importing into my Premier system.
Thanks!

Sean

Yes, most (but not all) UHD/HDR content also comes with an HD version (and sometimes SD as well). You can also select which version you want to download by selecting the "Change" option in the purchase screen (assuming your equipment can handle more than one version).

When there are multiple versions available, the Store shows which versions you can download based on your components/systems. You can then select the download location and which version you want to download.

Yes, if you purchase the UHD/HDR version now, but your system currently can only download the HD version, you can download the UHD/DR version after you add a Strato to your Store account. You will already own the UHD?HDR version, so there is no additional cost.

Jim
I am assuming if I download the UHD version now and it currently loads the HD version until the Strato comes, that when I re-download the UHD when I get the Strato, I would have 2 on the system now? Then I would just delete one? Or does it upgrade the one I have and just show one copy on the Movie Screen.
Thanks!
Sean

The UHD version will only download if you have a Strato in your system (obviously a Terra stores UHD as well, but it still needs a Strato). If you don't have a Strato (meaning your current system is Premiere only), you can "purchase" the title but will only be able to download the HD or SD (if available) version until you add a Strato to your Store account. The point is, you will not have to delete a copy because it will not download until you add a Strato (or Terra and Strato-C).

Jim

When I have the Strato and Premier system connected together, will all content play through the Strato player and upscale?
Thanks
Sean

When using the Co-Star to gain access to both systems on-screen simultaneously, the Strato controls the on-screen guide, BUT, it is not the Player used to playback Premiere content, the connected Premiere player is the playback device. The Strato plays back any content stored in your Strato/Terra system, and the M300/M500/M700 connected to the #2 Input on the Co-Star plays back the Premiere content.

Jim

When using the Co-Star to gain access to both systems on-screen simultaneously, the Strato controls the on-screen guide, BUT, it is not the Player used to playback Premiere content, the connected Premiere player is the playback device. The Strato plays back any content stored in your Strato/Terra system, and the M300/M500/M700 connected to the #2 Input on the Co-Star plays back the Premiere content.

Jim
Ok thanks, that is what I thought it was going to do. Wishful thinking, haha.
Thanks!
Sean

Back