• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Question on Disc to Digital

Hello! I've tried searching for the answer to this question but was unable to find it. I sometimes buy movies from Redbox when they go on sale for $3.99 or less. I'd love to be able to import them into Kaleidescape later on via Disc to Digital but wanted to verify if Redbox movies would work or not? Thanks!

Hello! I've tried searching for the answer to this question but was unable to find it. I sometimes buy movies from Redbox when they go on sale for $3.99 or less. I'd love to be able to import them into Kaleidescape later on via Disc to Digital but wanted to verify if Redbox movies would work or not? Thanks!
Why not catalog one of those discs and try?

I should have mentioned I don't actually have a system yet :) Working with dealer to get one shortly but planning out how I quickly get my DVD / Blu-Ray collection cutover including a decent # of discs I bought from Redbox. Guess I'll wait and give it a shot! Thanks

I’d expect the discs to be read (assuming they are not horribly scratched), but if they are an alternate version made special for Redbox, there is potential that some discs will not be recognized (and thus would not get a digital offer).

Now, if you run into this, you can ask K to try and update the Movie Guide remotely, but this will not always work (due to the many ways different studios author discs). In some cases you may need to send the disc to K for proper recognition and bookmarking (which does cost a fee).

Assuming a disc is not recognized initially and K is able to later add it to the Movie Guide (whether done remote or in office at K), a disc to digital offer should then appear.

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d expect the discs to be read (assuming they are not horribly scratched), but if they are an alternate version made special for Redbox, there is potential that some discs will not be recognized (and thus would not get a digital offer).
Even if it is recognized, for-rental discs have conventionally had a more complicated route anyway, to prevent someone from hitting-up their local Blockbuster to go D2D shopping.

Even if it is recognized, for-rental discs have conventionally had a more complicated route anyway, to prevent someone from hitting-up their local Blockbuster to go D2D shopping.
Haha. Not sure Blockbuster exists except for that one remaining store in Bend, Oregon. And many local rental stores no longer exists in many cities. Someone could hit up their local library and borrow some movies. I tried some Redbox rentals and they work. But haven’t tried one of the RedBox discs made specially for them.

Lovefilm - not sure if that was an old UK only setup - but their old rental discs work, they seem to be the exact same disc as retail just with effectively a “Lovefilm rental only” stuck on the disc.

Haha. Not sure Blockbuster exists except for that one remaining store in Bend, Oregon. And many local rental stores no longer exists in many cities. Someone could hit up their local library and borrow some movies. I tried some Redbox rentals and they work. But haven’t tried one of the RedBox discs made specially for them.
As mentioned in another thread, using discs that you don't own for disc-to-digital is not permitted under the Kaleidescape Service & License Agreement (appendix A):

Kaleidescape may offer upgrades to higher quality for eligible DVDs and Blu-ray discs. Such offers are only available for titles that have been legitimately purchased and are presently owned by you. Kaleidescape reserves the right to periodically re-verify possession of discs used to qualify for such offers. Kaleidescape reserves the right to withhold these offers, or to limit or cancel your access to the title if we reasonably believe such title does not meet, or no longer meets, the requirements set forth in this paragraph. The audio and video content embodied in a DVD or Blu-ray disc may differ from the audio and video content of the digital Licensed Content on the Kaleidescape Services.

@MikeKobb Out of interest, I own all my discs, including ex-rental, like I describe above, I presume this is NOT in breach (Namely referring to ones that were bought as “ex-rental”)

When Blockbuster shutdown most locations people were able to purchase the inventory. Some were imprinted with a code identifying them as rentals, and K's software prevented those from being imported (discussing Premiere system here). At one time owners could send the discs to K to verify ownership. Anyone that legally owns the physical disc, regardless of the discs history, has the right to catalog it. They just need to be sure it's in compliance with SLA.

The point of Mike's comment is just to remind people that you must actually own the physical disc in order to import it, or catalog it for use in a D2D purchase.

Jim

Cool, thanks Jim. Just wanted to check my ex rental discs weren’t in violation :)

Hi Mike
At first I didn’t understand what Vodder meant about ex-rentals. Does he mean discs purchased from rental places like from Redbox? Because I purchased quite a few. Not many. Just about two dozen of them so far now that they started offering overstock movies for sale at $3.99.
In these cases for ex-rentals, would verifying a purchase mean showing your receipt or taking a picture of your disc? I wouldn’t have a copy of the Blu-ray packaging in these cases. I also do not want to be in violation. If it is a violation to catalogue ex-rentals, I can stop. I’ve only tested it on two movies which I previously purchased at the kiosk awhile back.
Or maybe it’s just best to not even catalog ex-rentals at all. It’s only less than a percent of the physical media I own.
Regardless, I do appreciate K for offering this D2D program to begin with. I certainly do not want a few bad eggs to have the studios take that away from us. Or maybe they will permit linking K with the VUDU vault as a way to verify purchase.

I created a Redbox account and then went to a local supermarket where they have a Redbox Kiosk. The website told me which movies were for sale in that kiosk, so that made it easy.

The kiosk itself will actually tell you that the discs are used discs. They still have the markings on them. I tried cataloging the discs I got in my Alto, and that worked fine. For $3.99 plus tax for a BD movie, that's a pretty good ROI if the movie goes down from $34.99 to $4.92 like some do, but I had bad luck and the movies I picked went from $24.99 to $20.09. Most of the time, discounts are better, but sometimes it's almost nothing, like in this case. One of the movies was $14.99 and went down to $4.92 though.

But to answer OP's question, yes, you can catalogue movies you purchased from Redbox, and get D2D offers.

Hi Mike
At first I didn’t understand what Vodder meant about ex-rentals. Does he mean discs purchased from rental places like from Redbox? Because I purchased quite a few. Not many. Just about two dozen of them so far now that they started offering overstock movies for sale at $3.99.
Yes, this is totally fine. And no worries about not having the packaging— plenty of people discard the packaging from regular retail discs. It would probably not be a terrible idea to keep the receipts but in practice, I think what really matters is just having the discs.

What would not be appropriate would be to rent a disc, use it for disc to digital, and then return it.

What about getting rid of discs after the D2D process? Do we need to keep them? I only have a couple dozen but I’d love to not have them here anymore either. Big part of why I bought the Kaleidescape system in the first place was no longer wanting to have to store discs.

What about getting rid of discs after the D2D process? Do we need to keep them? I only have a couple dozen but I’d love to not have them here anymore either. Big part of why I bought the Kaleidescape system in the first place was no longer wanting to have to store discs.

You need to be the legal owner of the discs at the time you catalog (K's requirement), and at the time you execute the actual purchase of a D2D offer (K and the studios requirement), that's because the studio's offer to allow you to buy at the discounted price is conditioned upon you being the legal owner, and in possession of the physical disc at the time you make the purchase. This requirement is part of the contract terms between the studios and the vendors of their content, and by extension you, the person taking advantage of their offer.

Jim

Back