• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Question from Kaleidescape: What's your Internet speed?

When monitoring the speeds was it during the day? My next question would be; what else is on the network/site? I constantly get emails about download speeds and then find that there are people streaming (netflix, itunes etc.) on site, control systems (crestron, control4) constantly calling home, smart home appliances constantly calling home, mobile phones on wifi using bandwidth without people realising, the list is endless. However, chances are, if you checked the download speed at 2am you'd find it was probably faster.

The easy solution is to limit traffic to all other items during Kaleidescape downloads, maybe installing something like a domotz would help.

Plenty of spare bandwidth when k is downloading, even if it's the only item online, still the same.

Plenty of spare bandwidth when k is downloading, even if it's the only item online, still the same.
Sounds like ISP may be throttling. Thank you net neutrality. I think K recommends a business connection if possible. Perhaps then we'd get guaranteed speeds.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

My ISP definitely throttles downloads & profiles traffic as I get a guaranteed speed up / down for the overall service. Current download is in progress at 14.5Mbs on a 300Mbs up & 300Mbs down fibre service to premises where as earlier today downloads were at my normal average of 25Mbs.

It must be ISP related then as we have never had an issue both at the office and at home.

Tried on Plusnet and virgin media, both Top packages with supposedly unmanaged traffic. If it is ISP, it’s the only thing their throttling.

Also a dedicated 100mb fibre lease line in the office. 1 to 1 and no management.

Devon must have a slow connection to the US :)

Time of day doesn’t make any difference, can queue a selection which will take 24hrs to complete and they all say completed with a speed of 57-59mbps.

Edit: just checked 2 downloads from a couple days ago, they finished up at 77 and 69. Getting faster!

Rather frustrated here in Virginia...

Have XFinity Gigabit Internet and a network that supports Gigabit. Routinely get 980-990 Mb/s via speedtest.net on the same network segment my Strato is plugged in to.

The Strato consistently downloads at between 48 Mb/s and 49 Mb/s.

I'm not sure what it is, but something between my router and K's servers is throttling me.

Any Xfinity users have similar experiences?

Odd it used to be 49 with Strato and since i added the terra it's now 83.

How come no one ever mentioned this online?

Not complaining though.:)

I am interested in hearing from people who have business gigabit accounts with guaranteed download speeds. My ISP is upgrading its service this summer and I will have an opportunity to choose between a guaranteed 300Mbps media grade residential service (an improvement on my current guaranteed 100Mbps service) or a gigabit business account.

I have a Strato C/Terra configuration. I am currently limiting my maximum download speed from the Kaleidescape store to 80Mbps, and I see from my history that I am consistently getting 79.xMbps.

My question is whether I can expect to see an improvement in my movie download times if I go for the gigabit service vs the 300Mbps service. I would love nothing more than to be able to download a movie in minutes instead of 1-2 hours.

..I would love nothing more than to be able to download a movie in minutes instead of 1-2 hours.

Lucky you. I'd like to be able to download a movie in a few days. The thought of downloading a movie in a few hours is just mind-boggling. In a few minutes is science fiction to me.

I would love nothing more than to be able to download a movie in minutes instead of 1-2 hours.

We're getting there. The HDR version of Annihilation (~67.3 GB) downloaded for me in 48 minutes (186.9 Mbps). The UHD version of Black Panther (~71 GB) took 42 mins (224.4 Mbps).

Last edited:
We're getting there. The HDR version of Annihilation (~67.3 GB) downloaded for me in 48 minutes (186.9 Gbps). The UHD version of Black Panther (~71 GB) took 42 mins (224.4 Gbps).

I think you mean Mbps....

Unless your this team :)

Oxford Researchers Achieve 224 Gbps Connection Using Light: LiFi Will Let You Download 1.5GB Movie In A Blink

I think you mean Mbps....

Unless your this team :)

Oxford Researchers Achieve 224 Gbps Connection Using Light: LiFi Will Let You Download 1.5GB Movie In A Blink

You're right. Got a little over-excited with my abbreviations there. Fixed.

So much more happens to govern the download speed than pure bandwidth. 30 MB’s is my average despite a 300 / 400 MB’s contracted business service. Perhaps the hosting service / relays here in Europe need to improve to match what seems to be available in the US

We're getting there. The HDR version of Annihilation (~67.3 GB) downloaded for me in 48 minutes (186.9 Mbps). The UHD version of Black Panther (~71 GB) took 42 mins (224.4 Mbps).

Just got my internet speed upgraded to 300Mbps. It has only been a couple of days, but I seem to be topping out at around 160Mbps for movie downloads from the store (I have set my maximum download speed to 250Mbps).

According to Kaleidescape support, the limiting factor becomes the processor in the Kaleidescape component and then writing the data to the hard drive. I am using a Terra server with kOS 10.3.1, which has implemented some software improvements to speed up downloads. Apparently Strato is limited by the player-class chip, but Terra has a more powerful CPU and has more opportunity to speed up.

I am curious where others are topping out, but what I am seeing so far confirms that I should not expect to see any improvement in movie download times by upgrading to a 500Mbps or gigabit “business-dential” commercial grade internet service offered by my ISP.

I did, however, just come across this on my ISP’s web site:

Direct Peering
Get the media you want straight from the source. Our Media-Grade Internet lets you Direct Peer
with just about everyone from Netflix to Google to Amazon.

It’s like an information expressway straight to your doorstep.
Which means you get those sites better and faster than everyone else. Say goodbye to buffering!

Anybody know if this could be a possibility with the Kaleidescape Store?

Back