• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Question from Kaleidescape: What's your Internet speed?

Curious, what are owners seeing as the fastest download speed from the Store to Strato?

I have ATT Fiber with 1g up/down but I'm getting the same 100Mbps for both the Premier and Strato. Strato is set to unlimited. I was hoping to see faster Strato download speeds.

Curious, what are owners seeing as the fastest download speed from the Store to Strato?

I have ATT Fiber with 1g up/down but I'm getting the same 100Mbps for both the Premier and Strato. Strato is set to unlimited. I was hoping to see faster Strato download speeds.
Average download is 60Mbps
968b78523cbadd4da1ff6984409c3e86.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

My Premiere system downloads have hovered around 70, +/- about 3, since the beginning of September. Of course they are capped at 100, but I'm not getting there, and Speedtest on my connection is consistently around 220 down.

I have two downloads this October to my Alto, which is set to 200, and they averaged about 72. I just now changed it to unlimited, but based on my history, I don't expect it to make a difference.

My Strato/Terra combo average 130 - 145 MBps. I have the download speed set to 150. The Premier system maxes out around 85 - 90. These speeds have been quite stable over at least the last six months. I have 150 Mbps service.

Wayne

Last edited:
My Strato/Terra combo average 130 - 145 MBps. I have the download speed set to 150. The Premier system maxes out around 85 - 90. These speeds have been quite stable over at least the last six months. I have 150 Mbps service.

Wayne
That sounds awesome. Who is your service provider?

Wayne

I have fiber optic with 150Mbps speed and get right at 100 with both my 3U and Strato. I had heard that the Terra allows for a higher speed and playing from the Terra server does not affect the download speed. Looks like you are confirming that the Terra is getting high speeds. Can you watch a movie from the Terra and not affect the DL speed?

John

My service provider is Shaw Cable, in BC, Canada. I almost always download overnight, say 11:00pm to 7:00am. I have not tried playing something on the Strato and downloading at the same time. I am away right now, but when I return I will see if I can try it out as a test.

Wayne

I also expect the number of 'network hops', physical distance and ISP throttling in the chain between the Kaleidescape data centre and your Kaleidescape system at home plays a large part in the speed obtained.

Despite having 300/300 fibre to the house and 60/60 fibre to my other property (both in different countries in Europe) download speed for movies is always between 25 & 35Mbs

On multiple connections, 100mb, 80mb and 350mb we've not seen any more than 58-60mb download speed.

One of them being a leased line.

When monitoring the speeds was it during the day? My next question would be; what else is on the network/site? I constantly get emails about download speeds and then find that there are people streaming (netflix, itunes etc.) on site, control systems (crestron, control4) constantly calling home, smart home appliances constantly calling home, mobile phones on wifi using bandwidth without people realising, the list is endless. However, chances are, if you checked the download speed at 2am you'd find it was probably faster.

The easy solution is to limit traffic to all other items during Kaleidescape downloads, maybe installing something like a domotz would help.

When monitoring the speeds was it during the day? My next question would be; what else is on the network/site? I constantly get emails about download speeds and then find that there are people streaming (netflix, itunes etc.) on site, control systems (crestron, control4) constantly calling home, smart home appliances constantly calling home, mobile phones on wifi using bandwidth without people realising, the list is endless. However, chances are, if you checked the download speed at 2am you'd find it was probably faster.

The easy solution is to limit traffic to all other items during Kaleidescape downloads, maybe installing something like a domotz would help.
Limiting traffic has not made a difference for me. I'm diligent and use Google WiFi app to monitor and limit traffic. I've got 1gig from Verizon FiOS and never see more than 60mbps down. The same was the case when I had 150/150 and 300/300 service.

Limiting traffic has not made a difference for me. I'm diligent and use Google WiFi app to monitor and limit traffic. I've got 1gig from Verizon FiOS and never see more than 60mbps down. The same was the case when I had 150/150 and 300/300 service.

Forgive me but I do not know of the Google WiFi app, does it allow you to see usage of all items including wired?

Back