• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Question from Kaleidescape: What's your Internet speed?

MikeKobb

◥ ◣ Kaleidescape, Inc.
Hello all,

Just wanted to take a quick, informal poll. We're interested in knowing what your current Internet speeds are (download and upload).

Is there faster service available to you, or are you maxed out?

Do you have any monthly data caps?

Thanks!

Mike Kobb
Director, User Experience
Kaleidescape, Inc.

I am in Santa Clara. My download 150MBPS and upload 20MBPS.

I think we have a 250MBPS service. I have not opted for the same.

Cheers

In Dallas (Southlake) TX, I am fiber at 300mbps Upload and 300mbps download. 500mbps is now available as well. Not sure I need that fast. Verizon Fios. No Throttle here.

30 Mb/s down, 2 Mb/s up. That is the fastest available. No caps as far as I know, but the performance is not very reliable.

90/12 with Comcast. No caps.

Actually thinking about dropping back to 30/5 or 60/5 on an Internet only package with WOW. No caps with them.

I currently have 75/75. I have 500/500 available.

I have no monthly caps currently.

John

I currently have Download of 62.81 and upload of 4.32 which is the fastest in our area, at this moment in time!

I have a 25Mbs connection that can burst to 50Mbs (symmetrical up and down). I *think* I could upgrade it to a Gigabit connection if I wanted to, but I'm not really sure what the max is. Doesn't matter as at this point the 25/50 costs me $1400/month, so that's gotta be good enough.

I actually had 10/20 initially and it was $2600/month on a THREE YEAR CONTRACT. The funny thing is ATT came to me not even half way through the contract and said "hey, you wanna upgrade? If so, we'll do 25/50 for $1400/month."

The only reason I can think of they did that was because Google Fiber is coming to "Chapel Hill", the town my address has. But we're so far from town that WE will not be getting GF, I'm sure. But they didn't know that, so we took them up on their offer.

I have zero bargaining power here because I actually paid them to put the fiber in JUST for me. Before that I had two bonded T1's (after overhead I netted 2.4Mbs both ways) and I think that cost me something on the order of $600/month. It was also completely unreliable and hardware had to be replaced every time there was lightning ANYWHERE NEAR. That was at least a couple times per quarter.

K servers can generally fill my 25Mbs pipe if I leave it unregulated. Thank you very much for making a throttling setup that actually works, as well as giving us the ability to order our downloads how we want. That's VERY nice and very much appreciated.

--Donnie

I have 3 systems - my one in Clovis CA is on xfinity and is rated at 100mbps but maybe it is faster now. I have been getting 90+ mbps downloads. I am out of the country and cannot do speed tests on that system for a while.

My office is in Selma, CA and is about 1mbps down and up and that is the fastest I can get in that location.

My Porterville location is about 4-5mbps down and I don't know the upload speed. Can't test that here either but it is fairly constrained on throughput.

When I have done replications, it seems like the servers are limited in sustained write speeds of about 100mbps. Maybe I am reading into the question, but are you looking at upping the store bandwidth for 4k and will the Terra Server be able to write faster than the Premier line?

Up here in Richmond Hill, Ontario I have around 200Mbps down and 20Mbps up.
There are no caps with my current service.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, here in Perth 0.2Mbps up (on a good day).

Getting upper-20s down and nearly 6-up on 25/5. Whether I have any [enforced] caps probably depends on how long it's been since Comcast was last sued... looks like the 250G cap is not operational (and neither is the usage meter.)

I thought I had faster but I have 101/35 and I routinely see speeds a little higher than that on the download side and upload tends to hang around 35 but both can fluctuate depending on time of day. Its the fastest we have available in my area currently, though if FiOS comes to town we could see as fast as 500/500. My experience is the 100mpbs is not my bottleneck, rather its email servers, web hosts etc... I think the fastest K Store DL I've seen is in the low 90s and the typical is probably something in the upper 60s. I should add there are no limits (I'm aware of!!) on my data usage.

Last edited:
I am currently at 75Mbps symmetrical, but will likely upgrade to 100Mbps when my contract comes up in the spring. Service up to 300Mbps is available, but it is just too expensive to go over 100.

Musselburgh (near Edinburgh),Scotland
40 Down (Upgradable to 75)
10 Up
Unlimited Service

ATT Uverse
Gigabit Speed.
Internet price incl 1TB of data/mo. $10 per add'l 50GB.

Back