• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Question for Some Owners

cinelife

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
I've been asked to gather info regarding the time it takes to switch sources when using the following components. (If you have these components and can time the switching, it would be very helpful.)

Sony 5000ES Projector
Lumagen Pro (any model, but 4242, and 4442 primarily)
Trinnov Altitude audio processor
Strato

Optional components
Co-Star Switch
Premiere Player
UHD Player

1. Cable info: Make, length, any extenders/signal boosters if used

2. When you first power "On" the projector, does Strato display immediately, if not, how long to see OSD?

3. When you select a UHD movie, how many seconds before image is displayed? Does audio play before video?

4. If you stop a movie playing from Strato, how long before the OSD appears in this chain: Strato>Co-Star>Lumi Pro>Altitude>Sony 5000?

5. What are the switching times when you switch from watching a BR movie on Premiere to a UHD/HDR movie, and the reverse, when changing from a UHD/HDR to BR movie. Question assumes you have a Co-Star.

6. Lastly, if you are not using the Lumagen, and are using the Trinnov Altitude as your switch, what switching times are you seeing under the circumstances indicated in the above questions.

Any other performance comments you would like to pass on....

Thanks guys, I'll be collecting this info over the next 2 weeks, and will close the thread when complete.

Jim

If it makes it easier, you can shortcut the answers and just describe what timing delays you experience when switching between different content (i.e. HDR to BR, and BR to HDR) when using the Strato/Co-Star/Lumagen/Sony 5000. We're asking because several owners have mentioned to me they are seeing very long switching times when using the above components, in excess of 20 seconds in some cases. I've been asked to gather data.

Thanks,

Jim

It may or may not be relevant, but what control system is being used? Have you gone through the programming? The delays could lie within the macros.

Absolutely correct, but no one has replied to the request at this point, so I have no way of knowing if the control system is a factor, but to your point, the owners may not know either so your comment could be helpful. I'm gathering comments to determine if one specific component, or multiple components, is/are responsible for some of the long switching delays reported by many owners of the system described above.

Jim

Absolutely correct, but no one has replied to the request at this point, so I have no way of knowing if the control system is a factor, but to your point, the owners may not know either so your comment could be helpful. I'm gathering comments to determine if one specific component, or multiple components, is/are responsible for some of the long switching delays reported by many owners of the system described above.

Jim

Jim,

I own all of the above and I will revert sometime this week.

Kostas

I've been asked to gather info regarding the time it takes to switch sources when using the following components. (If you have these components and can time the switching, it would be very helpful.)

Sony 5000ES Projector
Strato

Optional components
Co-Star Switch
Premiere Player
UHD Player

2. When you first power "On" the projector, does Strato display immediately, if not, how long to see OSD?

3. When you select a UHD movie, how many seconds before image is displayed? Does audio play before video?

4. If you stop a movie playing from Strato, how long before the OSD appears in this chain: Strato>Co-Star>Lumi Pro>Altitude>Sony 5000?

5. What are the switching times when you switch from watching a BR movie on Premiere to a UHD/HDR movie, and the reverse, when changing from a UHD/HDR to BR movie. Question assumes you have a Co-Star.

6. Lastly, if you are not using the Lumagen, and are using the Trinnov Altitude as your switch, what switching times are you seeing under the circumstances indicated in the above questions.

Thanks guys, I'll be collecting this info over the next 2 weeks, and will close the thread when complete.

Jim

Hi Jim,

I don’t have a Trinnov Altitude audio processor but thought I would take same measurements for comparison.

Set-up:
Projector Sony VPL-VW5000ES
Video Processor: Lumagen Pro 4446 (use Lumagen for source switching and send audio from Pro to Audio Processor.
Cable from Pro to VW5000: RuiPro fiber cable – 20 meters
Alternate cable: Monoprice SlimRun AV fiber cable – 50 feet (not used for the measurements below but I have used with no issues)
Audio Processor: McIntosh MX160
Sources:
Strato paired to Co-star and M300 player (connected to 3U server)
M700 connected to 3U server
DirecTV C61K 4K Client
DirecTV HR21
Oppo Digital 203 UHD player

I fired up my trusty stopwatch timer app and below are the times that I get.

Times when switching between inputs (all time in seconds):
HR21 to Strato: 2.3
HR21 to M700: 2.7
HR21 to C61K: 9.3
M700 to Strato: 2.4
M700 to HR21: 2.6
M700 to C61K: 8.2
Strato to M700: 2.4
Strato to HR21: 2.7
Strato to C61K: 7.8
Strato to Oppo: 5.7

Times to video and audio:
Strato HD movie: Audio: 9.6 Video: 5.4 Total: 15.0
Strato HDR movie: Audio: 10.9 Video: 5.2 Total: 16.1
Strato scene HDR: Audio: 10.6 Video: 6.1 Total: 16.7

M700 HD Movie: Video: 6.0 Audio: 2.0 Total: 8.0

Power on Projector until OSD of Strato: 28.0
Stop watching HDR movie until OSD of Starto: 13.1

Note: On Starto, audio always comes first and then video.
On 3U, video always comes first and then audio.
Note 2: On Lumagen Pro, I use the “Menu 0874” which the description says “0874 - Set output as 4k50/4k59.94, 18 GHz max, based on input rate, with rate match off” and should reduce switching times.

Let me know if you have any questions or if there is any other data you would like me to take.

John

Last edited:
Thanks John, that's a lot of work, and very helpful!

The only two systems I've looked it appear to have similar numbers, plus/minus a couple of seconds. I'll wait to see what Kostas has as well, and there are a couple of others that are responding by email. All of them own, at a minimum, the Lumi Pro, Strato, Co-Star, Premiere and Sony 5000, a couple also have the Altitude.

I appreciate the help!

Jim

Sony 5000ES Projector
Strato

Optional components
Co-Star Switch
Premiere Player
UHD Player

Jim

Hi Jim,

Projector Sony VPL-VW5000ES (4.506 firmware)

Video Processor: Lumagen Pro 4449 (Beta 021018)
1(18Ghz): Oppo 205
2(18Ghz): Strato C paired to Co-star and M700 player(connected to 3U Server)
3(9Ghz): Swisscom TV UHD (IP TV)
4(9Ghz): Roku Utra
5(9Ghz): PS4
6(9Ghz): Xbox X
7: empty
8: empty

Output 1: Audio only -> Trinnov Input 3 for Audio pass-through.
Output 2(18Ghz): Video only to VW5000(Input 2) using RuiPro fiber cable – 15mt/50ft

Audio Processor: Trinnov Altitude 32(with the upgraded HDMI board)
1: SKY HD(satellite receiver)
2: M300 connected to 3U server(mostly used as music player)
3: Lumagen for Audio past-through
4: OTE TV(satellite receiver)
5: Apple TV 4K
6: Empty
7: Empty

Output 1: Empty
Output 2: Video to VW5000(Input 1) using Monoprice SlimRun fiber cable – 15mt/50ft

Below are the switching times. I left outside the game consoles.

Times when switching between Lumagen inputs (all time in seconds):

Oppo to Strato: 16.9
Oppo to Swisscom TV: 1.4
Oppo to Roku: 10.1
Strato to Oppo: 6.6
Strato to Swisscom TV: 1.2
Strato to Roku: 9.2
Swisscom TV to Oppo: 1.9
Swisscom TV to Strato:7.3
Swisscom TV to Roku: 10
Roku to Oppo: 13.3
Roku to Strato: 9.6
Roku to Swisscom TV: 10.1

Times when switching between Trinnov inputs:
Sky to M300: 7.7
Sky to OTE: 10
Sky to Apple TV(HDR Mode): 14.3
M300 to SKY: 9.8
M300 to OTE: 10.2
M300 to Apple TV(HDR Mode): 14.4
OTE to M300: 7.6
OTE to SKY: 9.9
OTE to Apple TV(HDR Mode): 14.1
Apple TV to M300: 10.4
Apple TV to OTE: 12.4
Apple TV to SKY: 11.4
Time when switching between M300(Trinnov) and Strato(Lumagen-Co-Star)-OSD: 23.1

Time to video using Co-Star:
Strato C HD movie: 14.4(movie stored in Premiere) – 16.9(movie stored in Encore)
Strato C HDR movie: 23.6
Strato C scene HDR: 22.12
I hear audio 4-6” before seeing the video.

Switch from watching a BR movie on Premiere to a UHD/HDR movie:22.1
When changing from a UHD/HDR to BR movie:19.8

Time to video: M300 connected to Trinnov - HD Movie: 10.6

Power on Projector until OSD of Strato (everything on but the projector): 38
Power on Projector until OSD of Strato (everything off): 46.2 but sometimes close to 1’
Stop watching HDR movie until OSD of Strato: 16.7
Stop watching HD movie stored in Premiere until OSD of Strato: 16.3
Stop watching HD movie stored in Encore until OSD of Strato: 15.9

Let me know if you have any questions or if there is any other data that you would like to have.

Kostas

Last edited:
We will need to start a thread like this when the samsung the wall comes out.:D Thus Far going by their existing lcd wall system pretty quick.

https://youtu.be/4y_toBqagfA?t=58

Here is my client mr. blofeld's opinion.

https://youtu.be/9cW-D5Mj2ZU

DUyK8nVX0AAkzE5.jpg

But getting back to the topic of the 5000, At Hyperion in Istanbul we solved every hdmi issue fed from trinnov using Metra/ethereal high end copper cables with their hdmi extender.FWIW;)

Last edited:
Thanks K! Very helpful as well. These times are very consistent with those reported by several others outside of this forum. Still trying to determine if these extended video delays are the fault of a particular component, a combination of components, or HDMI/HDCP related. If we figure this out, I'll post our findings.

Jim

Lumagen has just published a new firmware for the Radiance Pro.

http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?module=radiancepro_updates

Two things concerning us:

1) HDMI Format: Reduce Max. When enabled the blanking time is reduced by ~5% so the original picture is not being resized and if the display accepts non-standard timings this can be a solution in some cases where the video connection is unreliable or slow to get picture.

To my understanding and following information received from my Lumagen dealer few weeks ago this should improve switching times. I will try it over the weekend.

2) I/O Setup: Kaleidescape for a Strato/Co-Star switching setup in order to automatically switch to the active device (also requires buying the "Co-Star for Lumagen" feature. Contact Kaleidescape for details). To use the Pro's Strato/Co-Star switching solution the Strato needs to be on an 18Ghz input and the Co-Star must on an input card different from the Strato.

If I understand well there won't be a need to buy a physical Co-Star device but it will be a add-on software solution sold by K? As I already have a Co-Star I don't see any added value, my system and Co-Star work perfectly well today and I only use one Lumagen input whereas if I use this new option I would need two inputs on my Pro.

Jim G has asked Lumagen to clarify and I am sure that he will let us know as soon as he hears back

Kostas

From Lumagen:

Jim:

For the "Co-Star for Lumagen" you need the Strato, a compatible "Co-Star player," the Radiance Pro (with at least four inputs of which the one used for the Strato needs to be 18 GHz), and the Kaleidescape update and license for the "Co-Star for Lumagen" feature from Kaleidescape. The two "Co-Star for Lumagen" sources to the Pro need to be on different input cards (two inputs per card). No external switcher is needed. The "Co-Star for Lumagen" switching is working well in the few early Beta systems we know about.

Kaleidescape charges a fee for the "Co-Star for Lumagen" switching feature. Lumagen is offering a $500 retail discount for new Radiance Pro sales when the customer purchases the "Co-Star for Lumagen" feature from Kaleidescape (USA and Canada). People interested in purchasing a Radiance Pro can contact Lumagen, or their dealer. A discount might be possible elsewhere but that would be up to the local distributor.

Jim

Lumagen has just published a new firmware for the Radiance Pro.

http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?module=radiancepro_updates

Two things concerning us:

1) HDMI Format: Reduce Max. When enabled the blanking time is reduced by ~5% so the original picture is not being resized and if the display accepts non-standard timings this can be a solution in some cases where the video connection is unreliable or slow to get picture.

To my understanding and following information received from my Lumagen dealer few weeks ago this should improve switching times. I will try it over the weekend.

Kostas

According to Lumagen, this specifically fixed a couple of instances of problems with Sony VW5000 projectors in conjunction with a Lumagen Pro. I looking forward to checking this out too.

John

The price for this "software" update that allows for the Lumagen Pro to be used to switch K content sources, thereby replacing the current physical Co-Star Switch Kit, has not yet been determined. I should have an update on this later today.

Jim

If I go with the option of using the Lumagen to switch instead of the Co-star, would this mean I no longer need a separate M-Class player in order to play music and scripts from my 3U server?

John

If I go with the option of using the Lumagen to switch instead of the Co-star, would this mean I no longer need a separate M-Class player in order to play music and scripts from my 3U server?

John

I believe you still need a separate M-Class player to have music. The software is the same experience for both Co-Star and Lumagen; just different hardware doing the switching between Strato and M-Class players.

I believe you still need a separate M-Class player to have music. The software is the same experience for both Co-Star and Lumagen; just different hardware doing the switching between Strato and M-Class players.

I confirm.

Back