• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

question around Disney Opt-in for Premiere system and out of print discs

nsxboy

I have a dilemma that I'm trying to get guidance on regarding the Disney Opt in. Our family has a substantial number of legacy collection of disney DVDs and Blu Rays that are not available on the Kaleidescape store (and are out of print). Many of them are on the Titles affected by opting in to Disney downloads list and many are not.

I currently have a premiere system and most recently just added a stratos player and a 6tb Terra server. I just took advantage of the recent sale on the Marvel package and bought all of the films. I've downloaded the 4k version of all the films to the Terra, and would like to have the option of being able to download the HD versions to an opt-ed in Premiere server if possible.

I'd like to keep my existing permiere system non-opt-in since I would like to be able to reimport my discs in the future. I have a second server that I was wondering if I can opt-in separately and use specifically for my disney films downloads.

Can 2 premiere servers with different opt-ins priviliges be on the same network and both be accessible by existing players on the network?

Thanks so much as I know this is definitely an edge case and an odd question. :)

I have a Terra server and a grandfathered in Premiere server. They are CoStar’ed together. When I purchase a Disney title, it automatically downloads to the Terra server. I can still import Disney discs to the Premiere server. So I think if your Premiere servers are separate systems, you can have one opted in while keeping the other opted out.

Thanks Substance. My intention though is to be able to access the purchased disney titles via the store and have it accessible via my m500 players that I have across the house. I only have 1 Strato player and it's currently for my home theater (about to be costarred with a M300). With only 6tb available of storage, my intention is to keep it 100% for 4k titles and have the ability to store the HD (blu ray quality) ones on a premiere system.

The only way you can access a Disney downloaded title (Store bought) on a Premier system is if that system has "opted-in" to the Disney conditional license. This applies to both SD and HD titles. Obviously you can only play content on an M500 that is stored on your Premiere server(s) (excludes connected Vault) and if you have not "opted-in" at the Store, that Disney content will be limited to imported disc-based content.

Jim

Thanks Jim. So to make sure I understand. The opt-in is at the store and account level, not on the individual premiere server level where I can dictate which premiere server is opt-ed in and opt-ed out.

There's no way to run in parity an opt-ed in and an opt-ed out 3U in the same system and retain both functinoalities right?

Mike

The opt-in is at the system level. So if you have two Premiere servers in a system, they are both bound by the opt-in. To be sure that I understand, you said that the reason you want to not opt-in the Premiere server is so that you can import your discs again in the future. Under what circumstances would you do that?

Thanks Mike. I currently have many disney films in DVD format that are now out of print like:
Star Wars Episode 4,5,6 Theatrical unaltered, Pete's Dragon (1977), The Gnome-Mobile (1967), Tonka (1958), Treasure Island (1950), Treasure of Matecumbe (1976), songs of the south (non-region) to name a few.

These are likely not commercialy popular enough to have digital availability anytime soon. Given that if I opt-in in my existing system, I'd lose the ability to re-ingest these in the case of a disc failure moving forward.

My hope is that I can run 2 premiere systems at home (separate servers and separate systems, hopefully accessible by the same players on the network), one system opt-ed in, and one system not opt-ed in. So I can retain the discs in the non-opt system and opt in for usage on the opt-in system.

Let me know if that edge case makes sense and possible with the premiere systems.

Thanks so much!

MIke

No, that won't work. Players are also part of the system. So the players in the house would need to be on one system or the other. You could move players from system to system via the browser interface, but that would be a pain in the butt.

One of the purposes of the RAID in the Premiere servers is to insulate you against disk drive failures. You mentioned 3U servers -- they have a parity drive and a hot spare. You're very well insulated against a disk failure.

I have a Terra server and a grandfathered in Premiere server. They are CoStar’ed together. When I purchase a Disney title, it automatically downloads to the Terra server. I can still import Disney discs to the Premiere server. So I think if your Premiere servers are separate systems, you can have one opted in while keeping the other opted out.
I'm about to add a Terra to a Premiere system. So...if I register these as "separate" systems, I can still see a combined movie UI via co-star, and transparent integration, without opting-in the Premiere...and get Disney downloads from the store to the Terra?

I'm about to add a Terra to a Premiere system. So...if I register these as "separate" systems, I can still see a combined movie UI via co-star, and transparent integration, without opting-in the Premiere...and get Disney downloads from the store to the Terra?
I'm assuming that you are also buying a Strato C to go with that Terra since the Terra can't be used with Premiere players and a Terra by itself is just storage.

If you don't opt in your Premiere system for Disney downloads then any of that content will download to your Encore system. For zones where you have a Strato/M-Class Co-star pair, you will see all content from both your Encore and Premiere systems. But for any zones that are only served by a Premiere player, you will only have access to content on the Premiere server and in any zones that are only served by a Strato you will only see content that is on the Encore servers.

I'm assuming that you are also buying a Strato C to go with that Terra since the Terra can't be used with Premiere players and a Terra by itself is just storage.
Yes, indeed. :)
If you don't opt in your Premiere system for Disney downloads then any of that content will download to your Encore system. For zones where you have a Strato/M-Class Co-star pair, you will see all content from both your Encore and Premiere systems. But for any zones that are only served by a Premiere player, you will only have access to content on the Premiere server and in any zones that are only served by a Strato you will only see content that is on the Encore servers.
Great - that's what I was hoping. Appreciate the reply.

Also, if you Have CD’s or scripts on your Premiere system you want to play you will need an un-paired M-series player to access.

John

Back