• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Projector & Strato Set Up

House72

Hello All

I have a JVC NX7 connected to AV 8805 feeding Strato. When ever I select a scene to play (HDR or not), there is a black screen for like almost 30 seconds before it shows me the content. Audio starts to play from the start. Is there any thing I am doing wrong from settings perspective.

This never happened with Epson 9700UB.

Cheers

Raj

It’s likely the change going from 4K60 to 4K24 and potentially even your HDMI cables. Although I have a Sony laser now, my older JVC was really slow at this but thought this was vastly improved with newer models like yours. If you are fine with 4K60 for everything then change the Strato to minimize display changes via the GUI web setup. There are people with Lumagen Pros who even display the Strato movie cover screen at 4K24 to keep syncing faster even though the animations are not smooth. SJ

Thanks. I experience this even with Apple TV. I just tried that. I will try and see if that helps at least from Strato.

I dont think they are cables. I am using Rupiro cables as recommended by K.

Cheers

Raj

Hey Raj. I have an NX7 fed by an 8802A. My source is a cinema 1 but the AppleTV 4K also does what you describe. I do think it has to do w a resolution change. I also notice the NX7 goes into high lamp mode. The projector fans become noticeably louder. though not loud enough to distract while watching a movie.

Hey Raj. I have an NX7 fed by an 8802A. My source is a cinema 1 but the AppleTV 4K also does what you describe. I do think it has to do w a resolution change. I also notice the NX7 goes into high lamp mode. The projector fans become noticeably louder. though not loud enough to distract while watching a movie.

I am hoping some one here has a fix. Mine doesn't go in to high lamp mode though.

Sounds like you are talking about the digital 'handshake' from one format to another. This happens with some TV signals but more obvious on a projector. Unfortunately, there is typically no way to prevent it (trust me, I have tried, even contacting my projector company Sony).

Sounds like you are talking about the digital 'handshake' from one format to another. This happens with some TV signals but more obvious on a projector. Unfortunately, there is typically no way to prevent it (trust me, I have tried, even contacting my projector company Sony).

Thanks. This is sad. My OCD will make me unhappy knowing this. I at least now know not in the boat alone.

Cheers

Interesting, I’m about to have a Sony 4K laser projector installed with my 8805 and Strato as well. I wonder if I should plan to keep this dedicated to the Kscape for movies only if it’s going to cause issues switching inputs on the Marantz?

Raj do u have 2 displays connected to the 8805? One on each HDMI out? If so, have you tried selecting HDMI MONITOR 1 OR HDMI MONITOR 2 instead of AUTO (Dual) which is the default?

It is my understanding that the costar will slow things down like your experiencing. I noticed a difference once I eliminated the costar from my system.

Raj do u have 2 displays connected to the 8805? One on each HDMI out? If so, have you tried selecting HDMI MONITOR 1 OR HDMI MONITOR 2 instead of AUTO (Dual) which is the default?

I only have one out connected to projector, but left the setting in default. Once I am back in the US will give this a try. Thanks again.

Cheers

Raj

Hey, Raj!
I have a similar setup (Marantz AV8805, JVC NX7, Sony 65-inch LED, Strato w/Co-Star). I am using a 50-foot FIBBR cable to the PJ. There is definitely some slowness on the PJ side when changing formats or resolutions, say from 4k60 SDR (the Strato GUI) to 4K24 HDR (movies). I'd say it is maybe 5-8 seconds of black screen, but definitely the audio starts before the video. Not a big deal in watching a movie, but def would be an issue with a scene. Once the NX7 is locked onto that new resolution, I can jump from scene to scene (in the same movie) at normal speed, but I think this is definitely a JVC thing. And, yes, when the PJ sees an HDR signal, it automatically goes into HDR mode which includes High Lamp Mode.

I don't have any video issues with the Strato when using the Dual (Auto) HDMI out mode on the 8805, but when I'm watching 4K movies on my Samsung UHD BD player, it won't sent 4K resolution in Dual (Auto) mode---I have to set it to just output 2 (the PJ). Fortunately, I have a Control4 system, so this is a simple programming fix that is seamless to the viewer.

Happy to answer any other questions about this setup...
John

Hey, Raj!
I have a similar setup (Marantz AV8805, JVC NX7, Sony 65-inch LED, Strato w/Co-Star). I am using a 50-foot FIBBR cable to the PJ. There is definitely some slowness on the PJ side when changing formats or resolutions, say from 4k60 SDR (the Strato GUI) to 4K24 HDR (movies). I'd say it is maybe 5-8 seconds of black screen, but definitely the audio starts before the video. Not a big deal in watching a movie, but def would be an issue with a scene. Once the NX7 is locked onto that new resolution, I can jump from scene to scene (in the same movie) at normal speed, but I think this is definitely a JVC thing. And, yes, when the PJ sees an HDR signal, it automatically goes into HDR mode which includes High Lamp Mode.

I don't have any video issues with the Strato when using the Dual (Auto) HDMI out mode on the 8805, but when I'm watching 4K movies on my Samsung UHD BD player, it won't sent 4K resolution in Dual (Auto) mode---I have to set it to just output 2 (the PJ). Fortunately, I have a Control4 system, so this is a simple programming fix that is seamless to the viewer.

Happy to answer any other questions about this setup...
John

Thanks John. I used 15M fiber optic Ruprio cable recommended by K. When I get back to bay will see how much time it actually takes using a stop clock. I am a impatient guy and may be adding seconds to this. I can add this to my Roomie Remote if it becomes an issue while playing any 4K disc from Sony UHD BD Player. Thanks again for all the good points.

FYI, anyone that owns a new JVC projector, they just released the new HDR Frame Adaptive firmware that was demo'd at CEDIA. This should be a game changer for HDR watching (for those of us that don't own a Lumagen!). Here's the link:
https://www3.jvckenwood.com/english...a-n6_dla-rs3000_dla-rs2000_dla-rs1000/dl.html

This actually made me buy NX7 and not Sony. I have not done the update yet. I am in Mexico City for now. Next week, I will update and try to run the autocal.

Cheers

Raj

I just ran the JVC firmware update - went smoothly. I am another with a similar setup - Kaleidescape Strato > Marantz AV8805 > JVC NX9.

Most people have been recommending changing the JVC HDR Level from Auto (default) to Medium or High.

Totally jealous about the NX9! I just couldn’t spend twice as much, but I really wanted that better lens! That produces fantastic images! I’m gonna do the fw update tomorrow and Lion King on Strato will be our first go!

Back