• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

NEWS: Price Increase Coming July 1st.

cinelife

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
The MSRP on all major components of both the Encore line and the Premiere line is increasing in price effective July 1, 2019. If you are getting close to making a purchase, now is the time to do it, just a little under two weeks before the increases go into effect.

JIM

The MSRP on all major components of both the Encore line and the Premiere line is increasing in price effective July 1, 2019. If you are getting close to making a purchase, now is the time to do it, just a little under two weeks before the increases go into effect.

JIM

Does this include replacement drives for Premiere servers?

John

No doesn't include drives, only the major components.

Jim

Is there any chance we could have an updated price list with the new MSRP for all available components? The only list that I could find on the forum is from 2015.

I guess the train has long since left the station of the hope for K to ever become mass market. Obviously it could never be at the scale of a Roku or Apple TV but I just don't understand this strategy. The future of K at this point has to be the store. You'd think they'd want a much larger customer base to get that going.

For $200 you can get an Xbox One that plays 4K Blu-ray discs, streams in 4K, has support for other apps. Oh and plays games :) Plus it supports Movies Anywhere.

I mean I get it, I guess at this point their strategy is resigned to people that are filthy rich and don't care what their home theater costs or what the components even are. They just want it to look good and simply work without a hitch. I bet half the people (maybe more) who own a K system don't even know that they own one.

I guess the train has long since left the station of the hope for K to ever become mass market. Obviously it could never be at the scale of a Roku or Apple TV but I just don't understand this strategy. The future of K at this point has to be the store. You'd think they'd want a much larger customer base to get that going.

For $200 you can get an Xbox One that plays 4K Blu-ray discs, streams in 4K, has support for other apps. Oh and plays games :) Plus it supports Movies Anywhere.

I mean I get it, I guess at this point their strategy is resigned to people that are filthy rich and don't care what their home theater costs or what the components even are. They just want it to look good and simply work without a hitch. I bet half the people (maybe more) who own a K system don't even know that they own one.

I don't think they could ever generate enough from the store alone to make a profit. Roku sells ad's on their home screen, heck even Vudu offers free programing with ads, consoles like XBOX make a fortune on each game sold in royalties, etc.

K used to only make money off hardware before the K, the store is just kind of gravy but their cost went up too when they implemented the store.

To my knowledge K doesn't sell ad's, sell user data, or anything else a lot of other players do.

Don't get me wrong I would love to see them lower their prices to "closer" to mainstream but they would have to increase production drastically to get scales of economy and / or find other revenue streams in addition to current ones.

I expect $1k increase or so across the board, depending. Look at how much just the Co Star went up, let alone all the other stuff in back in April.

I’m thinking it’s going up much more then $1000. Especially the terra servers.
I don't think they could ever generate enough from the store alone to make a profit. Roku sells ad's on their home screen, heck even Vudu offers free programing with ads, consoles like XBOX make a fortune on each game sold in royalties, etc.

K used to only make money off hardware before the K, the store is just kind of gravy but their cost went up too when they implemented the store.

To my knowledge K doesn't sell ad's, sell user data, or anything else a lot of other players do.

Don't get me wrong I would love to see them lower their prices to "closer" to mainstream but they would have to increase production drastically to get scales of economy and / or find other revenue streams in addition to current ones.

I expect $1k increase or so across the board, depending. Look at how much just the Co Star went up, let alone all the other stuff in back in April.

I think in order for K to become more profitable with the store, they need to change the purchase model when they implement MA. Seems they are setting this up as all movies customers have post UV shutdown are now marked as owned in the store. So, when they implement MA the ONLY way to get a new purchase to download to your system is by purchasing from the K store. That would also get you the digital ownership via MA. A person would not be able to purchase from another MA source and then downloading from the store. Not sure if the MA model can work this way, but we will see...

I think in order for K to become more profitable with the store, they need to change the purchase model when they implement MA. Seems they are setting this up as all movies customers have post UV shutdown are now marked as owned in the store. So, when they implement MA the ONLY way to get a new purchase to download to your system is by purchasing from the K store. That would also get you the digital ownership via MA. A person would not be able to purchase from another MA source and then downloading from the store. Not sure if the MA model can work this way, but we will see...

Not sure if it works that way or not. But if that is the way it goes I not be happy. If that is the intention then there is no point in have done UA or potentially doing MA. Might as well make it a closed box at that point and not be involved with any of the other services. It “might” be.more profitable close it off or make it one way only with only purchases from k being valid but it’s also a double edged sword and could hurt you as well. That said I’ve always wondered how Vudu stays in business if too many customers buy cheaper on FandangoNow or Bluray and just watch on Vudu. Perhaps one of the reasons that so many other UV retailers left over the last few years.

As long as they give existing and future clients a window of few days to import our current MA collection, I am more than fine with this. Have no intention personally to use MA retailers for cheaper purchases.

As long as they give existing and future clients a window of few days to import our current MA collection, I am more than fine with this. Have no intention personally to use MA retailers for cheaper purchases.

I’m not concerned about saving a few bucks but a I am concerned about multiple tens of thousand dollars of Movies I have thatvthe majority of which are digital only. If K was to go to a closed system and then go out of business I have to buy nearly $50,000 in movies all over again. K almost went under before, maybe a couple times. Likewise correct me if I’m wrong but the K disc units don’t handle 4K UHD Discs so it’s not like you can just keep your collection on discs. Not to mention the disc units are more expensive than a Terra per movie.

Yep, for a 20% increase it’s overdue to get MA and other features online.

I don’t think movies converting to owned by K from UV indicates any need for special arrangement for MA. The same thing happened at all store fronts connected to UV. For losing the UV rights, you kept a store right at all linked fronts. I also still content that K is not special. They don’t demand nor should they be granted special terms around porting or honoring rights.

Actually, I’d almost think that raising prices now is a good sign that maybe MA is coming with open support. They are further securing a revenue model ahead of new digital rights? One can hope...

First, my apology for removing the MSRP page post by another member, it may be put back up later but I had a request to not put it on the forum until everything was finalized, which is why I did not include it in the original post.

The price increase is not directly related to financial strategy, other than recognizing increasing component and manufacturing costs affecting the bottom line. K did not want to raise prices, the decision was necessary because of increased costs overseas, some driven by the recent tariff increases.

Jim

Regarding MA, I'll say it again, K has no control over the timing of MA, there's a lot that goes into these contracts, and K was likely not a priority for MA, so difficult to say if/when MA will be available. While I understand the desire to get MA, I think the posts by some members expressing disappointment with Kaleidescape for not already being a part of MA is a little unfair. K has not sold a single system, nor opened any Store account, using MA as a selling point.
It is we owners that created the expectation that MA would replace UV for our K systems, but that did not take into account that MA controls who they give access to and when that access is given. Until K makes an official announcement, we can continue to speculate.....

Jim

Last edited:
Regarding MA, I'll say it again, K has no control over the timing of MA, there's a lot that goes into these contracts, and K was likely not a priority for MA, so difficult to say if/when MA will be available. Until K makes an official announcement, we can continue to speculate.......

Jim

Yes, and that makes total sense. MA has pretty well covered the main digital media players though by now, and should be in position to work with a smaller unit like K.

For that matter, news from MA itself has been pretty quiet for a while now since adding Comcast. They are due for some action. And they still need to get focused on bringing Paramount and Lionsgate into the fold.

I expect to see a lot of movement as UV formally dies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I agree, if things are going to move forward, should be soon....we'll see!

Jim

Back