• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

NEWS: Premiere products end-of-sale approaching soon, Support not impacted except discontinued products

I understand why K is discontinuing their premiere line. I don't understand why they are not supporting music any longer. This makes me wonder when they will stop the DVD import.
I built my house in 2007 in a remote area. At the time I did not have Internet access then slow very slow access so that is why I purchased the premiere line. I could import all my dvds and cds and box them up and store them away. It is great. I have over 1,700 albums on my server and just as many movies. This music sounds better than streamed music. For them to discontinue support for music import really disappoints me. I can listen to any song at the touch of a button in any room in my house.

After spending a lot of money on all of this equipment it saddens me that we do not have the support, I feel we deserve.

Music import will still work, just no updates will be made to the database that recognizes CDs. Overall not a lot will change for Premiere system owners for now. The main difference is that if something in your system breaks down, you will not be able to buy new components or repair kits for OOW components from Kaleidescape . Although replacement hard drives will still be available for the 1U/3U.

I understand why K is discontinuing their premiere line. I don't understand why they are not supporting music any longer. This makes me wonder when they will stop the DVD import.
I built my house in 2007 in a remote area. At the time I did not have Internet access then slow very slow access so that is why I purchased the premiere line. I could import all my dvds and cds and box them up and store them away. It is great. I have over 1,700 albums on my server and just as many movies. This music sounds better than streamed music. For them to discontinue support for music import really disappoints me. I can listen to any song at the touch of a button in any room in my house.

After spending a lot of money on all of this equipment it saddens me that we do not have the support, I feel we deserve.

Well, at least some good news is possibly coming within the next year or two. StarLink as an ISP is basically catering to folks just like you, and should be fairly quick. So there might be hope literally on the horizon.

CD data hasn't been updated for quite some time now in my experience. I can't remember the last time I entered a barcode and K found it before I got round to uploading track/artist/artwork etc. myself.

What I have always done is added the barcode anyway in the hope that K might give this functionality to us. Perhaps if they allowed us to opt-in or out via a p2p system that can upload data from other users would help everyone with this?
I don't mind imputing the data myself and would be happy to share my K data with other users.

What I would have appreciated is the ability to add double CD's, DVD/Blu-ray boxsets etc. to a single artwork cover before they call time on this?

I most likely will upgrade, but there is so much I have on two 3U's that will never be available on the K store; not to mention how many hours I've spent updating the information. I am hoping the Co-Star will still be functional to carry this forward for use with both systems and not also be phased out?

If it wasn't for the Premiere system, I wonder how many would be happy with just what's available on the K store? I know this alone would not interest me, and it wouldn't be something I'd consider as a standalone system yet, perhaps with the Premier system and Co-Star, it makes some sense as an upgrade.

Others may take a different view, but in my opinion, the Premier system is what made K so brilliant and while I appreciate times move on and as a company, they must too; I do hope they realise how important the Premier system still is (to myself and no doubt to many other users too).

CD data hasn't been updated for quite some time now in my experience. I can't remember the last time I entered a barcode and K found it before I got round to uploading track/artist/artwork etc. myself.

What I have always done is added the barcode anyway in the hope that K might give this functionality to us. Perhaps if they allowed us to opt-in or out via a p2p system that can upload data from other users would help everyone with this?
I don't mind imputing the data myself and would be happy to share my K data with other users.

What I would have appreciated is the ability to add double CD's, DVD/Blu-ray boxsets etc. to a single artwork cover before they call time on this?

I most likely will upgrade, but there is so much I have on two 3U's that will never be available on the K store; not to mention how many hours I've spent updating the information. I am hoping the Co-Star will still be functional to carry this forward for use with both systems and not also be phased out?

If it wasn't for the Premiere system, I wonder how many would be happy with just what's available on the K store? I know this alone would not interest me, and it wouldn't be something I'd consider as a standalone system yet, perhaps with the Premier system and Co-Star, it makes some sense as an upgrade.

Others may take a different view, but in my opinion, the Premier system is what made K so brilliant and while I appreciate times move on and as a company, they must too; I do hope they realise how important the Premier system still is (to myself and no doubt to many other users too).
I agree 100% I just worry about something going out in a year or two and then my whole system will be uselesss.

I agree 100% I just worry about something going out in a year or two and then my whole system will be uselesss.
I think they are still covering repairs/replacements for hard drives for the moment and I was told a few days ago by my K dealer the name of the specific hard drives they use and that are available and they would be able to replace it even if it's not available from K directly, so all is not lost if the worst happens with the hard disks in this respect.
I can't remember the exact name of the hard disk drives they use (perhaps someone else here would know?) but they will certainly always be replaceable with or without the help of K.

I think they are still covering repairs/replacements for hard drives for the moment and I was told a few days ago by my K dealer the name of the specific hard drives they use and that are available and they would be able to replace it even if it's not available from K directly, so all is not lost if the worst happens with the hard disks in this respect.
I can't remember the exact name of the hard disk drives they use (perhaps someone else here would know?) but they will certainly always be replaceable with or without the help of K.
That is good to know. I wasn't as worried about the hard drives as I am about Power supplies and other electronics that could go out in the future.

That is good to know. I wasn't as worried about the hard drives as I am about Power supplies and other electronics that could go out in the future.
Very true, aside from hard drives there are no doubt other components that could go wrong but I imagine/hope they would all still be replaceable?

It would be a huge loss to my entertainment system if my K Premier data ever became unusable.

When I bought into K, my belief was that it was a way of future-proofing everything. I do still believe in this, but I get the feeling it might end up a few years down the line, being down to the users to ensure this rather than K.
Without wanting to be negative, unfortunately, it seems to be going this way.
On the positive side, my K dealer said there's no real panic as far as this goes yet.

Agree with all your sentiments regarding the Premiere system and your fear about not being able to find replacement parts should something go wrong. However the advice from your dealer re. hard drives is incorrect. Only drives certified and customised by Kaleidescape will work. Off the shelf drives will not work. You'll find many related threads on here for more information. However K have said that replacement drives should be available for a long time to come, so this shouldn't be a concern for a while anyway. Power supplies etc are a different matter!

Agree with all your sentiments regarding the Premiere system and your fear about not being able to find replacement parts should something go wrong. However the advice from your dealer re. hard drives is incorrect. Only drives certified and customised by Kaleidescape will work. Off the shelf drives will not work. You'll find many related threads on here for more information. However K have said that replacement drives should be available for a long time to come, so this shouldn't be a concern for a while anyway. Power supplies etc are a different matter!
I will ask him again and this time, I will pay more attention to the in's and outs of what they said. I will also ask if there is a workaround they know of for this as I did feel reassured that they could keep everything working with or without K.
I'm certainly no expert when it comes to this kind of thing but they defiantly gave me the impression they could keep everything up and running. I will question them further on this...

Very true, aside from hard drives there are no doubt other components that could go wrong but I imagine/hope they would all still be replaceable?

It would be a huge loss to my entertainment system if my K Premier data ever became unusable.

When I bought into K, my belief was that it was a way of future-proofing everything. I do still believe in this, but I get the feeling it might end up a few years down the line, being down to the users to ensure this rather than K.
Without wanting to be negative, unfortunately, it seems to be going this way.
On the positive side, my K dealer said there's no real panic as far as this goes yet.
I totally agree...

This is my exact experience with CD recognition as well. But I don't think it is all K's fault. The ultimate source is AllMusic.com and they seemed to have mostly given up on adding new releases to their site. For example, last year's Once Upon A Time In Hollywood soundtrack is still not shown there and that seems like one that Mr Stephen Thomas Erlewine would have liked to review.

I agree that the ability for the end user to group multiple discs under one cover is something we really need as the database goes dormant. I have a few multi-disc albums (such as the White album from the Beatles Box set) that even though they are recognized do not show properly under one cover.

If the ability to share user entered music data via p2p is too much, perhaps the ability to backup the database like what is done for scenes and scripts could be implemented? With that we could share those files here.

This is my exact experience with CD recognition as well. But I don't think it is all K's fault. The ultimate source is AllMusic.com and they seemed to have mostly given up on adding new releases to their site. For example, last year's Once Upon A Time In Hollywood soundtrack is still not shown there and that seems like one that Mr Stephen Thomas Erlewine would have liked to review.

I agree that the ability for the end user to group multiple discs under one cover is something we really need as the database goes dormant. I have a few multi-disc albums (such as the White album from the Beatles Box set) that even though they are recognized do not show properly under one cover.

If the ability to share user-entered music data via p2p is too much, perhaps the ability to back up the database like what is done for scenes and scripts could be implemented? With that, we could share those files here.

It most likely isn't all K's fault that CD's haven't been updated.

On the face of it, it seems this could be easily solved by a p2p website or similar that reads other users data (just the information, not the actual content obviously). If implemented, we could then see what others have on their system based on the barcode for that title and perhaps even have a choice of who's information to apply to your own. If it's not there or you prefer your own, we can then add the information in the usual way ourselves

This, coupled with the ability to add multiple discs to a single title would certainly take the sting out of the Premier line withdrawal.

If I understand it right. The way the music works today for imports is going away...But we will have the ability to enter the tracks and cover art on our own. (Which we all do now on anything current.) But my question is will the Kaleidescape Music Conductor still update my I tunes or is that going away as well? That would be brutal I love that the K copies over my playlists over into my i tunes.

Thoughts????

As a Mac user, I've never had the chance to use this function but was planning on buying a cheap Windows PC eventually for this very reason. It's something I'd like to know too.

Wow, I got a message on our Strato about this today (have Alto/DV700 as well with costar). Hope people got contacted from their dealers. Never seen a message like this pop up. SJ

Wow, I got a message on our Strato about this today (have Alto/DV700 as well with costar). Hope people got contacted from their dealers. Never seen a message like this pop up. SJ
1593145397948.jpeg
I presume that you mean this message? Me neither; so much so that I felt compelled to take a picture of it.

Attachments

• 1593145309007.jpeg
    1593145309007.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 11
That’s the one! Assume that many customers that are not members of this forum. I don’t believe I ever received a previous message as a normal customer. SJ

Back