• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

NEWS: Premiere products end-of-sale approaching soon, Support not impacted except discontinued products

My idea, and that's all it is at this point, is to allow owners that want to upgrade but don't want to lose family/personal videos, to send there family discs to K to have them integrated into their personal store account content. This is not permitted for commercial content, but I don't see a reason why this couldn't be done for personal content (unless there's a technical reason it can't be done). I realize this could also also be a manpower issue, but I don't think timing would be an issue for most owners, as long as they know it will be added (sort of like we did with the disc "Loan" program). I have no idea what obstacles are involved, but I have someone looking into the possibility, and it would certainly help owners that don't want to lose that content. What do you guys think?

Jim

Not sure this type of service fits their model. Seems one off to me. They also might not want to be responsible for that content. SJ

I don't think it affects their model, and yes, with my idea it would be a "one off" in the sense that you only get to do this once, at the time you upgrade from Premiere to Strato/Terra, and only as a way to address the issue of personal content transfer concerns. No content would be lost because the owner would only be sending a copy of the content, stored on disc, to have it added to their store account. The discs would then be returned to owner. Again, probably isn't possible, but I'm still asking the question because I've had several friends indicate they would not be upgrading until there is a way to include family content, so that made me wonder how many others out there are like-minded in that regard.

This would NOT be an ongoing service, just a temporary measure to help those that want to upgrade.

It also might be a technical limitation that prevents this service, not sure until the engineers are asked this coming week.

Jim

What about the next movie they have? At some point they should just move to a different and integrated process for home content including movies and pictures. It would be the same for people with music collections. There are many options out there... Just my .02c. :) SJ

Good point, that would be fine. It may also be that this isn't a major issue anyway, probably not as many Home Movie owners out there with any concern, based on comments to this point. And that would be fine as well

Jim

Here is a copy of the latest notice to dealers, arrived this morning:

Dear Kaleidescape Dealer,​
When Kaleidescape introduced our first Premiere products in 2003, the response was amazing. Within a few years, Kaleidescape could be found in luxury homes and superyachts all over the world, and Kaleidescape became known as the finest way to enjoy movies. In those days, CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray discs were the only source of content for Kaleidescape systems. That changed in 2013 when Kaleidescape launched the first Internet-delivered Blu-ray quality movies. Two years later, Kaleidescape began delivering 4K Ultra HD films via the Internet, and we introduced our flagship Strato line of products for playing such high-fidelity content.​
As customer preferences for shiny discs gave way to Internet-delivered content, consumer demand for products that play discs declined, resulting in a scarcity of certain parts required to manufacture our Premiere products. For this reason, we have decided to discontinue the production and sale of our Premiere products, which include the 1U+ Movie Server, the M500 and M300 Players, and the M700 and DV700 Disc Vaults.​
The last day to order Premiere products will be July 31, 2020. However, supply is limited, and we may run out before July 31.​
If you have a customer who needs a Premiere system, or if you need spare components to support existing Premiere customers, please order them by July 31, 2020.​
Repair and replacement support for in-warranty Premiere products will continue as before, and we will continue to make business-reasonable efforts to support out-of-warranty products, depending on parts availability. Disk cartridges for the 1U, 3U, and 1U+ Servers will continue to be available. A limited number of service kits for Premiere products are available on a first-come, first-served basis.​
There will be no updates to music CD recognition after June 30, 2020. Previously recognized CDs will continue to be recognized, and playback will remain unchanged.​
More information will follow.​
Kaleidescape remains focused on delivering the finest home theater cinematic experience. We look forward to continuing to work together with you in the future.​
Sincerely,​
The Kaleidescape Team

Jim

@cinelife

Something doesn't seem right with CD recognition ending so soon. Since I recently purchased a server I would expect CD recognition would be provided for at least the warranty period. Anything we can do to get CD support continued for a few more years?

Why have CD features listed on their spec sheet if they wont even be supporting it for the warranty period?

I take "There will be no updates to music CD recognition" to mean that the database will be frozen as is. So if the CD is in the database when it is frozen, it should be recognized with all the same metadata, album art & artist photos when imported after the freeze as it is when imported today. Hopefully that is the case but some clairification would be helpful. Currently the music CD database does not have information for many newer releases as it stands now, so this really isn't a huge loss going forward.

UK distributor Pulse announcement is here: https://essentialinstall.com/news/p...-premiere-system-components-will-cease-sales/

I thought this bit stood out as good to know. Maybe already stated above but this did make me feel at ease regarding my 1U and 1U+

“Kaleidescape will continue to offer the KDISK-6000-L-S Disk Cartridge for the 1U, 1U+, and 3U Movie Servers to replace failed disk drives without losing any content.”

Regarding CD support, the contract with the entity that supports that capability is ending. (Also, this service has experienced a significant drop-off in use over the last few years, not many CD's being imported these days.

Yes, it was made clear that K will continue to offer replacement 6TB drives going forward.

Jim

Regarding CD support, the contract with the entity that supports that capability is ending. (Also, this service has experienced a significant drop-off in use over the last few years, not many CD's being imported these days.

Yes, it was made clear that K will continue to offer replacement 6TB drives going forward.

Jim
Thanks Jim. Is the 30TB 1U+ still available until end of June and if so will the 10TB drives continue to be available as well as the 6TB? Or is the 18TB 1U+, with the 6TB drives, the “safest” upgrade option for future support?

I believe, but have not specifically asked, that the 10TB drives will also remain available, I believe these are the same drives used in the 40TB Terra server.

Jim

Regarding CD support, the contract with the entity that supports that capability is ending.

But does that mean if you import a CD on July 1st, it will not be recognized (assuming it is one that would have been recognized prior)?

To be clear, the ending of CD import support ONLY affects "new" CD's that are not already in the database. If you import a CD already in the database, then nothing changes, it will import as usual, and will have cover art/metadata. You can still import new CD's, but if not in existing database, you will have to manually add all the details and your own cover art, just as we currently do when a disc is unrecognized.

Hope that answers the questions,

Jim

Confirmed, K will also continue selling the 10TB drive being used in the 1U+ (these 10TB drives only work in the 1U+, they do not work in the 1U, 3U, or Terra Server. (The 10TB in the Terra is a different drive.)

Jim

Hopefully they will provide the tools needed for the end user to continue to support their Premiere servers... I for one would like to see:

1. A drive formatting/initializing tool.
2. A tool (or disk image) of a blank system so the end user can re-load KOS onto a new disk pair.
3. A tool that would allow the export of the Disk Images so they may be backed up. Shouldn't be a legal issue since the images stored on the server still contain the DRM and are bit for bit copies as I understand.
4. Possibly a VM image of a Premiere Server that could be run in VMWare ESXi so we could virtualize our Premiere systems.

The decision kind-of dumps on their international customers in markets where the K-store is not available and probably will never be available.

I apologize... the survey wasn't well designed. I've fixed it. If you previously did the survey, can I ask you to do it one more time on this revised version? THANK YOU. (The link to the survey in the original post has been corrected to go to the revised survey as well.)

Last edited:
Just got the email this morning. Not really having a K dealer, I didn't even know about the 1U+ or the recent changes. I've got some researching to do.

Back