• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Premiere no longer shown on K's website

Thanks, Cheena and Jim for helping to clarify the current status of the Premiere line. I have been slowly working on converting as much of my rather large collection from DVD and Blu-ray imports to Store downloads as my budget allows. Even if I do use all the digital offers and disc to digital options available to me I am still left with about 3000 titles not available in the Store. While I am a huge fan of the Store and the quality of the downloads available there, I cannot see giving up my Premiere system in the foreseeable future. I am glad to hear there are still some upgrade paths available to me as I have been waiting to upgrade my long out of warranty 1U and 3U servers to 1U+ servers ever since Rusty identified some incipient issues with one of my servers last year. I will soon be ready to take that step.

I do love my Encore based system and will continue to build and expand that part of my Kaleidescape system. Although I don't buy nearly as many shiny discs as I used to, I am not ready to give them up just yet, and the Premiere part of my system is still invaluable to me.

Hope CEDIA is a smash success next week and can't wait to hear any exciting announcements that may be forthcoming.

Wayne

<snip>
I think Kaleidescape would truly benefit from a little bit more tending to the fan base. It wouldn't take much to really keep users fired up and focused on the positive. Without that the "negative nellies" tend to create an echo chamber that I fear can potentially influence future purchasers.

Same with the website - more frequent news items would be extremely useful and helpful. I am happy to provide a couple of examples. There have been a lot of small features that collectively add up to big difference in the overall user experience.

<snip>

Thank you for the reminder and the constructive feedback. Please send your feedback to feedback-ceo@kaleidescape.com. We will review each thought and figure out a way to put as many of those feedback to action.

We'll also find a simple way to thank you for the care you show to our beautiful brand.

We sincerely thank you for your support.

Cheena,

After Kaleidescape stops support for the premiere line, would there be any objection from K with me open sourcing a tool that reinitializes disks? Keeping in mind that it would only work for the Premiere line and isn’t compatible with Strato/Encore etc.

Thanks.

2. We have painstakingly procured adequate supply to support our installed base customers whose systems are in-warranty. We also anticipated demand from installed base customers when we announced an end-of-sale on Premiere products. Lastly, we are prepared to serve our marine and overseas customers who may have a compelling need for Premiere products. This is why we continue to offer these products on our price list. Contact your Kaleidescape dealer if you wish to purchase these products.
3. We have spoken with several customers and dealers and sought their direction in how to handle the transition from legacy products over time. Our plan is to rollout a gradual end-of-sale on Premiere products. Removing Premiere products from our website is step one: this stops seeding the market with more new Premiere installations.
4. Demand for Premiere add-on products, replacement or upgrade, and repair for the installed base systems doesn’t necessitate such products to be promoted on our website. Kaleidescape authorized dealers can order these products from our Dealer Extranet.
5. We aren’t perfect, but our actions have shown that we deeply care in assisting our installed base customers to transition to Strato systems over time. Co-Star is a great solution to bridge the two systems for a single integrated experience.
6. There will be no further innovation in Premiere systems other than basic hardware support because Kaleidescape needs to focus on doing a few things well. We encourage our dealers and customers to take advantage of several upgrade programs to migrate or co-exist with our newest products.
7. During the next 12 months, we will provide sufficient notices about Premiere products so you can adequately stock and prepare for transition to Strato as per your interest and convenience.
8. Kaleidescape made the pivot from shiny discs to electronic delivery. We encourage all customers to experience the Strato and feel the difference in how the movies we prepare and deliver contribute to an uncompromised home cinema experience.

I hope this helps.

Cheena
It took longer than I initially expected to get a current lay of the land, so sorry for the delay in response. My main problem is that like Wayne, Mark, and a number of others who replied, we are domestically-inclined-non-maritime users that the store is simply insufficient for servicing our needs. Even utilizing the most remarkably generous count imaginable, the store only covered about 30% of my collection (as measured before the holiday season.) I don't mind the talk of stemming new Premiere installations, but being expected to stock-up on a lifetime supply by next summer is unrealistic. Even "no innovations" isn't the end of the world, particularly if it doesn't entirely preclude resolving issues that have been aggravating users for years or tacking-on the ability to self-manage the areas K is withdrawing from.
As the systems are entirely proprietary if they fail in the not too distant future you will have a very expensive brick in your rack with nowhere to go and your video library lost. Yes the store is very good (Encore solution) but there are 1000's of titles not available in the store that I have on my system which would potentially be lost.

IT solutions give you a migration path for your data..... there is no such migration path to port your library to Kaleidescape's newer technology unless I have missed something.

The real concern to me and perhaps many others when they rationalise their thinking is how will I port my library to current technology to protect my investment.
This is ultimately what it comes down to. Giving up on the music-side because there are many strong[er] solutions, and fairly accessible means to change paths lowers the sting (not that I don't feel for the handful of users likely out there with music collections as large as our video collections.) But I haven't seen where anybody has surpassed (or even equaled) K in the video storage & distribution field, so why completely throw in the towel? My hope is even once you turn-out the lights, that there is still a much stronger level of support than is currently being suggested for the Premiere line. Whether it includes a storehouse stacked floor to ceiling with drives, a program to send a drive with X-specs and a check for $ to get it blessed, or opening up the support stream to trusted dealers, the goal should be some way to maintain the black box environments we have invested so heavily in establishing.

I'm late to this discussion but I have a question.
Would there be any possibility for a 3rd party maintenance provider taking over from K on the Premiere line?
If a person could get the proper training and licensing from K, a person could probably indefinitely sustain a Premiere system if the parts were available. I feel certain there would be a demand for such services. To include the Marine, Aviation and Home user.
Just a thought.

Already considered.

Jim

Sorry, not trying to be evasive here, but cannot comment at the moment.

Jim

As this phase-out plan has been rolling out, has any information on when Premier software will reach end of support been published; meaning no additional upgrades? e.g. Is kOS 8.5.1.xxxxx it?

K has stated that they will continue to offer software support for Premiere, and I expect that support will be there as long as they have Premiere products being sold and under warranty. (They still offer Some Premiere products, the 1U+, M-class players, etc..)

Jim

Back