• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Premier; BRs must be imported to play?

Vodder

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Hi all, am I right in thinking that in a premier system, any blu-rays in a vault (M700 or DV700) must be imported onto a premier server before you can play them?

I saw something in K support pages implying this is the case of using the M700 as a player and, if I read it correctly, other M players would be able to play them from the vault without import.

However, I just tried it with my M500 and no cigar :-(

Really hope I’m doing something wrong!

Oh and perhaps it matters but the Premier system (server at least) has import rights - which I presume means it came into existence before Nov 30 2014. That article makes reference to the settlement date even to play BRs

It gets a little complicated but here is my understanding.

With the M700 connected to a Premier system the BR discs must be imported to play. However, if you connect a M700 to an Alto player it will act like a DV700 (player disabled) and you can play discs from the vault.

The M500 will give you an option when you insert a disc in the tray to either play the disc or import the disc.

Also, the “import rights” only apply to DVD’s And you can have a server that was built prior to 2014 that no longer has import rights.

John

Thanks John. Understood on import rights only applying to DVD.

So if I understand that right then, in a Premier system, any blu-rays in a vault (M700 or DV700, I have one of each and neither will play direct, unlike when I hook them up to my Encore/Alto system) must be imported to play. The only way to play a blu-ray directly is by the M500 tray, assuming region is correct.

That really is a royal PITA if correct. So in order to play any of my 640+ blu-rays I would need a 30TB 1U+ server just for the BRs or ignore Premier all together and keep my Altos... which means keeping the 3rd vault which is full of DVDs (which I was hoping to import and get rid of - which was the only reason I was entertaining the Premier route) :-(

I'd keep the vaults connected to my Alto's for blu-rays only however, looking at the pairing setup page, it looks like you can only pair "players" Strato with an Alto OR pair Encore system with Premier system; you cannot mix it; ie keep the Alto's paired with the Strato's and the "system" pairing to the Premier servers/players.

Or am I confusing myself again? :)

OK, I have the definitive answer on this, and, sadly it is a resounding NO to what I was hoping. I spoke with K, in the premier system when using vaults, BR's MUST be copied to the server before they can be played. DVD's are different based on the whole November 14 thing.

🤯

So you get better performance/instant playback of those discs at the cost of creating a local copy - assuming you can afford the luxury of the premier server(s) to match the number of BRs you want. If you are fortunate enough to be able to pair it with a unit with import rights as least you can "lose" the DVD's from the vault.

Guess, as ever, comes down to user preference and wallet depth. Now I'm over the initial shock (namely because Alto plays direct from Vault, I'd assumed the Premier players would work the same way), I'm off to rework my spreadsheet... LOL

Since you have two Vaults, the other piece of information you might need is that the Alto can only connect to one Vault. At least that is my understanding. The 3U server can theoretically connect to unlimited number but K suggested no more than 10 per server.

John

Aye, I’m not sure specifically sure about Alto to vault limits, but Stratos paired with Altos can only access 2. Add a Terra and that limit is lifted

I have a 18tb (usable) 1u in the marketplace that would get you half way there. 😁

Kevin D.

LOL. I love your thinking Kevin! :) I already did the maths on it too... by time I get it to UK, and assuming I get smashed on import fees, then I'm not sure I can make it work. (never really understood why second-hand goods attract import fees - or maybe I just don't want to - haha)

Back